Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I want to do the 22 cent mod and I know I'll need 2 #4 washers. I have been to several hardware stores and when I ask for #4 washers they look at me like I'm an idiot. (not %100 untrue) I can't seem to find any info on these magic washers. Anyone know where I can obtain a couple of them?

·
Administrator
8,368 Posts
Bill -

They need to be stainless washers (though some use brass). My local ACE had them, but it's an old family run business that has a lot of unusual stuff. They even have a bear cannister that they've had on the shelf for the last 15 years or so.

There is a local electronics store that has scads of small stainless hardware, so you might try something like that. Perhaps even RadioShack.

T

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Sure you need TWO?

'bout any washer will do; something approaching .030 thickness, more-or-less . . .

Stock engine, one may be enough, IMHO.

Oh, yes . . . YMMV!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent chart Don. Thanks. Thats is what I was looking for.

I thought I needed about .04" thickness for the mod but that chart shows that each washer is .04" so I would only need 1. Guess I better bring my caliper to the hardware store and start measuring.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I went to lowes and got them

·
Registered
9 Posts
.22 mod

I just finished the .22 mod, and I got my washers at Ace Hardware. I also drilled the 7/64 hole in the slide, and drilled out the plug to open fuel screw. The washers I got from Ace were .035 thick each, so I only used one. Put it all back together and rode it today, and the mod does make a little difference down low. I am curious of the fact of using stainless washers? Of the posts I read when researching the mod, this is the first time I heard of the stainless thing. What is the reasoning behind this, and is it truly necessary given the washers location? :19:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ok, I want to do the 22 cent mod and I know I'll need 2 #4 washers. I have been to several hardware stores and when I ask for #4 washers they look at me like I'm an idiot. (not %100 untrue) I can't seem to find any info on these magic washers. Anyone know where I can obtain a couple of them?
First off, the kids that work in the hardware stores don't know much. I Lived in Sacramento for a long time. You can find them in any ACE, OSH, Home Depot, ect... You should see them marked #4 ss . They are for 4/40 screws. For under 1/4" stuff, you will typically have 2/56 (if your lucky) 4/44, 6/32, 8/32 8/36 (if your lucky, 10/24, 10,32. Also if you need some cheep calipers, you can always get a set from Harbor Tool and Freight off HW50 or HW99 at 5051 Fruitridge Road. Also There is Blue Collar Supply at 4871 Florin Perkins Road. That is a very cool place with all kinds of toys!

I think I got my #4 washers at the ACE off Auburn Ave.

PS; Just a suggestion, spend a little more and put in a KLX needle instead. I did the 22 cent mod first and I was happy, then I did the KLX needle and re-jetted to 142 and I was VERY happy. It's the same amount of work. Don't forget to adjust your mix a little richer. My experience is the factory sets them too lean. Mine was 2 1/4 turns from the bottom.

·
Registered
72 Posts
#4 washer

Is this a 4mm washer or sae size washer?

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
SAE size.

Inside diameter: 1/8"

Outside diameter: 5/16"

Thickness: 0.032

Stainless or brass

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Thanks for the quick response!!
We have "competitive helpfulness" on this forum. Gotta move quick, or someone else will get the bonus, which is TWO pages of catalog paper to use in the clubhouse outhouse. Some of the guys read one, use one. I can't stand being in there that long. Kinda like riding a bull. Eight seconds, and yer a hero in my book.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts