Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was kind of thinking of this after reading Paper's thread about the GPS tracker and also since the weather's nice enough I'll be riding to and from work through the boonies and in the dark coming home.

Where do you carry your cell phone? Do you carry it in your clothing or on the bike somewhere?

I carry mine in an interior jacket pocket. I've heard people say that's a bad idea because it could cause further injuries in the event of a crash.

I figure I'll take that chance because I may be separated from the bike in the event of an accident. Will I be able to get to the phone on the bike? Will whatever the phone's in on the bike even still be on the bike? If it is, will the phone still be intact? I'd rather have a couple of broken ribs and a phone in my hand than good ribs and no phone.

What do you guys think?

I recently upgraded to a touch-screen phone. It seemed "cool" at the time I picked it out. I carry it in a padded case, but now wish I would have been a little more sensible and picked out another flip-phone or one of those "outdoors" models that would be more likely to be intact after a drop or blow of some kind while riding. That big glass screen seems pretty fragile compared to my old phones.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Pants pocket. Probably dumb. I have an OLD nokia. It ain't giving up the ghost without a fight.

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
Usually in one of my upper pockets on the jacket. Sometimes I throw it in the tank bag.

The other day on the way to work I tossed it in my tank bag with my wallet. Then I noticed that I left my tank bag unzipped. I had this vision of my wallet and my phone along with everything else in there bouncing on the ground behind me. Think Yard Sale.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm fortunate to have a Samsung Convoy (because I carry it on my belt and it falls off sometimes because my jacket unhooks it) that still works after having been dropped several times and not run over. May need to rethink this.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
BlackBerry in upper pocket of jacket, unless there's a chance of rain. Then it's in one of the bags (waterproof).
A lot of time I use it as my MP3 player, so that's why it's in the upper pocket.. Usually one of the front pockets of the Darien..

·
Premium Member
5,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I ride home at night, one of my concerns is that if I have an accident and am injured to the point I can't continue on, what would I do?

My wife is already asleep by the time I head home and she doesn't get up until 5:00 a.m. Unless she had some kind of premonition or got up and realized I wasn't there, she wouldn't know I didn't make it home.

Fortunately, we use a local, independent cell phone company/carrier and our coverage is really good in this area whereas the big carriers are really spotty around here. Apparently our company uses their towers, but they feel our company-specific towers aren't worth messing with. I have good coverage along my route.

There's about a 7-mile stretch of road I ride where I know if I have an accident, there's little chance of anybody coming by until about 4 in the morning when people start going to work. The other roads have somewhat-regular traffic.

But, depending on what happened, who knows if anybody passing by would be able to see me or the bike? I've made it a point to actually drive my wife along the part of my route she's not really familiar with so if I don't show up or if I break down and I have to wake her up to come get me, she'll be able to find me.

I don't really "worry" about this and certainly won't give up the ride because of it, but like to put the odds in my favor as much as I can. I have my work flashlight with me I could always use to try to signal cars if I was off the road and unable to move, etc.

I think I'll continue to carry the phone in the padded case in my interior jacket pocket.

Sometimes it's the littlest things that can make a big difference. People at work give me crap because I carry my Motorola radio in its holster "backwards" with the back of it facing out. I had a supervisor tell me it "looks stupid that way.'

When I used to fly in the Army, we carried our survival gear in a mesh vest we wore. When I first started flying, my platoon sergeant, an old Vietnam vet, told me to always place things in the vest, especially the radio, so they were facing in. He said that way, if you're "effed up in the head" as he put it, when you look down at the stuff, it makes more sense to you than looking at it in reverse. I trusted he knew what he was talking about and have done it ever since.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I usually keep my cell in my tank bag. Im not concerned about being seperated from it in an accident. If I find myself starting to get too concerned about that I just think about the fact that I didnt even have a cell phone until about 8 years ago, I made it 38 years without one. Kind of puts things into perspective for me.
Reminds me of a recent 300 mile roadtrip I took. I got about 20 miles from my house and realized I had forgotten my phone. I started to panic and almost turned around and drove back to get it, then I thought about how Ive driven across the U.S. three times without a phone, Ive travelled in 7 different countries without a phone, Ive riden up and down the west coast numerous times without a phone, Ive gone hiking/camping out in the middle of nowhere for a week without a phone, Ive gone rockclimbing for days at a time without a phone. Screw it, I can certainly make it 300 miles without it.
I find that if I leave it at home now, I dont care.
The thought of being seperated from it doeant bother me at all now.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
When I ride home at night, one of my concerns is that if I have an accident and am injured to the point I can't continue on, what would I do?

My wife is already asleep by the time I head home and she doesn't get up until 5:00 a.m. Unless she had some kind of premonition or got up and realized I wasn't there, she wouldn't know I didn't make it home.

Fortunately, we use a local, independent cell phone company/carrier and our coverage is really good in this area whereas the big carriers are really spotty around here. Apparently our company uses their towers, but they feel our company-specific towers aren't worth messing with. I have good coverage along my route.

There's about a 7-mile stretch of road I ride where I know if I have an accident, there's little chance of anybody coming by until about 4 in the morning when people start going to work. The other roads have somewhat-regular traffic.

But, depending on what happened, who knows if anybody passing by would be able to see me or the bike? I've made it a point to actually drive my wife along the part of my route she's not really familiar with so if I don't show up or if I break down and I have to wake her up to come get me, she'll be able to find me.

I don't really "worry" about this and certainly won't give up the ride because of it, but like to put the odds in my favor as much as I can. I have my work flashlight with me I could always use to try to signal cars if I was off the road and unable to move, etc.

I think I'll continue to carry the phone in the padded case in my interior jacket pocket.

Sometimes it's the littlest things that can make a big difference. People at work give me crap because I carry my Motorola radio in its holster "backwards" with the back of it facing out. I had a supervisor tell me it "looks stupid that way.'

When I used to fly in the Army, we carried our survival gear in a mesh vest we wore. When I first started flying, my platoon sergeant, an old Vietnam vet, told me to always place things in the vest, especially the radio, so they were facing in. He said that way, if you're "effed up in the head" as he put it, when you look down at the stuff, it makes more sense to you than looking at it in reverse. I trusted he knew what he was talking about and have done it ever since.

You should get a Spot tracker and pay the additional fee for tracking. When in tracking mode it sends a track every 10 mins or so. Your wife would have a good location. If your able to acitvate the help or 911 function (included in the basic service) you more than likely wouldn't have to lay there for an extended period. The help function will text a phone(s) along with email and the 911 function will have emergency personel calling a designated phone.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Cell goes in a pocket in my pants underneath my 'Stich. Think lower pockets on cargo pants. Spot tracker lives in the big chest pocket so that it sits just bellow my rib cage. I always want the Spot on my person, after having a few significant offs, I've always separated from the bike.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I carry my phone in the chest pocket of my jacket. Statistically, you are unlikely to impact that area of your body in a crash and if I do go down and am injured I don't want to have to drag myself to the bike to call 911.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Inner zipped pocket of my riding jacket.(along with my wallet). Thinking of getting the SPOT tracker before my next longer travels.:)

·
Premium Member
5,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You should get a Spot tracker and pay the additional fee for tracking. When in tracking mode it sends a track every 10 mins or so. Your wife would have a good location. If your able to acitvate the help or 911 function (included in the basic service) you more than likely wouldn't have to lay there for an extended period. The help function will text a phone(s) along with email and the 911 function will have emergency personel calling a designated phone.
I've given it some thought. They do have some interesting features.

If you activate the Help feature, does it pinpoint your location or does it just narrow down a "search" to the area you traveled between the last "squawk" and the next scheduled one that is missed?

Kinda pricey for me, though. I'm assuming you'd have to enter into some kind of contract? Where I live, it would kind of suck having to pay for it during the months you're not using it, but I suppose it would also be very handy for hiking/hunting, etc.

You run into the old cliche, "Well, what's your life worth?" With me I guess it depends on who you ask.

I'm still considering one, though. There are some places I hike to and fish that don't have good cell phone coverage and it would be nice to have it then.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I've given it some thought. They do have some interesting features.

If you activate the Help feature, does it pinpoint your location or does it just narrow down a "search" to the area you traveled between the last "squawk" and the next scheduled one that is missed?

Kinda pricey for me, though. I'm assuming you'd have to enter into some kind of contract? Where I live, it would kind of suck having to pay for it during the months you're not using it, but I suppose it would also be very handy for hiking/hunting, etc.

You run into the old cliche, "Well, what's your life worth?" With me I guess it depends on who you ask.

I'm still considering one, though. There are some places I hike to and fish that don't have good cell phone coverage and it would be nice to have it then.

The tracking, OK, help and 911 all send out a lat, long and time. You see the position on a "shared page" that you set up when you get the service. Also you can paste the location into a Google map. You setup the contact info for the OK, help and 911 functions. It will text phones and email. The 911 function will have an emergency person contact a phone.

It's an annual contract for the service look at the Spot site for pricing.

It's invaluable for our family when we are out doing things by ourselves. My son takes it when he's on a dirt bike, just came in handy when he threw a chain. He hit the help buttom, my wife got a text, I cheked his location and took the truck out to get him! My wife puts it on the dash of the car when she is out on long trips across desert roads, no cell coverage. It's nice to be able to see her progress. I take it when I'm out hunting, fishing, hiking.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I use to carry mine in an upper inside pocket of my jacket. In a water-tight container (a Zip-Lock sandwich bag).

I gave up my cell phone last fall. I carry a walkie-talkie at work, I don't get cell service at home and in my free time (riding, sking, hiking, fishing, hunting) I'm usually someplace without cell service. All the more reason to look into a Spot locator, I suppose.

·
Premium Member
5,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The tracking, OK, help and 911 all send out a lat, long and time. You see the position on a "shared page" that you set up when you get the service. Also you can paste the location into a Google map. You setup the contact info for the OK, help and 911 functions. It will text phones and email. The 911 function will have an emergency person contact a phone.

It's an annual contract for the service look at the Spot site for pricing.

It's invaluable for our family when we are out doing things by ourselves. My son takes it when he's on a dirt bike, just came in handy when he threw a chain. He hit the help buttom, my wife got a text, I cheked his location and took the truck out to get him! My wife puts it on the dash of the car when she is out on long trips across desert roads, no cell coverage. It's nice to be able to see her progress. I take it when I'm out hunting, fishing, hiking.
Hey, thanks for the link, Spec. I was under the incorrect assumption that price was per month, not for a whole year. That's not bad at all! I didn't see the Spot 2 on their listing, but all their plans seem pretty much the same.

For breakdowns, my wife's not into the whole Google map stuff, so acquisition of such a unit would be contingent up on her being able to punch lat/long coordinates into her GPS which I'm sure she can probably do but is something we've never had to do before.

Since she's always the one hounding me about where I'm going to be riding, I may be able to swing one of these devices using the "safety card."

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Or you can just ride with folks who have fancy shit like Spot, GPS, etc. :character00271:

·
Premium Member
5,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Or you can just ride with folks who have fancy shit like Spot, GPS, etc. :character00271:
Being an old hillbilly, even the cell phone and computer violate my deep-rooted anti-technology stance.

This is what happens when you marry a younger girl from the Big City with yearnings for these fancy, new-fangled inventions. Electronic doohickies slowly infiltrate your life to the point where you think you're living in the damned 21st Century or something.

Next thing you know we'll be getting a robot. I suppose that would be okay if it can be programmed to run a Weedeater and pick up dog crap.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts