Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all . . . Bought a '98 with a plastic tank, great guards, a bunch
of upgrades. I love it. Everything was right in the world until . . .

While riding, I noticed a buzzing noise during the middle of the RPM range. I could not find it and it was hard to reproduce with the bike stopped. Then after another 15 minutes, the neutral light came on and remained on while
in gear and moving. While stopped the indicator acted correctly. Then, 5minutes later, when I heard the buzzing, I could see the neutral light activating with each buzz. SO, I'm guessing that the sensor is loose. Do y'all think I'm right? And if so, where is the sensor? Anyone seen this before? Thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
Right next to the front sprocket. Remove the sprocket guard, (three 10 mm bolts) and you should see it pluged in in front of the chain.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found a 14mm nut/sensor, one green wire, under the chain. If this is it, now what b/c it is tight and plugged in well. Could there be a problem on the other side (inside) of the sensor?

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
I would check those wires real good, because they are so close to the chain. Next I would check the clutch lever. Has anyone done the safety by-passes on the bike?
Do a search on safety, or by-pass and you should get a few threads on doing the by pass. One of the by-passes does cause the netural light to come on, so it could be those wires and shorting out.
I've never heard of the sensor going bad, not that it couldn't, but in three years on the KLR forums I've never read about one going bad.
Joe

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Daddyjoe, all wires seem good here and it seems the clutch safety is active and the kick stand has been bypassed - I'm going to take it apart this weekend and check everything out. I have been reading the FAQ for a couple of weeks before I bought it so that I would know what I was getting into. Y'all are a great resource and I will contribute anything interesting I find.

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
The internet and forums have helped me so much with the KLR and other bikes. It also has helped me a lot with our motor home.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You were right

It was the clutch lever safety switch. That was pretty good - where did you get that crystal ball? Anyway, the bike was stripped down and put back together since I last posted and I am glad I did it . . . found out what DPO stands for. Thanks again for your help

1 - 7 of 7 Posts