Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far i have put over 500 miles on dirt on my KLR since I got it a few months ago, so far the only other off road rider I have seen is 1 I met coming off the first dirt road I turned on minutes after I got the bike. Have not seen 1 since, not a single one.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
So far i have put over 500 miles on dirt on my KLR since I got it a few months ago, so far the only other off road rider I have seen is 1 I met coming off the first dirt road I turned on minutes after I got the bike. Have not seen 1 since, not a single one.
Arkansas? They probably all started out clustered up in front of this kid's porch listening to him play. After that, you don't want to know......:20a:

Note: To keep things real, that movie was set in Georgia, not Arkansas..........

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am a hillbilly and proud of it.

I see dual sports all over the highways, guess most of them are like most of this forum, afraid to get it dirty. If I had to use one of these for a highway bike I would get rid of it drive a car, road bike it ain't.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
I am a hillbilly and proud of it.

I see dual sports all over the highways, guess most of them are like most of this forum, afraid to get it dirty. If I had to use one of these for a highway bike I would get rid of it drive a car, road bike it ain't.
Amen, my man. I wear overalls and have been known to urinate off my front porch wearing nothing but my underwear and I eat squirrels.

I gotta admit, though, for the most part I like the KLR on the highway for shorter trips and I've seen pictures of people on this forum who can ride better than me taking their KLRs where I'd never take mine.

·
Registered
901 Posts
My KLR sees dirt as often as possible - but truth be told, the majority of the miles on my bike are from commuting to/from work, 36 mile round trip each shift.

However, as I said, I love heading into the hills or into the desert areas on the bike. I'm still working on improving my off-road skills, but overall, I don't think I'm doing too badly.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
My KLR sees dirt as often as possible - but truth be told, the majority of the miles on my bike are from commuting to/from work, 36 mile round trip each shift.

However, as I said, I love heading into the hills or into the desert areas on the bike. I'm still working on improving my off-road skills, but overall, I don't think I'm doing too badly.
I've been riding motorcycles for a long time, but still lack in basic off-roading skills like balance, coordination, reflexes, etc. In other words, I'm just an oaf. Fortunately, for the most part, I possess enough wisdom to recognize my limitations before they get me into serious trouble......

·
Registered
901 Posts
I've been riding motorcycles for a long time, but still lack in basic off-roading skills like balance, coordination, reflexes, etc. In other words, I'm just an oaf. Fortunately, for the most part, I possess enough wisdom to recognize my limitations before they get me into serious trouble......
Definitely wise words - and words I try to live by. I've found that the older I get, the longer it takes for things to heal, so I don't really push it too far. I try to do a little more on occasion, but I've never been the type to try to "catch air" or kick up rooster tails all over the place.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
There's trails all over Arkansas, maybe you don't see them because they're tucked away back in the trees away from the gravel roads.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Don't know.

Increasing my post count so I can post pics, links, etc.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
You're certainly entitled to your opinion, albeit dogmatically expressed, Dave0430/O430; however, I profoundly disagree.

My riding partner has 55,000 miles on his '08 KLR650, having traveled to Mexico, Canada, and considerable jurisdictions between 'em, including Colorado passes, Big Bend (good heavens! You don't suppose Big Bend is CLOSED, under the federal government shutdown, do you?), etc.

His other bike? A BMW boxer twin, parked in his garage, mostly!

I've ridden three Southern Appalachian Tours with him; two "token" KLRs amid a BMW-rich convoy! :)

I would not presume to generalize, regarding the application of the KLR650; a passable "road bike," within my experience and observation.

That said; "YMMV!" (Your Mileage May Vary)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Definitely wise words - and words I try to live by. I've found that the older I get, the longer it takes for things to heal, so I don't really push it too far. I try to do a little more on occasion, but I've never been the type to try to "catch air" or kick up rooster tails all over the place.
When I'm on the KLR off road I feel like I'm 1/2 my age and find myself doing things I shouldn't. Went to a designated off road area in the national forest Sunday where there are lots of jumps and hills, mud, big puddles and such, found out the KLR is not a jumping machine and is like trying to wheelie a bull dozer but I couldn't help myself.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Wait until you get it stuck in one of those big puddles of mud and you're by yourself. You'll feel twice your age instead of half. I think I took about five years off my life the last time that happened to me.........

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wait until you get it stuck in one of those big puddles of mud and you're by yourself. You'll feel twice your age instead of half. I think I took about five years off my life the last time that happened to me.........
Yep, I'm thinking I need to put a winch on it. :surrender:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have mine at my cabin Glenwood. There are a few of us from the Texarkana area that ride them there and around the Mena/Albert Pike area. Perhaps we will cross paths sometime.

~Tony

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have mine at my cabin Glenwood. There are a few of us from the Texarkana area that ride them there and around the Mena/Albert Pike area. Perhaps we will cross paths sometime.

~Tony
I am 8 miles from Glenwood. Have you ridden the wolf pen? I ride the Albert Pike area some, looking for a back way to Mena.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am 8 miles from Glenwood. Have you ridden the wolf pen? I ride the Albert Pike area some, looking for a back way to Mena.
I have ridden a lot of the roads around there, but only ridden the trail system in my Razr. Most would be ridden with the KLR, but there are some that if ridden on a big dual sport and completed with nothing broken, would make Atilla the Hun look like a candy ass!

~Tony

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just picked up a 2015 and still breaking it in. I put 350 road miles on today and hit gravel roads. I'll really test when broken in. The new seat and suspension are a plus. I'll be riding and touring with mine!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts