Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm looking to remove the HID lights that the previous owner put in (b/c I can't see anything with them). He also has, which I want to keep, heated grips and a fan.

So, I need to find out exactly how much juice those farkles are using.
My questions is: where do I use my voltmeter/ampmeter to check?

Thanks.

ps. I'm looking to add a double headlight a la Ruckus or Buell XB.

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
A fan??

·
Administrator
8,236 Posts
...So, I need to find out exactly how much juice those farkles are using.
My questions is: where do I use my voltmeter/ampmeter to check?....
Moto13-

Unless you have a muy bodacious ammeter, ya kinna doo it, lad. If you do have an ammeter capable of reading at least 10 amps, you could put the ammeter in series with the positive battery cable.

The average Volt-Ohm Meter you get from Radio Shack will only have a milli-ammeter (reads in .001 amps, might max out at 250ma, which is a quarter of an amp) built into it.

All is not lost, however. You can use the formula P=IE to figure out the current that is being drawn by those farkles. P is the Power in watts, I is the current in amps, and E is the voltage.

You should be able to find out what the power consumption of the farkles are and then calculate the current draw by flipping the equation around this way: P/E=I.

If the grips are 40 watt items, then the current is 40W/13.5V=3A. 13.5v is about right for the electrical system. Also bear in mind that, if the grips have a decent controller, they are not on all the time.

Hope that helps, though I bet the manufacturer actually lists the amperage each item draws... Lights, of course, are rated in watts.

Tom

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Thanks Tom,

I guess i'll have to look up each manufacturer and find out how much juice they use. As for the heated grips, you're right that they're not on all of the time, but they will be on when the lights are on, and when it's that cold is exactly when i don't want to overwhelm the bike (it'll be freezing).

As for the fan, the previous owner felt that it helped cool the engine when the temp got over 210 on hot days or when going 75+ mph for extended periods of time.

Thanks again. If anybody else has something to add, tips, etc, please add them - i'll take any help I can at this point.:)

·
Administrator
8,236 Posts
Moto13-

Was this a second fan on the radiator? Interesting. I'd like to see pictures of that installation.

Where abouts in Maine are you? I lived in Winslow for a while as a kid.

Tom

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I'm curious about the fan, too.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...the fan...

I'll try to get a couple of pics for you guys by weekend (busy life here).

Tom, I live in Northport ME, about 15 mins south of Belfast, or 15 mins North of Camden ... on the coast obviously.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts