Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a suggestion on which Powerlet socket kit to go with? I'd like a power outlet to plug in my GPS but want a socket that's close to the handlebar so I can also use a Dual USB Adapter to plug in and power other items as needed. Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
There are several shown here:
https://www.google.com/search?q=bar+mount+usb+outlet&biw=1680&bih=923&tbm=isch&imgil=1u5nCq5vXmRA7M%3A%3B034V9BhDeWumoM%3Bhttps%253A%252F%252Fburnsmoto.com%252Fdual-usb-charger-weatherproof-bar-clamp-mount-motorcycle.php&source=iu&pf=m&fir=1u5nCq5vXmRA7M%3A%2C034V9BhDeWumoM%2C_&usg=__vMkF4OverCBHFdh0UN20OSvBlV0=&dpr=1&ved=0ahUKEwjaxZny4aHMAhVC12MKHUteD-cQyjcIXA&ei=ZtgZV9r6L8KujwPLvL24Dg#imgrc=1u5nCq5vXmRA7M:

Some are single outlet and some are double. Some are higher amp rated and some lower. Pick what you need.

I have mounted a waterproof cigarette lighter outlet to my handle bar. Then I can plug whatever USB outlet I like into it. I use a rubber band or a zip tie to hole it in firmly because anything that plugs into a cigarette lighter has a spring loaded center pin which will push itself out with the vibrations of the bike.

·
Registered
541 Posts
This outfit called 12VTechnology has a nice assortment of marine-grade outlets (including dual USB outlets), mounting solutions and related accessories. I've been purchasing my outlets from them for awhile now with no issues.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Is it a Garmin ? I bought this power wire and wired direct.

The issue with the typical powerlet is that after a while the plug wears out and becomes "loose" so to speak which has the GPS jumping from power to battery constantly.

I also bought this.

I used the powerlet for my air compressor. The USB stays nice and tight and I could charge my cell phone off it while riding without issues. There are definitely better ones out there but this worked well for me.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
..................The issue with the typical powerlet is that after a while the plug wears out and becomes "loose" so to speak which has the GPS jumping from power to battery constantly.
One of my GPSs uses a USB power supply. After miles of rough roads the USB plug gets loose in the power supply which is plugged into a 12 volt outlet. So, I put a little WD40 on the USB plug and plugged it into the USB supply. Then I made a sleeve around the plug with JB Weld. After setting up the lubricateded plug slipped out leaving a perfectly shaped sleve to help keep it in place.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I think I am getting this one from Amazon....

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm very happy with this one - pic attached

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great suggestions. I'm using a Delorme but there is an equivalent to the one noted above so I'm going to grab it. Thanks again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts