Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am a Brit who lives in Portugal, where I have a Suzuki B-King and a Buell Ulysses. I am planning on splitting my time between southwest Portugal, where my apartment is, and Chiang Mai in Thailand. Six months/six months. To this end, the Ulysses will have to be sold (great bike). The only big thumper on offer in Thailand which does not attract 80 per cent tax is the KLR650 as Kawasaki have a plant in Thailand (Triumph Scramblers are 15,000 GB pounds!!!!). So it is going to be the KLR. This will make a great bike to explore, not only Thailand, but Laos and Cambodia. I can afford a new one. Is this the way to go? What benefits are there to the 2013 bike compared to an older one? And, although I don't often go that fast, what is top speed in miles per hour and I'd be interested in the 0-60 mph time? Thanks, folks. Nick.

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
If you can afford it get the 2013, otherwise you are looking for a used bike. That's the biggest benefit.

Top speed - I'll say about 85 mph depending on your butt size.

0 - 60 mph - Again a guess but maybe 15 seconds. Never felt a need to take my KLR to the track.

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
It was a guess. It isn't exactly a rocket nor a spec I care about. It's faster than that. Unfortunately it's winter here so I'm not able to give a number that may be more realistic.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
The KLR has a low top speed, but it can get up off the line. I've heard. :evilgrin0007:

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
Motorcycle Consumer News magazine publishes acceleration and top speed figures for essentially all bikes in current production.

Don't have my copy of the compendium issue handy, but . . . top speed of a KLR650, as I recall, was in the nineties; quarter-mile in the 14s or low 15s.

Will share the exact data, if I can recover it from research.

Don't know the relevance of the performance to a purchase; no world land speed record candidate, performs about as expected for a machine of that displacement, weight, and level of tuning stress.

This clown clocked 91 mph; GPS:

Hey, you're in luck, sports fans!

Looky here:

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/technical/2013JanPerfIndx.pdf

'06 clocked at 98 mph; '08 at 93 mph (extra fairing drag on the later model?).

0-60: 6.04 seconds for the '06; 5.83 for the '08.

Dat's da name o' dat tune; this magazine accepts no advertising.

----------------------

Quarter-mile elapsed times and top speeds:

'06, 14.52 seconds, 85.71 mph.
'08, 14.40 seconds, 87.08 mph.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ive owned a 1999 and a currently a 2011 I like them both equally but the styling is better on my 2011. Still wish I had my old "greenish blue" monster though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts