Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
KLR 2018 and BMW 1150rs
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my years MTB spoiled me. Both brakes are controllable by your hands. Such a great idea.

Before I went deep into looking, I though I would check in with the forum,

Questions:

A) Why have dirt bikes persisted with the "right foot rear brake" - when we have a obviously under-busy left hand.

B) Who has done in on a KLR.

This link suggests a low cost option is available.
DIY LHRB that retains the foot brake | Electric Dirt Riders - ALTA Redshift and STARK Varg Forum

Mark911- seems confident and clear...
(but I have not confirmed all his options)

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Number

· Administrator
10,121 Posts
@GoMotor did that, but he hasn't been around in a while. That bike also had a Rekluse clutch installed. He had to abandon his KLR down in South America. I don't know if @pdwestman ever saw his bike with the left-hand brake set-up and could describe it. I know Paul saw the previous bike but don't know if it also had the left-hand brake setup on it.

All that says is that it is possible, but I have not seen a write-up on how to do it. GoMotor is a pretty ingenious fellow.

· Premium Member
12,048 Posts
I do not recall how GoMotors LH rear brake was connected or operated, sorry.

One might search GoMotor threads created or his individual postings in brake threads.
Click on the 3 DOTS in upper RH of screen, click on Members.

· Premium Member
12,048 Posts
they'd still be opposite which may take a little getting used to.
In the 1960's & at least early 1970's, bicycles had the front brake lever on the RH side.
When and why did bicycle manufactures switch sides?

90%+ of the population are Right Handed so better to control the most effective brake with the most trained hand, I would think.

· Registered
527 Posts
In the 1960's & at least early 1970's, bicycles had the front brake lever on the RH side.
When and why did bicycle manufactures switch sides?

90%+ of the population are Right Handed so better to control the most effective brake with the most trained hand, I would think.

AFAIK it's always been that way, it's definitely the law for North American bicycles currently.

originally bicycles only had rear brakes and if they were lever controlled (opposed to a coaster brake where you peddled backwards) it was put on the right side because of the right handed dominance. when they added a front brake lever the right side was taken so it went on the left.

I'd guess they never changed it because you really don't need your dominant hand to stop a bicycle, especially with modern hydraulic disc brakes.

· Registered
182 Posts
When I ride someone elses bike, I conciously think about it so I don't screw up!
That's why I switched, if I went back and forth from bike to cycle, it would only be a matter of time before something happened.

· Administrator
10,121 Posts
This is about bicycles.

I have been riding since I was four, so 62 years. In my misspent and callow yoot I raced crits and worked in a bike shop as a mechanic. It was my first real job and it was during the big bike boom of the early '70's.

We saw all sorts of bikes, mostly domestic but enough foreign-made bikes to make life interesting. Most bikes had the front brake on the left and some had it on the right. Being a curious sort I endeavored to find out why. I think it was in Fred DeLong's book that I found the answer.

At one point, most bikes didn't have brakes that were much more than a spoon that rubbed on the tire. Most of your braking was done by backpedaling the way we now do on a fixie. A rear brake that acted upon the rear rim came about, but it was for shit as far as stopping power goes. Folks reasoned, rightly, that since it was such a shitty brake that the brake lever should be mounted on the right so that people could use their strongest hand to actuate the brake. This is why there are so few lefties remaining; they all but died out of the gene pool because they couldn't stop. Sorry, I digress...

Later, especially after brake shoe material got better (the first ones were leather - I have some- that were a hoot in the rain), front brakes were added to bikes. The right side was already a de facto standard for the rear brake, so the front brake went on the left.

And there you have it. England, of course, does it backward.

· Registered
KLR 2018 and BMW 1150rs
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm not sure if it's the writing or content to compels me to believe the conclusion..

Now back to the shop and also coveting new riding boots...

· Registered
KLR 2018 and BMW 1150rs
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When I ride someone elses bike, I conciously think about it so I don't screw up!
That's why I switched, if I went back and forth from bike to cycle, it would only be a matter of time before something happened.
Are you saying that messing up on someone else's bicycle is infinitely less risky than messing up on your motorcycle?

· Premium Member
2002 gen 1 street-ized commuter special--Flatland Flyer--
136 Posts
i switched both my recumbents ....and move back and forth to my burgman 650.... no problem....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts