Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a ride the other day. During the first part I was buzzing down a narrow winding dirt road, standing on the pegs to absorb the impact of the potholes and ruts. Later in the ride I was cruising down a divided 4 lane that winds through the mountains. Laying on my tank bag doing, for legal reasons lets say 64+.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Went for a ride today. Started out in the pouring rain on two lane twisties. Ended up in the sunshine on 4 lane.
The nice thing about the KLR, I dont need to clean it.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Welcome to The KLR! I am jealous. There is still 2 feet of snow here. It will be at least a month before I will be able to ride at all!
Have a safe ride!
Regards....justjeff

·
Registered
2 Posts
I love it because I bought it as a surprise gift for my 31-year old son who expressed an interest in riding to/through the Rockies with me. I ride a 2015 R1200GSA, but have always been intrigued by the simple pleasure of the KLR.

I located a deal on a 2008 model here locally. It's in decent shape and my son and I are having fun doing maintenance and adding a few niceties. He may well decide to buy something with more power at some point, but if this KLR gets him started, then it's done its job. And frankly, he may decide it's all he'll ever need.

And if he decides to move on to something else, I'll just have a blast riding it myself. As much as I love my BMW, there have often been times I wish I had something less cumbersome to hop on.

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
I love my KLR for what it is capable of.

For you fellers with the new bikes welcome to the
website and welcome to a whole new riding world
opening up.

It's no crotch rocket, nor is it a great motocrosser by any stretch.

What it CAN do is roll over curbs, parking blocks, I've literally climbed
stairs, it can shred alongside a railroad bed, jam down the interstate at
90+mph, dive into and out of hairpin turns and crazy low lean angles,
cross water as deep as the tops of the tires, wheelie like a nut in the
first two gears, awesome 0-60 times before it falls asleep, commutes for pennies,
climbs hills pretty well with the heavy front end, and for you gents that
prefer a roadside private smoke n' pee break, disappearing into a thicket or dirt
turnoff is a cinch. They rarely break down, repairs are usually cheap, with the
huge sales over three decades, aftermarket support and goodies are plentiful.
If a rocket guy says "wanna race?" we can say "sure, across that creek to the top
of the hill beyond it?", and that's all I can think of at the moment.

There's nothing like a dual sport,
Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeap

1 - 15 of 15 Posts