Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does this only happen to me? You are in conversation with people that don't ride and the topic happens to get around to bikes (I've learned to gently countersteer away when I detect the signs...but I sometimes foolishly let it slip when I get asked if I golf) and when they find out you ride - they can't wait to share their favourite motorcycle crash story with you...

·
Registered
452 Posts
most people can read me pretty well when they crossed the line with me and stop before its too late ..

iget the stories far less onthe KLR than on the Harley ..

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Does this only happen to me? You are in conversation with people that don't ride and the topic happens to get around to bikes (I've learned to gently countersteer away when I detect the signs...but I sometimes foolishly let it slip when I get asked if I golf) and when they find out you ride - they can't wait to share their favourite motorcycle crash story with you...

IMHO it's an attempt to point out to you how foolish it is to ride... "them dern things are dangerous I tell you!. My brother in law's second cousin was killed on one wasn't his fault at all. He was run over pulling out of the bar parking lot!"

I just fend off the stories with a comment like "well you can slip in the the shower and die might as well live while you can".

Doesn't bother me I get far more looks of envy from guys driving mini-vans full of kids. :animal0009:

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Agree with above.......some folks are just plain jealous that they aren't allowed to ride by their other half........I was told to double my life ins. and that's all it took to be left alone......she understands it gives me pleasure to get out and ride. I just don't do much to excite her when she is driving behind me if we are on the same road at the same time. I used to ride like an idiot......you learn what is the best way to convey a sensible reaction from people......if you don't you get the WTF statements all the time.

I have had the golf guy ask why I want to risk my life on a bike......I then ask why he plays golf......does he wear a helmet from fear of getting hit by a rouge ball in the sky??? You get the same stunned look.......why?..... it'll never happen....it's so rare that I'll take my chances....ditto!
The other side of our street backs onto a golf course.....when sitting in my buddies backyard you get the whistle from a rouge ball as it screams through his trees far above your heads.......I feel far more unsafe at his house than riding my bike!:13:

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
When I hear about it I tell them about a friend who rode motorcycles all the time and was killed in a car crash..
When he rode bike he wore helmet, gloves, boots (all the gear) and when he died in a car he was spit out a sun roof and the car crushed him..

I then let them know that when I'm riding, I'm happy, and ask what they do that makes them happy??

·
Registered
452 Posts
everything cmes with risk. If i go out riding i went my way not too oldand miserable to enjoy life pooping my pants..

·
Registered
376 Posts
I don't mind them; I try to inform myself with every crash I've heard about. One of my YouTube playlists is about 70 informative motorcycle crashes.

Motorcycles are more dangerous than a lot of things, by the numbers, including cars. I don't think that's in dispute.

That means the only thing in dispute is if it's worth it. Obviously for a lot of people the answer is a resounding yes. "Zero risk, zero gain."

I think the best response is to come back with a story about a gnarly car crash. ;-)

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
It hasn't happened to me for a LONG time. Wonder why??? But yeah, it has happened. I give em the crazy eyes and they stop. Maybe with my beard now, I officially look to crazy to approach. :)

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I give em the crazy eyes and they stop. Maybe with my beard now, I officially look to crazy to approach. :)
No pics, and I claim it doesn't happen.. :animal0034:

Actually, I don't think I've seen you with a beard, so give us your best CRAZY BIKER picture!! :)

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Forgive the princess balloon and Honda shirt. ;)

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Well, I'd talk to you, but I think someone else isn't impressed with Daddy.. :)
LOL. We were both doing our crazy biker faces. I think Francine wins.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Better? :character00268:

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Nice. :) :animal0021:

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
People tell me I look like Hunter a lot. And if he had been fatter, they would be RIGHT. ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had a conversation with my mother in law about how dangerous motorcycles are as we were waiting for my father in law to land his small plane at the local airport. I told her how in 20 years of law enforcement I had only been on one fatal motorcycle crash and that was a guy that thought it was a good idea to out run the police when drunk! At the time I had been to a half dozen small plane fatal crashes. And the kicker was my in laws family has had three people killed in small plane crashes and none on a motorcycle. The real topper is that my father in law has a heart condition. Needless to say I would rather have my daughters on the back of my bike instead of in the air with grandpa. Go figure the logic of some people!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts