Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just realized that my brand new KLR doesn't even have an oil pressure warning light! Even my ancient 1974 CB750 has one... I'd think that on a bike used for transcontinental excursions Kawasaki would have added one... Any ideas as to why they didn't?

·
Premium Member
3,042 Posts
Yep, oil pressure is relatively low and not that critical. Flow is but all you really need to do is to ensure you NEVER run low on oil; I recommend keeping the oil level at the very top of the site glass and checking it every fuel fill.

If you do a search here, you'll find threads from Tom and Paul who have spent hundreds? of hours on the whole KLR oil issue.

Dave

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
Long story short: Dave nailed it. Keep it full and you'll have oil flow and life will be grand.

Long story longish, the pressure at a point just outside of the oil pump will run 10-20ish psi. If you put an oil sender there, by the time you don't have pressure there your head is already toasted.

The critical oil point in the engine is the right-hand side of the exhaust cam. That is the last place that gets any pressurized oil. If there is any place that you'd want an oil sender it would be at the cams. The problem is that the cams see oil pressure of about 0 to 2 psi. Any oil light hooked up there would be on quite a bit of the time even though all is well.

There is no problem at all with the KLR's oiling system. It will suck up a bit of oil when run for prolonged periods at 5Krpm and up, but what thumper won't? There are solutions for that (ask if you are interested) but simply keeping an eye on the oil and keeping it full is the best solution in any case.

By the by, I run a pressure gauge on the cams as well as a Ninja 250 oil pressure sensor to a warning light, so it can be done but is pretty much a fool's errand (and there's no fool like an old fool ;^)). I also have some changes made to the oil system so that I see 4psi at the cams when running at 5krpm with oil temperature of 195°F.

·
Premium Member
6,853 Posts
Neither do the Honda XR650L or the Suzuki DR650S to the best that I can tell with a short search.

Here is a link to my camshaft oil pressure gauge, but it does require a few modifications. If you click on the title in upper RH corner, one can explore more.
http://www.klrforum.com/255097-post102.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts