Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see everyone talk about the 18" wheel (great write up biker), but why? what does it do for you and the bike. what are the benefits.

sorry dumb question. had to ask. :oops:

·
Registered
990 Posts
for me originally i thought it would give me a quicker turn in. i really like the look too..i'll admit it :lol: .

what it ended up doing was slowing the steering repsonse down. the bike has a very planted feel to it. rock solid stable in high winds(i'm talking 60 mph cross winds). plus i get the kewl motard look to boot...emphasis on the "tard" as a buddy once said. :lol: offroad i get to run 10 psi or less in the front and not worry about rim dings.

i added the fork brace afterwards and it handles like it's on rails. even with 606's front and back i can rail as hard as i care to.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was kinda wondering that myself? I think it is 100% matter of taste slash preference. I myself want to do the motard deal. I'm thinking if 17". :D

·
Registered
990 Posts
anybody that i've met a coupla times or somebody who's riding that i trust is more than welcome to ride my bike. if you see me just ask. if you crash it and break it i'll be taking parts off your bike. :lol: :twisted:

·
Registered
102 Posts
larryboy: I love the look of the big front tire, with those massive knobs...

But why a 18"? Why not go 17" and have the same front / rear tire? :?:

I may do the conversion someday, and a 17" seems to make more sense.

Splain pleez..

·
Registered
990 Posts
DSjunky said:
larryboy: I love the look of the big front tire, with those massive knobs...

But why a 18"? Why not go 17" and have the same front / rear tire? :?:

I may do the conversion someday, and a 17" seems to make more sense.

Splain pleez..
for me a 17" would reduce ground clearance too much. you almost need to lower the rear to level things out with a 17"+i don't think a 130 width tire would fit the front. there is also a better selection of dirt tires for an 18".

i'm actually thinking about going to an 18" rear,i would run a 120/90-18.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I'd like to see an 18" Rear on the KLR. I'm thinking the swingarm might be in the way with the wrong tires. Also, won't an 18" put you back to level with the 18" up front? Almost need a 19" up front. But I've yet to see very many 19" tires.

·
Registered
990 Posts
one of the nevada klr's at advrider runs an 18" rear. the guy has something like 180,000 miles on klr's if i remember correctly.

a d606(my tire of choice) 120/90-18 is shorter than a 130/90-17. my bike has a little bit of rake to it..you know,slanted to the front. it would level the bike out with a 120/90-18 rear,then i could put the RL-2's on it and be raked the same as now.

·
Registered
595 Posts
With a rake like that, would it be beneficial to have the front shocks upgraded first? I can't think that any amount of dive would be very safe with a forward rake?

·
Registered
595 Posts
I guess it matters how much "Squat" you get once you sit on the seat as well. I'll be needing to get a new rear rim anyway because of damage... so I'll have to weigh this one out to see if I want to go 18" on the rear too! I love the way my bike looks now, with the large rotor, black rim, new rubber... sweet indeed.

Oh, I think I posted this somewhere else, but the rear tire... 17" is now the same overall diameter as my 18" front. I believe that I got the 90 series on the back. So... with me seeing that result I am hesitant with jumping in on an 18" rear. So you are saying that if I get an 80 series tire for the rear, I'll have clearance and the overall diameter won't be any larger than it is now?

Edit:

Here's the sizes: "Front being 110/80/18 is the same diameter as the rear 130/90/17"

OK, I pulled up a Tire Size Calculator, and found that the overall Diameter of my front is 24.92"
If I upgrade the rear to an 18" I can put on 120/80/18 and the D=25.56" (Which is negligible compared to the front. My current with 17" is 26.22)

This is if I kept with the Kenda 761's... because that's what size the offered. I'd still have a taller sidewall than the front, just barely, so it won't look goofy. It will be a narrower than my 130 I have now. So I'll still have to think about it, maybe if I see the combo in person I'll change my mind.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've got a spare front and rear wheel that I got before I discovered the TKC80 tires so now I don't really need them. I was thinking of mounting the 17" rear rim to the front hub for something to do. The number of spokes is the same so I'd just have to find the right spokes to use. Does anyone know if this will work or not? Anyone know what spokes I need to get? Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts