Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2002 KLR 650
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Initially I was curious about productions numbers of my year KLR. What are the rarer years. How many bikes are out there. I found exactly what I wanted in Watt-mans article. Now seeing how many posts there are regarding the 2022, I wonder if this year will out sell previous years. The 2022 has a tremendous draw for many that are seasoned and have never ridden before. Adventure calls. In any case, Watt-mans research is a very good read for those that haven't seen it.

·
Registered
2022 Pearl Lava Orange
853 Posts
I think the gen 3 has the potential to surpass the previous gen sales. I would clarify the sales would be on a year to year comparison. Obviously the gen 2 had a very long run so surpassing those numbers will be tough.

·
Registered
2022 KLR650 - Fully loaded
633 Posts
I think the gen 3 will have a good run as time progresses. Many think that EFI is absolutely ridiculous on the new KLR, referencing Kawasaki for putting lipstick on the pig. :p

But…..it’s the only thing that kept the legendary KLR heartbeat alive past it’s 32 year stent. Without it, production would have permanently ended in 2018 until something else came about.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I know the overall performance of my 2022 has been a rewarding experience. Definitely the best do anything bike over ever had. Another thing boosting the sales in the Midwest at least is the KLR seems to be the only bike available at most dealers

·
Premium Member
2022 KLR Adventure
147 Posts
I still haven’t seen another one on the road and as I said in another thread I’m on the road all day five days per week(sometimes six).

Either I’m blind or they aren’t as popular as we’d like to think.

·
Registered
2022 Pearl Lava Orange
853 Posts
I had a rider ask me how I liked my new Ducati while I was getting gas yesterday. I got a good laugh about that one. I said, it's great and does awesome wheelies!

·
Premium Member
2018 KLR650
326 Posts
I've seen a few. I think they are good looking bikes. How many 2022 DR650s or 2022 XR650Ls have you seen?
Can you still buy a brand new DR650 in USA?

The MY21 is available to buy brand new in Australia, but it is the last model that will be sold. The DR650 is a very popular bike here, more so than the KLR650 by far. To mark the end of the "era" MY21 DR650s come with 20L Acerbis fuel tank, Genuine Suzuki aluminium bash plate, Barkbuster VPS hand guards

·
Registered
89 Posts
My previous ADV bike was a `96 DR650. Bought it used in AZ for $2k in mint condition in 2007. Rode it a bit but found it uncomfortable on the street.

Tire Wheel Enduro Automotive tire Vehicle

Got divorced and moved back to Idaho in 2012. Sold the Suzuki for $2500 to a guy in Oregon who drove 300 miles to get it.

No idea what it would go for today, but probably a bit more. I bought the 2022 KLR because it was more street friendly and still dirt worthy.

The dealer I bought it from in Boise said they ordered their entire dealer allotment of 2022 KLR 650s of 55 bikes and sold them out. I got their last tan model and they only had one more orange one left.

I think the 2022 Gen 3 KLR will be the most popular model ever sold. The dealer said that most folks buying it were concerned about gas prices and wanting a bike to get them out of the urban areas and into the woods.

Crazy times we are living in.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have the same question.
Its a great bike, but how many new owners? How many replacements?
In my case, I had never owned a KLR650, but I got a new job, 11 miles from my house, 1 mile of gravel and a little city driving. The old DRZ400 was my favorite motorcycle ever, but I now needed something a little more highway friendly but still capable of gravel roads or running down to the crick when needed.
Then I saw the orange 22 KLR, found out it was EFI, improved geometry, and a very good seat etc. All for what I think is a great price.
So I bought one.
I absolutely love it.
47 mpg and you know the rest of the cold numbers.
But this is a really likeable bike.
There's a factor that transcends the physics of a motorcycle. I can't explain it very well but there are some motorcycles that are likeable and some that aren't. It's why I've kept the DRZ and sold my other streetbikes.
It's what makes you look foreword to riding back and forth to work or smile to yourself the instant you realize that this trip you must make is a task suitable for the KLR.
The engine isn't fast or rippy. It doesn't sound like a Ducati, not dressed up like a Harley. But it has a pleasant vibration that lets you know it's there and happy to serve. It may sound silly, but it Feels Reliable.
The seating position puts me in charge of this happy companion. I'm comfortable, with enough leverage on the bars that they won't get ripped out of my hands should I miscalculate a stump.
Handling is very neutral too, I can pretty much wear this motorcycle. I don't ever have to "think" about driving it. It just reads my thoughts and does what I want.

So, yea I love it. I hope they sell a bunch.

·
Registered
2022 Pearl Lava Orange
853 Posts
There just may be a large surplus of used 2022 klr650's in the near future. I've already seen a fair amount on advrider for sale. Same goes for the Tenere T7.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts