Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

Will this bike compete with Gen 3 KLR sales

4K views 41 replies 19 participants last post by  DPelletier 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Will this bike compete with Gen 3 KLR sales?

Simple answer: NO

#3 ·
Probably will remain a unique small production bike for a while. Looks like a blast to ride, more power and lighter. No accessory support, higher cost than KLR and no proven track record yet. I read an article from ADV Rider last month on this bike.

#7 ·
Is that Kove reviewer Fortnine?...sure sounds like his voice? Anyway regardless, being the skeptic that I am, I notice the Kove reviewer decided (after his glowing Utube review) to apply for affiliate membership with Kove. IOW, he sees a money making opportunity there, so as always, I'll be taking the review with a large grain of salt.

I watched Fortnine's (not assuming the Kove guy is Fortnine) review of chain cleaning/lube products. My take away from the "scientific" aspect of that review was somewhat skewed by the fact that his results seemed to fly in the face of decades of practical experiences with the myriad traditional, time-honored cleaning/lubing methods. Even so, I decided to abandon kero as a chain cleaning agent in favor of Fortnine's top-pick stuff, based on his findings that kero may penetrate past O-rings/X-rings and possibly remove some factory lube.

Okay fine, but where to buy? Searched around, found that it appears the primary (only?) seller is Fortnine, himself. So how did that situ come to be? Did he become an authorized dealer before, or after his "scientific" comparison review? Chicken/egg?

#14 ·
Apples and Oranges. Watched the Everide review then of course there were many other reviews on this bike that popped up. I think if you had to slab 200-250 miles the KLR might be more comfortable. Mine isn't after a couple hours but the 450's seat looks dirt bike. There seems to be a void that most people are looking for - 500ish cc, 50 hp, 300-350 lbs wet adventure bike that can cruise hwy @ 65 and isn't $12-$15,000 dollars US. This bike seems to be trying to fit in there. Their web site shows $9-$14,000. Unless they sell a boat load, there probably wont be aftermarket du-dads and parts for repairs or service will be order and wait but I don't know if that's so uncommon these days even for a gen 2 KLR. These motorcycle channels seem to follow a formula of buy a bike, review it, ride it then sell it and move to the next unicorn.
Oh and the reviewer kept coming back to the fact that around 6000 rpms is where this bike likes to live to feel that 50 hp. I like my tractor @3000 RPMs on slippery surfaces

#15 ·
The Kove 450 Rally is no doubt impressive. I believe the professional reviews, as it has been reviewed by Cycle World and Motorcycle.com.

Keep in mind these are pre-production bikes, and these guys have NOT ridden actual EPA approved bikes for sale in the US. None of that matters with chassis and handling, but it will matter with engine performance. How is the fueling? Will it make the same as-tested power after it passes Emissions? Why is the bike so attractive? Price? Looks? Will you really want to ride this bike long distances to take advantage of that 8 gallon fuel tank? At 80 mph it's spinning at 7K RPM. Will the engine handle extended running at that speed?

The most important question, which is the Elephant in the room, how reliable will this bike be in the real world? I don't care that their bikes finished the Dakar rally. That don't mean jack in terms of real world reliability. Everide is being overly glowing in his faith with Kove. The second Elephant in the room is parts availability. If you break plastic, headlights, shifter, clutch lever, foot pegs, fuel pump (sucking gas from 3 different fuel tanks no less!), water pump, will you be able to easily obtain these parts?

Finally, the glowing tests were all done almost exclusively off road and not back to back against likely competitors such as Honda 450, 500 EXE-F. This bike is begging to be ridden on the road as well, in order to find out if the promise of a semi-comfortable long distance, lightweight adventure bike is true.

Anyway, despite the glowing reviews, too many unknowns with Kove, their product, after sales support, reliability, etc. I'll let the early adopters answer all these questions. In the mean time, I'll watch from the sidelines and buy a T7/TA760/VStrom 800DE. ;)

#16 · (Edited)
Okay fine, but where to buy? Searched around, found that it appears the primary (only?) seller is Fortnine, himself. So how did that situ come to be? Did he become an authorized dealer before, or after his "scientific" comparison review? Chicken/egg?

Rooster.... sorry, I couldn't help myself!

Willie

Reactions: OCL
#20 ·
Yes, I watched the full video and several reviews. It looks like a very compelling package, and not the cheapo crapo that usually comes out of China. As for market, remember that the USA will be a small part of the market. The RoW will dominate, so it almost certainly will develop lots of aftermarket accessories and support. The seat in particular would have to be changed for me, becuase I don't/can't ride standing up all day, and I usually ride an hour or three to get to where my trails start. And crash bars, of course.

Whether it stands up to long-term use is an open question. But it appears that particular reviewer beat the crap out of it, then got it back after other motojournalists beat the crap out of it, and then flogged it some more and didn't experience any problems. That's a very auspicious starting point.

It also looks mean.

#21 ·
The seat in particular would have to be changed for me, becuase I don't/can't ride standing up all day, and I usually ride an hour or three to get to where my trails start. And crash bars, of course.
Everide reported it sits at 7k RPM at 80 mph. Same as a KTM 390 Adventure. KLR650 sits at 5.5k RPM at 80? I think its in that region.

I honestly don't think the Kove 450 will make for a great highway bike. The KLR would be a better choice for prolonged 75 mph cruising.

#24 ·
All this talk about how 6-speeds are better than 5 for highway. Yet these 400-450 thumper's close ratio gearboxes are still keeping the revs higher at highway speeds.

I always wonder why none of the Japanese bikes with 5 speeds don't just make 2nd gear a little lower, and 5th gear a little taller. One tooth difference. Is it THAT hard to change gear ratios? Would really make a difference in these two areas the 5-speeds seem to have trouble with.

#27 · (Edited)
The CCP sucks ass. They truly are the enemy. The people in China are mostly just trying to live...they're not evil people, despite what you see in Social Media. But the CCP is a whole different Devil. They're like Imperial Japan in the 1930's. Itching to go to war to protect their pride and what they believe is their manifest destiny (exactly how Imperial Japan was back then). And they're a cornered rat right now. All it takes is a trigger to get them to commit and justify their own "Pearl Harbor moment". At least today, they have the benefit of history to look back on, including current events in Europe. You cannot physically defeat the US. Nor can you have peace in the region if you attack. Japan learned that lesson the hard way (so did we). The only thing that can defeat the US, is the US itself. Geography, advanced economy, the ability to be self-sustaining, the military strength and warfighting experience, is just too favorably tipped in the US side, and it would be a monumental task even with a billion man army, to win a war. In any case, pure numbers in manpower no longer holds the key to winning wars like it used to be 75 years ago. Human waves don't stand a chance against high explosive, highly accurate, kinetic weapons. No way no how. You may as well be a horde of Zulu warriors attacking the British armed with cannons and firearms. This is assuming no nukes.

Anyway, the CCP aside, I love the Kove 450's specs. It is THE Unicorn. I still would not buy it unless I know for sure that the parts supply, after sale support, and most importantly, reliability is proven. And if I find out Kove the company is closely tied to the CCP, I wouldn't touch that brand with 10 foot pole!

#31 ·
Chinese products is butt of jokes today like Japanese products used to be in the 50s to 60s. Remember a stupid brand called Toyopet? Yeah look at them now.
Ironically Japanese electronic industries had lost their steam now beaten by Korean and Chinese.
Who knows it's the turnaround time for Chinese bikes OR a $9000 disposable toy

#33 ·
#37 ·
A local dealer is offering Cove 450 tryouts now so they are around. I will admit that I don't get the comparison between what is essentially a Chinese CRF450 Rally and the 36 year old KLR dual purpose/light ADV bike. Politics aside, I also have had bad experiences in the past with Chinese knockoff bikes and quads and while that doesn't mean there can't be a better one by now, someone else will have to be the guinea pig.

What I will point out is that "better" is highly subjective......if we are using performance as the metric for "better", the KLR isn't a top contender to say the least.......but I don't think that's what the KLR brings to the table. Reminds me of this old post;

....just thinking further to this discussion; I don't consider the KLR a "low end beater". I'm lucky enough to be able to ride whatever I want; I recently had 9 bikes in the garage and sold all of them except the KLR. Yes the KLR has limited performance in stock form but I saw it as a blank canvass with good bones that had some very strong advantages; namely legendary longevity, great reliability and ease of service and repair.....plus they are everywhere making sourcing parts very easy. When you are 200 miles from nowhere, reliability and ease of repair are an order of magnitude more important than an extra 10hp or the latest electronic goodies. I expanded on the KLR's strengths by upgrading or eliminating all known weaknesses and improving key systems like the suspension and brakes. I find the results to be excellent for what I do and where I ride. It certainly can't compare to my KTM300 offroad, nor my Harley Electraglide on the highway but it can go almost anywhere and I have a high confidence level in its reliability. We KLR owners are lucky in that the shortcuts and budget components are ones that are easily upgraded or replaced like shocks, springs, bars, footpegs, skid plates, etc.....the potential is there if you want to dig it out....and a shock upgrade is the very biggest functional change you can make.I could do without my fancy silencer or LED headlight but my Cogent shock is the last thing I'd give up.

2 cents,
Dave

#39 ·
I also have had bad experiences in the past with Chinese knockoff bikes and quads and while that doesn't mean there can't be a better one by now, someone else will have to be the guinea pig.
No doubt the old kymco and similar bikes were garbage and no support. I still have one occasionally come until the shop.

I'll never own one, but I know several with the "better" chicom bikes like cfmoto that are happy after several years though. The also make motors for KTM

The sorriest motorcycles i own were built right here in the USA. Lol

.plus they are everywhere making sourcing parts very easy. When you are 200 miles from nowhere, reliability and ease of repair are an order of magnitude more important than an extra 10hp or the latest electronic goodies.
But does that apply to the KLR TODAY? Sure if you break a rod you can get one to fix it in the middle of nowhere if you want to order one. Walk into a kaw dealership and ask for valve shims and they likely won't have them. And now with the efi and electronics the KLR may not be fixable with chewing gum, a paper clip and duct tape.

I'm usually all for "progress" in vehicles but owning a gen 3 KLR id have to advise anyone to buy a 18 or older one instead .

Remember this "Quad" and its Transmission? Talk about Gear Options!

Suzuki King Quad 300 - 5-speed constant mesh, 1-reverse w/ 3-speed sub-transmission – LT-F300F

Willie
I still see a couple a year in my shop. Sorriest carb/petcock design ever made that I've seen. Lol.

Coils and cdi are failing now too but thats expected from a 30 year old machine. Never once saw one break in the gearbox though. All the sticks made getting the plastic off a half day job. The rubber heads were Held on by Phillips screws that I think came pre-rounded from the factory.

#40 ·
But does that apply to the KLR TODAY? Sure if you break a rod you can get one to fix it in the middle of nowhere if you want to order one. Walk into a kaw dealership and ask for valve shims and they likely won't have them. And now with the efi and electronics the KLR may not be fixable with chewing gum, a paper clip and duct tape.

I'm usually all for "progress" in vehicles but owning a gen 3 KLR id have to advise anyone to buy a 18 or older one instead .
Yes, it's true today; still more KLR's out there than anything else though you make a good point about the Gen3's taking another step in the wrong direction in that regard.

2 cents,
Dave

#41 ·
Yes, it's true today; still more KLR's out there than anything else though you make a good point about the Gen3's taking another step in the wrong direction in that regard.

2 cents,
Dave
I was reading an article the other day from 2018 when the klr was killed off. It stated 150k units total at that point. I know the Raptor sells around 18k a year and it's purely offroad so that seemed low for the KLR over 21 years. But I looked up goldwing and it's averaged 10k a year since 75 so I guess its probably in the upper end of bike sells.

Here is just a couple pictures of mine from my phone, but they don't scream accessible or easy to work on. Lol. My R6 was shim and bucket valves but several things were actually easier on it than the KLR. Granted mine was 04 and 06 before fancy IMU. Everything is just compounded. Have to take off the adv bat and unplug two lights to get the small cover off... to get the side cover off. Have to remove 6 or 7 bolts to remove the front tire. Etc etc. I wish I'd bought a 2018 rather than a 23. Just for simplicity sake since the efi is pretty bad anyway

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.