Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
SteelB12 I am with you on the wind. Been riding for 35 years and this bike is like a sail in it but had a great time on vacation with it. The Black Hills has a lot of trails that are very good. Yea, 80 is probably too fast for it but it will do it with no problem. I have a 1200 H/D too and it does not have the same issue because of the size I think.

·
Registered
26 Posts
We get a lot of wind here in the fairest Cape in the whole world. The wind helps the bike steer. If you are loose on the bars and a gust hits from the left hand side, it blows the front wheel out to the right which leans it in to the left. Stay loose and give gentle input to the bars.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just got my KLR but found when I had my 883 HD that hanging a butt cheek off and counterbalancing worked wonders especially when traveling through Ohio! What a cross wind state down I-75. It has been pretty windy here in Michigan last couple of days and I find that the KLR handles better then my heavy Triumph Trophy. I prefer it actually find it more manageable.

·
Honda VTX 1800c
123 Posts
My wind problems for me are over ,I raised the forks 1 in ,in my opinion it handles like a crotch rocket or similar ,also have a eagle mike brace added 1 in spacer on stock springs and lastly added 2 oz more fork oil ,the raised forks are an easy experiment no $ involved
Also took off the hand guards ,my opinion only ,not to be confused with hard facts ,lol
Ron

·
Registered
366 Posts
My wind problems for me are over ,I raised the forks 1 in ,in my opinion it handles like a crotch rocket or similar ,also have a eagle mike brace added 1 in spacer on stock springs and lastly added 2 oz more fork oil ,the raised forks are an easy experiment no $ involved
Also took off the hand guards ,my opinion only ,not to be confused with hard facts ,lol
Ron
Where did you get the spacers for the front forks? Also any more details on the procedure? It's an interesting idea ... Thanks

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Where did you get the spacers for the front forks? Also any more details on the procedure? It's an interesting idea ... Thanks

PVC makes good preload spacers. The OEMs (Gen 2) are ridiculously long as is, cheaper than springs I guess!

The forks have ATF in them from the factory. ATF is about 7 weight. I replaced it with 15 wt. fork oil and raised the level a bit. Took care of the fork/brake dive. Not as supple though. Didn't mess with the preload I figured it had more than enough!

Cranking the preload on the shock will put more weight on the front. I would try that before raising the tubes. I know this is debatable but changing out the OEM front fender for a super-moto type helped calm the bike in front quartering winds for me.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I have also done some mods to the front end of my bike to help with the handling issues from a stock bike.
First I lengthened the spacers by an inch....that helped with the brake dive to a point.
I also retorqued the steering head bearings as per the Patman's method....made a huge difference seeing my bearings were way out of spec.
I then changed the old fluid out and replaced with new correct wieght fluid......
I then added Progressive springs....again made a difference...
Then I added a fork brace...also made a difference
Then I went after the front fender.....I trimmed the last edge of the fender off to narrow the overall size of it...remember I have an 04.
Then I dropped that narrowed fender onto the fork brace.....That made the biggest difference wind wise at speed!
I now have a Britania Composite XS fairing with twin HID's....it is solidly made and doesn't catch any air like the old set up.....plus is offeres better wind protection behind the screen.
I then added Intimidators to the forks and changed the fork oil as per their recommondations to 5 wieght ...it's thinner than water! They made a very noticable difference when riding on uneven surfaces or wash boards. I can easily ride around a corner on a gravel road with washboards and not fear being slowly or violently thrown into the ditch as I ride around the corner. The valves in the Intimindators do exactly what they say they do...they control the front wheel when sharp hits are being taken because of the road conditions. Expensive yes....but worth the money same as the fairing...but the previous other mods are all worth doing IF money is an issue. A lot can be achieved by doing the lesser expensive mods to help with issues with the front end.

Hope this helps......:13:

·
Registered
298 Posts
I bought my '08 KLR a few months ago. The first day I noticed the wind was when I got caught in a famous Arizona monsoon! I swear the bike was being blown sideways on the wet pavement! It wasn't, but it unnerved me. I got off the freeway and putted home on sidestreets. For the next several weeks, I was wind shy. Every teeny gust made me think I was going over. I finally got used to it and relaxed the death grip on my handlebars. This makes it easier to ride, and lessens the hand cramps. Not I'm back to not noticing the wind that much anymore.

I wish I'd seen this thread before or immediately after that experience, though. It might have sped up the mental healing cycle.

·
Registered
366 Posts
PVC makes good preload spacers. The OEMs (Gen 2) are ridiculously long as is, cheaper than springs I guess!

The forks have ATF in them from the factory. ATF is about 7 weight. I replaced it with 15 wt. fork oil and raised the level a bit. Took care of the fork/brake dive. Not as supple though. Didn't mess with the preload I figured it had more than enough!

Cranking the preload on the shock will put more weight on the front. I would try that before raising the tubes. I know this is debatable but changing out the OEM front fender for a super-moto type helped calm the bike in front quartering winds for me.
Thanks for the tips Spec, I have my rear preload set decently high , but I think I'm going to try switching out the fork oil as the wife has recently restricted my "improvement" budget... Oil is cheap.

The supermoto fender does work well to lessen the kite effect a bit, I have had one on there since about 2500 miles.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts