Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't get me wrong here, I don't want to make my bike so big and heavy that I can't use it for what I bought it for but....................

I live in AK. and must drive long distances to reach some of my "dirt" destinations. In case you don't know the weather here is not exactly predictable. Now I don't have a problem being a tough guy and riding from home to Homer in the rain and snow (about 315 miles) but I would love to have a better Wind, Snow, & Rain deflector to replace the stock cowling on my 06.

If anyone has a retro fit that both works and looks good please post it. If no one does, let's get to the garages and spend the winter trying to become millionaires designing one.

·
Administrator
3,605 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks, I went there and checked them out. They look smaller than what came with the bike.

I'm not suggesting using a Windjammer, that was just the thread title. However I would like to see something that would do a little better job of deflecting weather than the ones on that link. As it is I use the best gear I could find and am surviving the environment.

I dream about this issue and someday just may buy another road machine just to have the protection from weather. Before you give me hell about wanting a better fairing remember I live in and ride in Alaska. The conditions here on a good day are what people down south buy First Gear Kilimanjaro for. When I get stuck in a bad ride it is a genuine bad weather ride and chances are I can't ride out of it.

I bought the KLR for the ground clearance mostly so that I can use it to reach some of my back country fishing spots. It will carry a good load of gear and roll over logs and whatever else I need to cross but it would be cool if I were just a bit more protected from the wind when on the road. Actually the fairing is only good for catching rocks and rain. Beyond that it only serves to stir up turbulence for the ride. I would remove it completely but rocks and rain are an every day threat so...................

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I have the XS fairing with twin HIDs...it is amazing ! It does exactly what you are looking for. It deflects the weather and wind while riding on the road and the lights....well all I can say is WOW!!! The adjustable windshield is perfect, allowing you to lower it for off road riding and raising it for road use. There is also an additional dash unit to allow you to add extra gauges etc for your enjoyment...so to speak!

But...it isn't cheap, not overly expensive, IMHO...worth every penny! I would never go back to mey stock fairing......I would run without it first!

·
Registered
147 Posts
You might consider the fact that when you start trying to deflect gust's of wind and rain, that it is going to throw the bike around alot more.
I had a friend that put a fairing on a 550 streetbike and it was squirley in gusting wind condition's pretty much dangerous, and the 550 has a lower center of gravity and is a heavier bike than a KLR. Just my thought's. I ride with klim gear. However I am wanting to go with the taller windshield myself.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have the XS fairing with twin HIDs...it is amazing ! It does exactly what you are looking for. It deflects the weather and wind while riding on the road and the lights....well all I can say is WOW!!! The adjustable windshield is perfect, allowing you to lower it for off road riding and raising it for road use. There is also an additional dash unit to allow you to add extra gauges etc for your enjoyment...so to speak!

But...it isn't cheap, not overly expensive, IMHO...worth every penny! I would never go back to mey stock fairing......I would run without it first!
Would you post some pic's or do you have a link? Thank's

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Willys,

I'll give the fairing a second look and maybe try one. Thank you for reinforcing your post.

Ard

1 - 8 of 8 Posts