Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is the first of 2 new rides for this year! Our friend Jamie (jled250x) is our host for the Windrock ride. He has spent a lot of time riding the area to help make a great weekend for us! Most days will be aggressive enduro riding, so make sure and bring your cheater bike for this one. There is some great adventure riding in the area, outside the park, for those that want to venture out.

Who: All are invited.
What: WindRock & Roll!
Where: Windrock Gap Campground.....https://www.windrockgapcampground.com/
When: April 16-18, 2021 (early bird on the 15th)
Why: Great Enduro riding to be had!

Jamie has the back portion of the campground saved for us.....just ask for that area when you get there.

1 day of Windrock Park
(Trails | WINDROCK PARK - The South's Premier Off-Road Adventure Park -$25 single day)

1 day of trails outside of the park
1 day of local dual sport touring (Brushy mtn, etc)

rider....................steed..................days
jled250x..................CRF450.............Thur-Sun
cherokee_chuck....KLX650R.........Sat-Sun

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Keep in mind hwy 116 has some gravel in the corners sometimes from the mine trucks.

If you're in the area check out Walden Ridge Rd.
MAP LINK If going out of Oliver Springs east on 330. About a mile or so out of town, 330 turns left. Don't follow it and stay straight. Then (some miles later) turn left of Walden Ridge Rd. It's gravel with a great 50 mile view just before the top. On a clear day you can see all the way to the smoky mountains. Walden Ridge road drops you back out on hwy 330 and 330 is not the best part of the Devils Triangle by far!

They also have an app for Windrock
App

Good old style burger joint "Scottys hamburgers" here: 36.29967507805068, -84.22087078393722 Eat in or under covered deck.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, Toney! You should come over and enjoy!

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Thanks for the info, Toney! You should come over and enjoy!

Tennessee was home, we lived right on the "Devils Triangle" and could see the Windrock "Windmills" from the back deck but now western NC is the place to be. Can't beat the lower end of the Blue Ridge Parkway.

You guys be careful up there. There's trails there that are way over a KLR's head no matter who's in the saddle. It may look easy but can turn to shit in a hurry.

Make sure you know where you're going. Many times I'd be stopped and ask by lost riders how to get back to where they were. A GPS and a map are your friend and never ride there alone.

Just so you're aware of it, there's Copperheads and Rattlesnakes there. You probably will not see one but they're not to be messed with if you do. I've seen a few of the Copperheads and I saw a big Rattler that had been hit but not killed. I didn't nurse it back to health.

My son (30 years old then) got bit on the foot by a Copperhead some years back over on Norris lake, not at Windrock. Put him in a wheelchair for months. Cost him 28K in hospital bills. Nasty little FN snake!! It's illegal to kill them but I did at our house there. I figure those little assholes owe my family!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
About 1.5 weeks remaining! Gonna be a fun time!

jled250x..................CRF450.............Thur-Sun
OPW........................KLX650R..........Sat-Sun
(ha...no mistake....2 KLXs)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok, what happened to the Small Bike ride? Looks like 650s and 450s...I just got a DR200SE and I am sure that slow little thing would never keep up. Picked this one up for the wife as she expressed a desire to learn to ride some on gravel and forest service roads. She was a very good mountain bike racer so I think she will enjoy this. Its fun to ride but doesn't have much get up and go...lol

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, what happened to the Small Bike ride? Looks like 650s and 450s...I just got a DR200SE and I am sure that slow little thing would never keep up. Picked this one up for the wife as she expressed a desire to learn to ride some on gravel and forest service roads. She was a very good mountain bike racer so I think she will enjoy this. Its fun to ride but doesn't have much get up and go...lol

View attachment 29150
Ha...well small bikes is a fine analogy. Cheater bike is what I actually referred to, which my KLX650 is for me....about 60lbs lighter than my KLR.

Folks can bring what they want, we were just letting it be known the enduro riding we have planned for a couple of the days can be challenging for our normal choice of adventure bikes, like the KLR.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Updated....

jled250x...............CRF450L/250........Thur-Sun
Matthew.................WR250R..........Fri(pm)-Sun
" " friend.................CRF450L..........Fri(pm)-Sun

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Updated....

jled250x...............CRF450L/250........Thur-Sun
Matthew.................WR250R..........Fri(pm)-Sun
Skylar.................CRF450L..........Fri(pm)-Sun
xr600guy.................XR650L...........Thur(pm)-Sun
Jagger_snitt............XR650R.............Fri-Sun
David Goins............CRF250L.............?-?
yotaman423............FE350................?-?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts