Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Below is what has become of these rubberized "fasteners" that hold the windscreen on. Two of them fell apart as shown and the other two are hanging on by a thread. I think I remember Tom had replaced his a while back and I cant for the life of me remember what they are called or where the thread is.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Wellnuts

Flash;
They are called wellnuts. I buy mine at Lowe's, Home Depot, or most full service hardware stores.
Cost between $.50 and $1.00 each. The replacements you buy will be of a much better quality than the OEM ones. Probably not Chinese???:46:

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wellnuts. Thanks TrailRider !!! Now I can go to the hardware store and ask for the right thing instead of looking like an idjit asking for a thingamajig. I doubt I'll find them in metric sizes. I measured the OEM screws at .190 O.D. a 10-32 wellnut and screw should fit fine.

Your avatar is.....disturbing.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Flash;
They are called wellnuts. I buy mine at Lowe's, Home Depot, or most full service hardware stores.
Cost between $.50 and $1.00 each. The replacements you buy will be of a much better quality than the OEM ones. Probably not Chinese???:46:

I hate wellnuts! They will spin and you have to figure some way to hold the back of them to get the screw off.

I replaced all of them with J-nuts. I had concerns about the vibrations maybe cracking the plexiglass but that hasn't happened in 20K miles. l also replaced the wellnuts that hold on the fairings with the J-nuts.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Wellnuts. Thanks TrailRider !!! Now I can go to the hardware store and ask for the right thing instead of looking like an idjit asking for a thingamajig. I doubt I'll find them in metric sizes. I measured the OEM screws at .190 O.D. a 10-32 wellnut and screw should fit fine.

Your avatar is.....disturbing.
Flash
Just take one of the windshield screws with you to the store. Try it on for fit. I believe that you will have no trouble finding the correct size. The screw pitch seems to be the only problem. I have always found two pitches of wellnuts in that size are available when I go to make a purchase.
I hope you enjoyed my avatar????:46:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts