Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all:
I have a 2017 KLR650 and am experiencing a lot of turbulence while driving faster than 50mph.
It looks like the windscreen creates the turbulence right at the height of my helmet creating a terrible noise inside. I have to use ear plugs on long trips.
The curious thing is that if I stand up and get the full wind it 's much quieter.
Does anybody on the forum experienced that?
Any suggestion on how to improve it?
Thanks!

·
Registered
118 Posts
The stock shield creates an area of low pressure behind it, which is what's causing your problem. I had the same issue, and for a free temporary solution I just took a dremel with a cutoff wheel and chopped the windshield down as far as possible. That got my head in mostly clean, turbulence free air. Now I have a Madstad windshield, which is amazing.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi all:
I have a 2017 KLR650 and am experiencing a lot of turbulence while driving faster than 50mph.
It looks like the windscreen creates the turbulence right at the height of my helmet creating a terrible noise inside. I have to use ear plugs on long trips.
The curious thing is that if I stand up and get the full wind it 's much quieter.
Does anybody on the forum experienced that?
Any suggestion on how to improve it?
Thanks!
I experienced exactly the same thing. I'm about 5'9" and the turbulence was right at the bottom of my helmet making for a very noisy ride. My 6'2" son has no problems because the turbulence hits him in the shoulders.
My first attempt to solve the problem was with a Clearview shield which sits in front of the stock windshield allowing a slot of wind between the two shields to produce a very laminar flow. The result was absolutely quiet riding, smoother than a Goldwing. The problem was the nearest edge of the windshield was perilously close to my forehead, resulting in a few stitches when I bailed off while I had my faceshield in the up position. 🤪
The second approach, and the one which I'd recommend if you're about my size, is the medium sized National Cycle KLR Shield: https://youtu.be/UNmNVEJQsVU
It's fairly quiet, sits a decent distance from my forehead, and is moderately light and flexible. I also tested that once and the whole thing popped off when I bailed over the front of the bike. 😁

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sorry for that airplane video which popped up into my prior post. It's an interesting video but has nothing whatsoever to do with a KLR.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was thinking of trying KLR dash with one of their widescreens. Moving the windscreen forward. Has anyone tried it? It's it worth the 200 plus dollars? I am 6ft 3, and drive a lot of cold mornings.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts