Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done a windshield delete? My whole thought about this is most of the time if we are running trails, we are going slow and on roads we are usually under 65mph. I don't mind wind hitting me, what I don't like is the buffeting noise of a windshield. When I stand up and get into clean air, my helmet is quiet.

·
Registered
69 Posts
While I'm on a Gen1, I did this by happy accident. I agree with you about having the helmet in clean air.

I do have a large Clearview for cold commutes, but haven't commuted in a bit for various reasons.

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
Has anyone done a windshield delete? My whole thought about this is most of the time if we are running trails, we are going slow and on roads we are usually under 65mph. I don't mind wind hitting me, what I don't like is the buffeting noise of a windshield. When I stand up and get into clean air, my helmet is quiet.
im your guy. motard conversion

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm talking more of a windshield delete and not a fairing replacement, but it does look cool.

·
Premium Member
6,718 Posts
Apply 2 layers of masking tape on the convex surface, mark a line below the 'duck-tail' (on a Gen 1) which causes the buffeting & saw it off. Owners do this kind of stuff all the time.

If you don't like it yet, saw it off even shorter.

On a Gen 2 there is not much lip or 'duck-tail', but enough height to shorten at least twice. 3 times if you also trim the pointy fairing parts off.

Your bike, your way.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On a Gen 2 there is not much lip or 'duck-tail', but enough height to shorten at least twice. 3 times if you also trim the pointy fairing parts off.

Your bike, your way.
I've been thinking about that, but I don't have a spare windshield... I only have the OEM tall.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I like the direction maverick9611 has taken. I have a 2nd. gen. bike and absolutely hate the entire fairing, particularly the noisy and heavy upper section. Going "motard" may be in my future.

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
I like the direction maverick9611 has taken. I have a 2nd. gen. bike and absolutely hate the entire fairing, particularly the noisy and heavy upper section. Going "motard" may be in my future.
i will sell ya my cyclops headlight if your interested. dirt cheap, i had hard time getting the h3 bulbs to work. blinkers included

·
Registered
41 Posts
Wingingit74,
I’ve got a stock windshield that came with mine I don’t need. Had a wing extension screwed on it so left 4 holes near the top. But if you’re going to grind it down and make a cover plate even with the fairing, would be perfect for that I’d think . $10 plus shipping if you want it.

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm pretty tall (and sit on a tall seat) so I'm way up there in the wind on my Gen 2.

I've tried a variety of windshields all the way up to adjustable Madstad.

None of them work.

So far the best option is the mounting plate from the Madstad with no windshield on it - it's even with the top of the plastic spikes. It's about an inch too tall yet - if I stretch out my helmet is in clean air and things are quiet.

Next step is a stock shield, sliced down to about 1" short of the top of the spikes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts