Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While warming my KLR to enter the Coop,(old chicken coop converted to storage) I added my new EM oil cap. The out rush of air blew the old cap out of my hand.
Is this normal? (yeah the rock hard layers of chicken poop were a bish to get out.)
Allan

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
Was it running when you removed the cap?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Yes. it is normal. Each time the 650cc piston goes up and down it pulls/pushes 0.65 liters of air in/out of the crankcase. Normally this air comes/goes from/to the air box by way of the approximately 5/8" crankcase vent tube from the top of the transmission up to the air box.

When the oil fill plug is off, part of that air goes in and out through the fill hole.

·
Lifetime Member
2,483 Posts
Good answer! :)

So the moral of the story is, don't pull the oil filler cap off while the bike is running :doublethumb:

·
Registered
28 Posts
My stock oil cap failed and blew off one day. Luckily it was while I was in the drive way. Prompted for an immediate trip to EM for a billet cap. Havent had an issue since.

·
Registered
28 Posts
How did it fail? Were you using a wench on the thumb screw cap?
Not sure exactly what had happened. I usually just hand tightened the stock filler cap. I probably cross-threaded it, but the end product was it didnt hold in place. After switching to the EM filler cap, and being cognizant of proper threading, I have had no further issues.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Not sure exactly what had happened. I usually just hand tightened the stock filler cap. I probably cross-threaded it, but the end product was it didnt hold in place. After switching to the EM filler cap, and being cognizant of proper threading, I have had no further issues.
Twice on long road trips I have pulled away from a gas station with that cap not fully tightened and had it come loose on the road. The noise made it obvious that something was wrong and I back tracked and found the cap both times. It does make me think about adding an oil filler cap to my spares bag. A safety chain would too likely to get hung up on brush in the places I like to go on my longer trips.

·
Premium Member
5,482 Posts
I tighten mine by hand, but by the time I have to loosen and remove it, I'm forced to resort to a pair of pliers to do so.

·
Lifetime Member
2,483 Posts
I tighten mine by hand, but by the time I have to loosen and remove it, I'm forced to resort to a pair of pliers to do so.
Mine does the same. Even if I tighten it by hand and then back it off a bit it still seems to autotighten.

·
Registered
28 Posts
That's another reason I sprung for EMs oil cap. Needing a tool any way to get the cap off, might as well make it a quality part. Just need a 6mm allen wrench

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
My oil filler cap gets a little tight on its own, but I have never had to use a tool to remove it. The thumbscrew I have trouble with is the petcock selector lever. I do keep a small wrench in the tank bag for that one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts