Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the first winter I have ridden a street bike and have a question on tire pressure. I own a 2011 KLR650 with stock tires. I notice that my rear tire is pretty easy to break loose when stopping. Would a lower tire pressure help? I live in Oregon so the temperatures I ride in are rarely below freezing but the streets are usually wet.

Also, I don't commute on my bike yet as I don't have good enough gear. I want to ride to keep the battery charged. How long of a ride and at what speeds will be sufficient to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance. Clifford.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I obey the No1 motorcycle law.

Ride because you want too.....not because you need too.

If you need to keep your battery charged, go out and buy a battery tender for $30.00 or so. Getting on your ride without proper riding gear and riding in challenging conditions, because you NEED to keep your battery charged, is IMHO, asking for trouble.

As for riding in the wet with a KLR, speed is a major factor. The stock Dunlops are a 50/50 tire with solid blocks of rubber that aren't designed to grip wet asphalt. If the blocks had sipes cut into them it would help but they don't. I'm sure there are great wet slab tires for motorcycles, but not for the KLR's.

As for breaking loose when braking, increase your distance, lower your speed and take it very easy with the rear brake. Relax, but be vigilant to the conditions (manhole covers, centerline oil)

Take care

·
Registered
342 Posts
Those paint stripes in the Center and in lane dividers sure are slippery little sucker, too!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts