Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this winter I plan on adding a couple things to the electrical system. I also figure I should check the valve shims. Is there anything else I should take care of while I can't go riding? It's a 2013 with just over 12k miles on it at the moment. The PO did the doohickey change out and a few other things. Still pretty new to the klr world, so thanks for the advice!

·
Premium Member
5,480 Posts
If you've never done it, Winter's a good time to take the swingarm off and get some grease in those bearings. I did it a couple of years ago and was glad I did because there was very little factory grease present in the bearings.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Agreed. I've never done any water crossings with my 08 and it was a bear to get moving. Slid it half way out, put grease on the shaft and squirt oil into the other side. Then it was moving in and out with ease. Maybe I better check it again.

Coolant flush.
Add 10hp & 6 speed.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll have to look at the maintenance record the PO gave me. I think he greased the whole rear end at some point but i can't remember for sure. I'm glad he was nice enough to keep meticulous records of everything he did.

·
Registered
378 Posts
to keep the battery healthy, take it out (unless you are in a heated garage) and every month just put it on trickle charge to keep it topped up. Also a good time to clean up the chain, and if the budget allows, add some farkles/accessories. Finally, pray for an early spring.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It will be kept in a heated garage, and one of the first things I'm going to do is install the connection for the battery tender i just got. What about checking and/or changing fork oil? Just don't want to have to do any wrenching come next spring.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I need to pull my swingarm this inter and grease it. What is the most recommended grease for this job? Don't want to have to pull the swingarm every year or two if it can be avoided.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
OK, so I just bought a "new" bike last weekend. So I'm having a blast doing maintenance and bringing her back to life. I removed the swingarm nut and tap it with a hammer and it just slides right out. But the thing is the swingarm has zerts on it from the factory. Tapped it half way out and put heavy grease on one side and squirted some oil in the other.
Since I was in the mood for a lot of maintenance on my bikes and this thread got me thinking, I figured I'd check out the KLR bolt. Removed the nut and tapped it with a hammer and it moved. Not as easily as the old Honda but it did move which was a nice feeling. Tapped it over half way out, greased and oiled and tapped her back in. She's ready to go!

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
If it hasn't been done checking the oil screen is a good winter project.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've read about the oil screen thing, i think i will add that to the list! Pretty sure it hasn't been done yet. Thanks for the idea!

·
Registered
232 Posts
I need to pull my swingarm this inter and grease it. What is the most recommended grease for this job? Don't want to have to pull the swingarm every year or two if it can be avoided.
something waterproof. when i had my rear tire replaced i just picked up a tub of Bel-Ray waterproof grease from the dealership. it probably cost 3 times as much as something from the auto / hardware store but the tub will last me several years and i was already there.

and i would still be removing and greasing the swing arm / pivot / steering stem / etc... at least every two years.

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
Bel Ray waterproof grease is what I used too. Nice stringy stuff.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So the rear swingarm and stuff was just greased 3000 miles ago, so i don't have to worry about that for a while. The previous owner installed an eagle mike doohickey with torsion spring at the beginning of the year, about 5000 miles ago. I've read something about those need adjusted, but haven't seen anything about how often.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I've read something about those need adjusted, but haven't seen anything about how often.
manual calls for every 12,000km (7,500mi) but i wouldn't think twice about doing it early. look for the small rubber plug on the left side of the crankcase at the very bottom. remove the plug, undo the bolt a turn, turn and half, tap the crankcase or frame with a soft faced hammer. tighten to 78 in/lbs, DO NOT over tighten, replace rubber plug.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just out of curiosity, What's tapping the crankcase with a hammer supposed to do?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts