Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to find a new wireless router. right now I've got the 3MB cable internet and a lynksys 2.6GHz Wireless B router, and it totally stinks big time. The setup is super slow and always boots us off the system, and I can only get "very low" strength when I'm directy over it on the above floor.

my one roomate has a wireless B card in his computer. Do I have to get a wireless B router for him to have wireless?
we had DSL before and the modem had built in wireless that worked awsome. I wish I could go back but its just too expensive, of course if I can't get this to work it might as well pay more for something that I can actually use.

Any suggestions on what I should look for? I'm pretty clueless about the whole thing.

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'm no expert but I think most, if not all, 802.11g routers are backward-compatible to 802.11b.

I'm using a Linksys (Cisco Systems) WCG200 that I've had for a couple years and it's been very reliable - much, much better than the old BEFW11S4 it replaced. I run both g and b wireless adapters through it but naturally the g gives better performance.

One thing you might look into is the possibility of hooking up a high-gain antenna to it. My router works OK in my home with the standard, dual antennas but, if it didn't, that's what I'd do. If you want to do a search, look for a LINKSYS HGA7T High Gain Antenna Kit. There may be others that would also work - not sure.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Go with an 802.11n wireless router, an then update your wireless cards to that when you get a chance. It has 300Mbps transfer rate, and should be backwards compatable but make sure first. Best Buys has a D-Link for $80...Doug

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Thanks for the insight everyone.

I ended up going to OfficeMax today and got a Linksys wireless G router. It was on sale and the clerk that was helping me said they use this model in their Frat house and it worked well. I'm using it right now and I'm happy so far. However I can't seem to get the hardline ports out the back to work. Haven't tinkered with it much, I'm probabaly just doing something out of order.

I hope this takes care of my internet woes.
Thanks again,
Brian

1 - 5 of 5 Posts