Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Garmin Vista HC and I am tired of going through batteries. Can someone please give me some advice on wiring it to 12v. It uses the mini usb port for external power. I was going to get a 12v adapter and wire it to the battery, but I am not sure if that is the best way. Any help would be appriciated.:50:

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
Hi -

I recently looked for a solution to a similar problem. I think if you Google around for a power adapter for car and airplane you'll come across some that have a cigarette adapter that terminates in a mini-usb.

Make sure you know what your Garmin's input voltage is supposed to be and look for that. Garmin may have something, but it will be ~40; a generic car charger for a Motorola Razor might be another alternative, and it will be ~$10. Again, make sure you match the voltage - you don't want to fry the Garmin.

I ran a fused 14 ga wire from my battery up to the fairing and installed a cigarette socket in the fairing. It's semi-reliable (the plug of the Garmin adapter vibrates out sometimes). Better reliability would be had using a Powerlet, but you would have to rig up your own voltage adapter.

I'm eventually going to hardwire my Garmin adapter into my electrical system. You might look at doing that, too.

Tom

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Not sure what year your bike is, but the pre-08 models have a spare set of wires behind the headlight, just hanging in the fairing. While these are pretty light wires for some accesories, connecting a GPS is perfect for them!! They're both fused and switched with the key.

I don't know what is needed to make the connection to your GPS, but I just wanted to let you know that the power wiring is already there for you to use. These wires are used in other countries to power a "running light", but in North America they're not used..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi
I just recently hooked up my garmin Legend C to my KLR also. What I did was I went to the the local outdoor store and got a cigarette plugin for a ATV. I wired this into my headlights, so that when I turn the key off the GPS wouldn't drain my battery if left unattended. I just used the cigarette adapter that comes with the garmin and plug in to this. The cost for the 12volt adapter was under seven dollars. I had the same problem going through alot of batteries also. This remedy the problem quiet well. I wouldn't try to run anything like glove warmers or anything off this, but the GPS draws such little voltage you wont know the difference. I posted my setup on another thread here is an explanation with pictures of my setup.

http://www.klrforum.com/showthread.php?t=5762

I hope this helps. Glad to help with any other questions you have. ENJOY!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the input. I am riding a 1996 klr and love it. Hope to hook up the Garmin this weekend. Thanks again to all for the advice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts