Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '09 KLR with a short somewhere in the wiring. It's an intermittent miss and does not happen all the time. I can't seem to find it. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Miss, as in misfiring? Either way there is a recall on the wiring harness that Kawi will do on their dime.

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Hello Mr. Jones, and welcome to the forum. Intermittent miss could be wiring. Could be in the fuel delivery system. As there is a recall on your bike's wiring, I would get that out of the way first off.

Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):
KAWASAKI / KL650E 2008-2009

Manufacturer: KAWASAKI MOTORS CORP., U.S.A. Mfr's Report Date: FEB 19, 2009

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 09V062000 N/A

NHTSA Action Number: N/A

Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:WIRING

Potential Number of Units Affected:

Summary:
KAWASAKI IS RECALLING MY 2008-2009 KLR 650 (KL650E8F/L, KL650E9F/L) MOTORCYCLES. WIRES IN THE WIRING HARNESS MIGHT BE DAMAGED DUE TO RUBBING CONTACT WITH A PORTION OF THE MOTORCYCLE FRAME.

Consequence:
THIS COULD RESULT IN LOSS OF ELECTRICAL POWER TO THE ENGINE CREATING A RISK OF A CRASH RESULTING IN INJURY OR DEATH.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSPECT AND IF NECESSARY REPLACE THE MAIN WIRING HARNESS FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OR BEFORE FEBRUARY 24, 2009. OWNER MAY CONTACT KAWASAKI AT 866-802-9381.

Notes:
CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO http://HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV
Again, welcome aboard!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wiring Short

Appreciate the immediate response, I will look in to the megative ground wiring short first thing in the morning. As far as having the wiring harness replaced, I live deep in the Ozarks and most of our Kawasaki shops I wouldn't let the mechanics change a plug on my bike.
I once saw pictures on this site of areas to check for shorts. If you know where I can find those pictures again, I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Appreciate the immediate response, I will look in to the megative ground wiring short first thing in the morning. As far as having the wiring harness replaced, I live deep in the Ozarks and most of our Kawasaki shops I wouldn't let the mechanics change a plug on my bike.
I once saw pictures on this site of areas to check for shorts. If you know where I can find those pictures again, I would appreciate it.

Check (er... disable) the side stand switch first. Just read of someone that was chasing start up backfiring problems. He tore into the carb, checked the valves, etc. turned out the safety switch was intermitent.

My wiring harness (08) had a short right above the voltage regulator (black finned thing right side behind the radiator). The harness runs over the edge of the bracket and the tank sits down on it. I put some additional plastic loom on the harness in that spot.

The harness recal doesn't replace the harness. It's re-routed a bit and extra insulation is added in spots.

·
Registered
272 Posts
My '08 had a short in the power wire for the instrument
Back lighting. It caused an intermittent flickering of the back light, until
One day in a downpour it finally popped the main fuse.
Left me stranded waitin on a truck to get my junk to my shop.
Harvey Jones, What kind of symptoms are you getting in this 'intermittent'
Occurrence?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kent,
The signs are, a direct miss under load. Sometimes it even shuts down the ignition system. I have removed the clutch and kickstand bypass switchs so I know that is not the problem. I had the 685 kit put on so maybe when the tank was off I pinched one of the wires and it grounded out. It does not do it all the time. I appreciate all of your suggestions. I will pull the tank off tomorrow and start retracing everything.

Harvey

·
Registered
272 Posts
wiring short

Kent,
The signs are, a direct miss under load. Sometimes it even shuts down the ignition system. I have removed the clutch and kickstand bypass switchs so I know that is not the problem. I had the 685 kit put on so maybe when the tank was off I pinched one of the wires and it grounded out. It does not do it all the time. I appreciate all of your suggestions. I will pull the tank off tomorrow and start retracing everything.

Harvey
Harvey, If you have a direct short with a power wire, it will usually pop the main fuse.
when you say it sometimes 'even shuts down the ignition system', do you mean it kills all power (lights and all)?
or does it just kill spark?
A direct miss under load may not be ignition related but carb.
any progress with what you have done so far?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wiring Short

Kent,
As I said in the past, I have bypassed both switches and have taken the tank off twice trying to find the short. I have looked all the way from the tail end of the bike up to the front and cannot find a short in the wiring. As I'm riding and accelerating the bike will sometimes miss and even stop the motor. The lights still work, starter still works and it will usually start again and idle. As long as I take off easy on smooth ground there is no problem. As soon as it starts bouncing around or on a 5 or 10 mile ride on rough ground the problem shows up again. I'm sure it is a short against the frame somewhere but I'm just unable to find it.
Any new clues would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Harvey Jones

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Kent,

Harvey
So it is intermediate, sometimes effects the ignition system, but lights stay on. You've bypassed the kickstand and clutch switches and had a 685 kit installed.

The fact the lights stay on means it's not a negative ground issue. The ignition system is an odd one. I assume it means no crank from the starter at all? That might eliminate the coil and rectifier. I don't know what issues the 685 kit might introduce but I'd double check any connectors that might have been effected. It might be interesting to check the kill switch, possibly disable it and see if the issue still occurs.
The rest is down to inspecting the wires again and again. Maybe using a meter to check voltages in the system? Wish I could tell you more.:ashamed0001:

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
The fact the bike restarts takes me back to carburetor....Have you drained the float bowl a coupla times? Water will trap there, and under rough conditions, can cause a cut out. Under less than rough conditions, the water and fuel will separate. If you have already done his, please disregard.

Keep in mind you and the bike are there. We are not. If it sounds like we are grasping at straws, we are. We can't hear, feel, see or smell what is going on there.

The restart every time would motivate me to go over the fuel delivery.
A dead short will blow fuses as has been mentioned.

·
Registered
272 Posts
wiring short

harvey, How quickly does the bike restart after quitting?
When it dies, is it like you flick off the kill switch? or does it sputter, or is it like you when run out of gas and have to switch to reserve?

Being a mechanic myself, I can tell you that solving intermittent electrical problems can be difficult, and that the first step in efficient problem solving is to accurately identify the problem. From your description I am not yet certain you have an elctrical problem.
If I had your bike I would carry a spare spark plug and go for a ride until it dies. Then quickly pull the plugcap, insert the spare plug and check for spark with it.
That will tell you if you do in fact have an ignition failure.

The fact that rough terrain sets up the failure suggests to me a poor connection thats getting shaken loose, causing an 'open' rather than a 'short'.
That connection may be in the killswitch or at any of the connectors in the ignition system.
Like vatrader said, the fact that it restarts soon after dying points to possibilities of carb/fuel problems.

A lack of spark could be caused by a coil, cdi box, pick up trigger (kawi calls it a crankshaft sensor), kill switch, or any of the wires between those items. obviously that list is after you have bypassed all the safety switches which you say you have done.
There are tests for some of these components outlined in the factroy shop manual, but the best test is usually to swap with known good components.
Get a buddy with a KLR to visit you and 'borrow' parts for testing.

Another way I have diagnosed ignition problems is to hook up a timing light and watch it flash. everytime the ignition misses a beat, so does the timing light. I have even done this while riding to identify whether a miss-fire is ignition or carb based.
Do you have a manual?

good luck

·
Registered
17 Posts
Two areas that were problems for me on my '08 were a useless bracket next to the rectifier that almost cut a wire in half and a rub spot thru the insulation underneath the upper cowling on the harness bundle going up to the instrument/headlight area. The first is very common and will cause the symptoms you describe. The second was my inspection after finding the first. I did the 'recall' myself unable to trust any stealership in my area to do the right thing in a timely manner. Only other problem I've had was the clutch safety switch at the plug next to the handle, fixed with a jumper. Have patience it really is a good bike...

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Two areas that were problems for me on my '08 were a useless bracket next to the rectifier that almost cut a wire in half and a rub spot thru the insulation underneath the upper cowling on the harness bundle going up to the instrument/headlight area. The first is very common and will cause the symptoms you describe. The second was my inspection after finding the first. I did the 'recall' myself unable to trust any stealership in my area to do the right thing in a timely manner. Only other problem I've had was the clutch safety switch at the plug next to the handle, fixed with a jumper. Have patience it really is a good bike...

My 08 blew the main fuse when I applied the brakes going to work one day. I looked over the harness carefully but never did find an obvious burned spot. I could see that the tank was resting on the harness where it passes over the rectifier bracket. I installed some additonal plastic wire loom in that area and padded the tank edge a bit. I also re-routed the harness in a couple areas under the tank and wrapped some addtional electrical tape in spots. No problems since (2+ years ago).

·
Registered
272 Posts
harvey, did you find anything yet?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wiring Short

Kent,
I have had the tank and covers off 3 times, checked all the possibilities that I have received over the web and still cannot find the short. I have pretty much given up on finding it and will take my bike to Batesville Kawasaki tomorrow.

It's very discouraging to me because this is my 3rd 650 KLR. I had a 2000, it was bullet proof, I had an '06 and after fixing one small problem it was a perfect bike. On this bike I have had bolts come loose, lost one frame bolt, bad oil consumption and now this short. This bike is the biggest piece of junk I have ever owned and I have had over 30 motorcycles since I have been a young man.

After breaking the bike in and doing the first oil change, by the time the bike hit 1,600 miles I had used almost 2 quarts of oil. When I pulled it down to put the 685 kit in it, I found that the piston and the barrel had 5-1/2 thousands clearance. If any of you have ever rebuilt engines on bikes, you know that 2-1/2 thousands is about the right clearance between piston and barrel. If I didn't have so much money in the bike at this point, I would just sell it. But I know that Kawasaki has a good design in this motorcycle, so once I get the bugs out I'll keep it. Wish me luck.
Harvey

·
Registered
5,596 Posts
The ignition of your '09 (and '08's, "10's and '11's) is dependent upon battery voltage, 12 VDC, unlike the '07's and older models, whose ignitions were fired solely from alternating current from the exciter coil of the alternator . . .

Thus, I could not say you do NOT have an electrical short problem. You MAY have an ignition kill circuitry problem; something momentarily interrupting power to your "fully-transistorized" inductive discharge ignition system.

And . . . with all electrics working during the shut-downs, I'd check the fuel delivery and carburetion system also, as others have suggested . . . may not be an electrical problem at all.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts