Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2018 klr650 5500 miles
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know if there are any related subjects but i just bought a 2018 klr. I would like to upgrade to a led product as i have stripped off all my plastics(and i don't intend to go back). I bought a 6.6 ims gas tank and installation seems strait forward. The trouble I am running into is finding a decent highly rated LED headlight. I recently purchased a wimasic daymaker head light and a housing for it. The more I read on the wisamic is that it is mostly compatible with harley bikes. Now this is mainly an experiment as I am going out on a whim here in thinking that the wire structure beneath the wire molding will be virtually the same as most electronics and certain wires within the wisamic and my wiring diaphram for my klr. This is a hope of course and i wouldn't mind some feedback as I do not have a ton of experience in wire splicing. Any drawbacks or advice would be helpful.

·
Premium Member
9,160 Posts
The headlight circuit of the 2008+ Gen2 models burns the low beam 100% of the time. Both LOW & High are ON when the switch is in the High position.

This may take a little 'ingenuity' on your part to wire it correctly.

·
Registered
2018 klr650 5500 miles
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
turns out the wisamic headlight fits the adapter for the for the low beam and high beam klr adapter. the housing i bought though, it unplugs the light when turned to the extremes and always turns on low and high beam. I do not know if both on at the same time is leagally to bright but testing it at night it doesnt seem too much. To continue forward i think i will keep the settings as i do not plan on too much night driving. I do plan on adding extra lights that i may wire into the highbeams for lighting up the trails for when I spent more time on a trail and ended up in darkness(2nd gen klr lighting is fixed and is garbage when riding on trails). Otherwise I have minor fixes on the headlight to keep it attached to the stock klr headlight attachment and the high beams are always on, on the Wisamic daymaker for the harley davidson 5.75 headlamp and the housing. the housing doesnt quite fit the headlamp snuggley but with modifications (I.E. maybe some silicone and longer side bolts.) i believe i can make this work.

·
Registered
2018 klr650 5500 miles
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have spent a lot of time on my klr( I got 220k+ out of my last 09 one) and a question i got is what are some of the things that break down first. My first response always is the plastics. They are cheaply made, over encumbering, and are expensive to replace. The next thing I would say next is to replace your skid plate Immediately if you plan on off roading! Normal maintence (oil, filters, oil!! especially on long journeys! check after filling gas) After that it comes down to maintaining your carb, about every 30k miles i had issues and needed to give it a good cleaning. Make sure you dont over tighten the clutch cables (i have had this problem and turned down new prospective bikes because of this issue) but this bike has been an awesome beginners bike and beyond!

·
Premium Member
2013 KLR 650/692, 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
1,454 Posts
Since you’re dumping the factory bodywork, here’s a different approach: JW Speaker makes an LED 7” round “Adaptive Headlight” that has additional lighting elements (and some kind of lean sensor built in) that light up to illuminate into the turns. It’s not cheap, about $650, but well worth it if you ride at night. I bought one for my Electraglide and now that I can see into corners at night, I feel much more comfortable riding after dark.

·
Premium Member
9,160 Posts
One of the biggest problems with the KLR headlight of Both Generations is that the headlights next to NEVER get properly adjusted Vertically for the current owner & their normal LOAD.

On flat ground, front tire against a wall, most of your weight on the bike. Mark the high beam Bright Spot.
Back away from the wall, 25 feet. The Bright Spot needs to have a 2 inch / 50mm drop.

They all came out of the factory Way Too High & the assembly kid at the dealership almost always put the Gen 2 windshields on before getting to the 'Preparation' part of the new bike set up. And chances are that he was skinnier than you anyways and then people add luggage or lowering links.

I find the Gen 2 headlights to be quite acceptable when properly focused.

·
Registered
2018 klr650 5500 miles
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for advice guys. As for the 650$ headlight that does sound like a pretty cool adaptive headlight. I had considered a fancy head light but this bike will more than likely see rubber side up more than a few times. I would be afraid to have fun, worried a rock my come up and smash it.

I completely gutted my gen 2 front end on purpose. On my 09 i accedently did it by dropping it so many times and breaking off the plastic. My biggest complaint about the gen 2s is the fixed head light and the bulky plastic. First time I got stuck on a trail at dusk it was a nightmare! All that plastic is very encumbering, not being able to see the terrain your going into, . It makes the bike feel like a hulking clumsy machine .

that is some good advice for the headlight though. I did not know how to adjust them. will give it a try!
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Sky Vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant community Automotive tire

·
Registered
2018 klr650 5500 miles
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lol should i keep it? most of the parts were just ordered in the last month so i havent gotten around to making sure all is kosher. hell i just barely got that windscreen to stop moving position within the last week or so. Im still experimenting that is why the headlight is all cockeyed. I am going to start a new thread though to take in some suggestions for stylizing the bike. I first wanted to get a base. I love the klr as it has gotten me out of many life or death situations that is why i bought a 2018. i just had to make sure it was legal before i make it into my apocalypse bike!

·
Registered
2018 klr650 5500 miles
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
as you see right now the rockies are still in a lot of snow so i have had limited oppertunites to get out and test what i bought but i still stick behind shedding those flimsy plastic panels that cost more than rebuilding the engine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.