Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

http://www.wmgr.org/

Always an excellent time!! And you DON'T have to be a Guzzi Rider to have a great time!! Usually around 300 people, and there's usually around 20+ ADV rider that show up for BSing and drinking the Beer that's INCLUDED in the rally fee..

And the fee.. $30 if you pre-register before July 1rst.. You get fed, beer, camping for the weekend, and it's only $30.. I can't stay home for that!! The roads are fantastic, too!!

One of the ADV guys by the handle of BENRON made a map of Wisconsin.. The rally puts you smack dab in the good stuff!!

So, if you're able, consider it!! I know of 3-4 guys on this forum that will be there (sorry, but yes, I'm one of them) and you'll have a blast!!!

And to quote the gentleman who puts the rally on, we don't care what you ride, but we don't want any beer left over.. :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Ordinarily, I'd like you there to meet you and see what all this Guzzi
business is about but I'm getting married that weekend. Too late to reschedule.
Mac

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gat naried at thr rally!
That was supposed to say
Get married at the rally, but my fingers are big, and the screen and buttons on my BlackBerry are small..

Anyway, Congrats, and always remember, the Wedding Day is HER day..:)

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just throwing a reminder out there...
As long as the weather co-operates, it should be a blast!!

It's the one rally I really look forward to every year.. I've driven by the campgrounds about 10 times in the last few weeks..

·
Registered
122 Posts
When we were at Money Creek (Affair Tag) We heard about the Guzzi rally held there a few years ago, 2008 I believe. Hopefully you won't have rain like that this year.

Have Fun,

Sleddog

PS....We're starting the CDT this Friday. Maybe we should take Snowmobiles instead of the KLR's!

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, the WI Guzzi Rally is on top of a hill, so flooding isn't an issue, but lightning always is..
The Corporate Guzzi semi trailer is still being used as storage at a farm just south of Money Creek.. Saw it last fall when I was leaving the MN Guzzi Rally..

Be careful on your trip!! Looking forward to following your progress and hearing about the adventure!!

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A little dusk BSing..

Double A being mean to me..

View of the rally.

New skid plate for my GS, done by Twin Headlight Ernie (makes great KLR parts, too)

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The rally was a lot of fun, except we had a mishap on Saturday morning, shortly after breakfast..
One of the group riding with me got a touch wide on his 1994 BMW R1100RS and caught gravel on a left hand turn.. He kept the bike upright, but proceded on the grass, the off a bank of a creek.. The bike when into the 2' deep creek and he went over the bars, and against a rock bank on the other side.. The bike flipped and went a little further down the creek..

Jim (the guy who crashed) suffered a couple slight vertebrae cracks, and a couple cracked ribs.. He's been released from the hospital and is in good humor.. The bike is in bad shape.. Unsure what will happen with it, but I'm guessing it'll be totalled.

The EMT's, Sherrif's officers, nurses, and doctors all thanked Jim and the rest of us for wearing full gear.. Had Jim been riding without a helmet, the outcome would have been much, much worse.. He took a pretty severe impact to the back of his new HJC helmet, and didn't even get a concussion.. Without it, we'd be holding services for him this week..

I was leading the group, and we have a rule amoungst us that we all ride at speeds we're comfortable with, and when any direction changes are made, the leader and all stop and wait for the rest of the group..
I noticed that half of the group (six bikes) was missing, so I slowed and slowed, until I finally turned around.. I rode about 3 miles back to the site of the accident to find a first responder already there, and Jim sitting up.. Double A had been right behind Jim and stopped and called 911 right away, and there was a first responder in his car only a couple miles away..

I don't like the feeling of riding up to an accident, and it's even worse when it's a friend.. I'm thankful that Jim's going to be OK, and it was a good lesson for all..

·
Registered
122 Posts
Damn Paper......Glad to hear Jim is going to be ok.

Too many of your & my friends have been lucky this summer......

I just had the ATGATT discussion with a co-worker this morning......He said "If I rode as much as you, I'd think about wearing protective gear, but it's usually too damn hot to"

Sleddog

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was wearing my mesh pants, with my mesh jacket, full face helmet, and Klim gloves sitting under my bike, as I was waiting for Double A to ride home and get his SUV and trailer to haul Jim's bike back home..
A "pirate" rode by with loud exhaust, t-shirt, shorts and tennis shoes.. All I could think about was how differently this could have ended up.. Jim was able to keep the bike completely upright due to ABS, but he had no idea the creek was there.. If it had just been flat grass, he would have been fine..

If the pirate rider had done the same, they would have needed something to absorb blood.. As it is, Jim's jacket and pants are still serviceable, as all he did was get scuffed.. The helmet's junk, but a great reminder for the shelf.

The EMT's were dreading coming to the scene because all they had for info was that there was a single motorcycle crash on a corner on County O, south of Platteville.. They arrived to an awake, breathing (slowly getting breath back), man who wasn't bleeding, and was mostly just pissed off that the accident had happened in the first place. He had a couple scuffs on his eyebrows because of the sunglasses hitting him when the helmet took impact..
The EMT's were expecting the worst.. And arrived to find a bad accident with a damned good outcome.. They had Jim stand up to put him on a backboard, due to his condition and the location of where he was at, on a creek bank with a steep incline..

Again, I've given thanks to how good it turned out, and though how bad it could have been..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts