Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On April 15th I'm entered in the rockinride 32 hr rally, I'm doing it on my 2014 KLR, I've got it where I want it as far as doing Ironbutt type rides, this will be my first rally, if I can finish and do it safely and not be late to the finish I'll be happy, it's a 500 mile remote start, which means I have to start 500 miles from the finish, which is in Harden, KY, so I'm probably going to start somewhere in Michigan, I'll have more as I get myself and the bike ready.

·
Premium Member
6,677 Posts
On April 15th I'm entered in the rockinride 32 hr rally, I'm doing it on my 2014 KLR, I've got it where I want it as far as doing Ironbutt type rides, this will be my first rally, if I can finish and do it safely and not be late to the finish I'll be happy, it's a 500 mile remote start, which means I have to start 500 miles from the finish, which is in Harden, KY, so I'm probably going to start somewhere in Michigan, I'll have more as I get myself and the bike ready.
rodneyw71,
I don't get it, I guess!
A remote start?
I'd think that could be from my own drive-way!
Or just around the block from the 'finish-line'! Two hundred and fifty miles out and around. Two hundred and Sixty miles+ back to the finish line!
500 miles is just a 'cake-walk' on a KLR650! Fill up twice, just to have a 'pee break'! I can/would even throw in some dirt roads! (scenic routes).

ps, OH Rodney,
Good luck! Enjoy your ride. I'll be thinking about you. Wishing I was there.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It has to be 500 miles from the finish, which is in Kentucky, I live in Indiana and it's 400 miles to the finish, so I have to go out another 100 miles, I was told there will be bonuses in Michigan, so the day before the rally I'll get a hotel near the first bonus I want to get, there is also a rest bonus that I'll definitely be taking, have been playing with my routing software and google maps, I've been wanting to get into rallying since the late 90s, my kids are grown so now is the time, my ultimate goal is to get into the Ironbutt rally, I'd love to do it on a KLR, but baby steps.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Sounds like an interesting ride Rodney! What have you done to prepare the bike and yourself for this type of riding?
Best of luck....just jeff

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've put on a beadrider seat, throttle lock, thicker grips, New avon gripster tires, have a aux power cord for my gps and ph, line from battery for heated gear, taller windshield, that's my comfort stuff for the bike. A couple weeks before the rally I'll be adj the chain and all cables, change the oil and go over every bolt, bought a new laptop so I can do routing, so spent the weekend practicing that, but so far that's it.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Hi Rodney,
Do you have a pic of the beadrider seat? Is that like the bead seat cushions for cars?
Regards....justjeff

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm carrying extra oil but not extra gas, I did a Ironbutt ride last August and only added a little bit of oil, think that's just because I didn't get it all the way full when I changed the oil. The only thing I have left to do is change the battery out for a sealed one, I'll be running a few electronics so I don't want a problem at O dark thirty in the middle of the night.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Except for changing the oil the klr is ready for the rally, I put in a sealed battery, adjusted everything, ordered a volt meter to keep tabs on my electrical equipment, other than that it's ready to go, just waiting for the rally packet so I can figure out where I'm going.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Is this a bit like a treasure hunt so to speak? I have done them when we used to be in the Jeep clubs etc, mostly off-roading and gravel roads etc....you look for things, answer questions etc etc...they are fun.....and a great way to pass the time ...lol. Good luck.....It may be a thing i could get back into, I'm thinking KLR sidecar sort of vehicle if it's all on normalish roadways.
:character00201:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's exactly what it is, just a big treasure hunt, they give coordinates, you take a pic and hopefully get points, my goal is that with hard work and luck I'll be riding in the Ironbutt rally some day.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have a clock on my dash and have ridden in some bad storms and it didn't get wet, I have a taller windshield so it keeps stuff protected unless the rain is coming from behind me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts