·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
That guy was really lucky.

From the SF Gate article. http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2011/09/13/national/a075511D48.DTL
"Despite not wearing a helmet, Riggs said, Wright had suffered no head trauma. Wright does have two broken legs, a broken pelvis, road rash, burns on his left foot and abrasions to his forehead. The hospital said Wright was in satisfactory condition."

In the video he looked unconscious. I'll bet that getting pulled out by your broken legs and broken pelvis hurt like hell if he was awake. Or more likely he was in shock and didn't feel a thing.

That video was intense.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup. ATGATT. :50:

·
Administrator
8,482 Posts
I was having dinner with another forum member in our favorite restaurant and this was on the news. When we heard it was in Utah we said "bet he wasn't wearing a helmet". Sure enough.

This guy was freaky lucky and perhaps on more than one level. How'd he get under the car? If he had a helmet on would he have been able to slide under the car, or would the helmet have stopped him suddenly and broke his neck?

Still, I'll take the gear any day, as his luck was one in a million no matter how you look at it.

T

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I was having dinner with another forum member in our favorite restaurant and this was on the news. When we heard it was in Utah we said "bet he wasn't wearing a helmet". Sure enough.

This guy was freaky lucky and perhaps on more than one level. How'd he get under the car? If he had a helmet on would he have been able to slide under the car, or would the helmet have stopped him suddenly and broke his neck?

Still, I'll take the gear any day, as his luck was one in a million no matter how you look at it.

T

Looks like the only thing gear would have prevented is some road rash and the forehead abrasions. He's lucky he's not dead though.

I remember reading about a motorycle accident where the rider's leg was ripped off and sure enough the ATTGAT zealots started in! I'm ATTGAT but reallize that gear doesn't make you impervious and ride accordingly.

·
Administrator
8,482 Posts
Looks like the only thing gear would have prevented is some road rash and the forehead abrasions. He's lucky he's not dead though....
I got to thinking about this some more. How did he get under the car? Was it somehow elevated due to the impact, making room for him to slide under? If so, and had he a helmet on, would the weight of the car have crushed the helmet and thus his head?

Shudder. I'll still wear the gear.

T

·
Registered
663 Posts
I watched the Video 6 times….. the more I watched it the more I wanted to shake the hands of the people that helped….. (I also wanted to kick the suit in Nuts for just standing there)

I still cant figure out how he got under there….

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I can't figure it out either. And I agree, if you hit a stationary object at 70mph, the gear ain't gonna help too much. But I wear it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Getting under the car is easy, you put him there when he's small and let him grow up there. Then when he's full size you crash the bike into the car.

On a more serious note, the news did mention that he was conscious during the entire event.
Regards
Mark

·
Registered
689 Posts
I gotta jump on this one. LJ: remember in my know infamous high-side this past May, i hit the pavement at about 60/mph and i KNOW my AFX helmet saved my life(or at least my brain), same thing since i'm so smart:13:.Also, I was trying to figure out how he got under the car..it did kind of look like it may have been a little elavated somehow...and lastly, my wife pointed it out to me, saying "lucky bastard-where's his helmet"???

ATGATT,(which includes ear plugs, unless you want to get this ringing in your ears like i have by the time your 57!)I'm sure growing up with rocknroll did'nt help.:35a:

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good call ML. I'm all about the gear and need to be more consistent with earplugs. Good about long trips. Not so good about short jaunts. I played in bands and my hearing is bad enough. My Dad was a helo pilot and he always warned me about tinnitus. Didn't listen of course.

And yeah, the fact that he wasn't wearing a helmet and is gonna talk again is like winning the lottery twice.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts