Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my name is Gordon, New to KLR'S, not bikes or wrenching on them...
Took off a set of the Dunlap OEM tires on my 2011, put on new Kenda K761 and now I have a wobble that seems to start about 75-80mph, feels like it could turn violent. Not a problem with old tires.
Rims are true, bead seated, looks great spinning by hand with nothing wobbling oddly, rear wheel straight, spacers all in right place, tighten front axle before leg clamps, bearings good. not jumping around like a balance problem.
I always fill and release the air a few times to make sure the tube isn't folded over. (needed or not I do it)
25psi front and rear, haven't played with different pressures yet.
Any Ideas?

Will be slow to respond today, looking forward to your advice.:surprise:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was my next move, go about 36-38psi

Thank you!

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Depends on the tire of course, but after trying many pressures over the years, I've settled on 37 F 35 R for general everyday street riding. FWIW :character00201:

Reactions: gruet782

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I also use 761's nd run mine at 32 front and a bit lower in the rear....but they like to be hard!.....
I would ask about your steering head bearings also...? Lift bike foo ground, well the front anyway, see if the handle bars move on their own from side to side with any pressure...if they do your steering head bearings need to be tightened! The rule of thumb is you should have to push the end of the handle bars from side to side using just the maximum pressure from just using the back of your pinky finger nail. IF it takes more the bearings are too tight, if the bars move on their own way too loose! Just something else to concider.
Also, if you changed from knobies to a semi street tire the riding characteristics are different but still you shouldn't be getting any sort of wobble at those speeds! Sounds like a tank slapper in the making!
:character00201:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lockjaw, Willys, Thank you..
I will check the steer-head bearings, think they are loose.
Air pressure I will jack up.
I do off road but our dirt here is so hard you can get more grip with a street tire then a knobby
I will check this all out tomorrow, thanks for the advice!!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all....
Steer head bearings were good, pump tires to 36R 38F, I got my bike back!!!!!
I got a lot to learn about these KLR'S, my Harley's were a much different animal.

LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL!!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
So should I air up my stock tires on my new KLR? Still do not have enough miles on it to notice anything weird, but the stock PSI in the 20 pound range seems pretty low.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My OEM tires felt fine in the mid 20's on the street, the Kenda 761's not so much.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
So should I air up my stock tires on my new KLR? Still do not have enough miles on it to notice anything weird, but the stock PSI in the 20 pound range seems pretty low.
YES. Sorry I shouted.

I don't know how much you might weigh, but I'll suggest 30-36 PSI in the front and two psi less in the Rear. (Rider only, adjust for passenger or touring gear.)
Most of your and bike weight is on the Front tire during proper braking. So higher air pressure in the skinny front tire reduces cupping of tread. Higher air pressure means less flexing, less flexing means less heat, less heat equals Higher Mileage, both for the tires and MPG. And better handling on asphalt, less tire squirm!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Great information. I am about 180, I will have my wife on the back very often and she is about 100 pounds and the intent of this bike is to do some pavement to that dirt road that I always wanted to see what was at the end of it. There are many many cool dirt roads out here that go to old mines or follow old rail beds. I will not be doing any real aggressive off roading, I just turned 58, I just want to explore. I have my NT for those long days on pavement. OK that said suggestions on rear shock settings?

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
Stock shock, with wife Full stiff. Both preload and rebound damping.
Solo, play with it, you'll find a compromise.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts