Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I plan on heading to Mexico during the rainy season and have heard of a few mods, but was wondering if someone could give a list of mods i should have done before I leave.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Should? That's a tough one. What year bike are we talking? New? Will you be doing the work yourself or with help? Or are you going to take it to a shop. More info please. ;)

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
Tux3do

For throttle response and all around drivability, do the 22 cent mod and pull the snorkel out.

If you're going to be riding in a lot of wet with stream crossings, the T-Mod should be done.

For off road protection, a good skid plate and nerf bars - you don't want a biffed radiator in deepest, darkest Mexico.

Relocate the license plate if there will be rough off roading.

Depending on the age of your bike, you can avoid fuel issues by converting the petcock to gravity feed (eliminate the vacuum operation) and open up the tank vents. The older the bike, the more likely these are to be issues.

You may want to wire up a receptacle to power a small air compressor so that you can air up/down.

After that, Lockjaw is right - what do you have and what have you done, and what are you anticipating?

Tom

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I have a KLR 05. I plan on going to Guatemala leaving here at the end of June and coming back at the end of August. It should be super rainy and humid, difficult, discouraging and a hole lot of fun. I plan on staying on staying on major road, not the highways but if the felling comes to define my own track I would like to be able to do that as well. After all I am in Mexico.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Good call on the pegs, Darin.

I would say you'll be happy with the basic mods Tom suggested. Make sure the doohickey is replaced if it hasn't been. Then think what would make your trip more pleasant. Highway pegs? Better seat? Seat cover? Bigger windshield? That's a long trip. Good riding gear? The basic carb and airbox mods will be nice. But for a long trip, I'd be more concerned with having the right tools with me, being comfortable, getting good rain gear, etc. Do you know about the doo?

Man, you're gonna have a blast. Be careful...Mexico can turn from awesome to, 'Holy shit, how did this happen' really quick. Unfortunately, I know this from experience.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So for the doohickey mod, what tool / tools do you need to purchase beside the general metric tool kit? Also i guess its good idea to ask what other tools i should have around.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Upgrade for the headlight wiring and fuses.

Remove and lube the rear swingarm.

Subframe bolt (drill through) upgrade.

Doohickey upgrade.

NGK Iridium spark plug.

Torque all nuts and bolts.

Spare shifter.

Left mirror relocator and choke relocator.

Euro Light Switch. Allows you to turn the lights completely off if needed.

Carburetor upgrade.

New brakes.

???

1 - 8 of 8 Posts