Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm still a total n00b, bought my bike this fall (it's a 2008). I am trying to figure out the safety switches and am slightly confused after reading through some previous threads.

Does the safety switch allow the bike to start in 1st when the clutch lever is pulled in? If so, then I need to figure out the issue with my clutch lever switch.

If not, then how do I disable the switches so I can start my bike in 1st gear?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
So I'm still a total n00b, bought my bike this fall (it's a 2008). I am trying to figure out the safety switches and am slightly confused after reading through some previous threads.

Does the safety switch allow the bike to start in 1st when the clutch lever is pulled in? If so, then I need to figure out the issue with my clutch lever switch.

If not, then how do I disable the switches so I can start my bike in 1st gear?

Thanks all!

There's 2 safety switches and a neutral switch.

The kickstand switch locks out the starter if the kickstand is down. It tends to be problematic, investigate that one first. Need to short the 2 wires running from the switch (under the black plastic cover on the kickstand frame moutning bracket).

The clutch switch locks out the starter if the bike is not in neutral or the clutch lever isn't pulled in. Mine never worked. The switch is right at the clutch lever pivot, 3 wires I think, need to short a couple. If you disable the switch you can crank the starter with the bike in gear without the clutch lever pulled in with predicable results!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Spec,

Thanks for the clarification and information. Turns out the clutch lever switch plug was not in all the way :46:, but that doesn't matter anymore :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts