Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I got a tiny sliver of extra cash I most definitely should not be spending but cant resist to urge for farkel and thus I will... I was wondering what I should think of as more important on my huge list of must have farkels?

Some things on the list are:

(Edit) Almost forgot GPS

Panniers (maybe happy trial idk yet)

Wolfman tank bag

Better suspension

Some kind of trunk

More/better lighting (like LED tail and single lights)

Some kind of helpful camping gear I should know about

New Jacket (still using one from crash, it is still safe just not so much rain proof anymore, but how much rain I will ride in, not much)

I am also interested in anything else that I should have on my list.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
So I got a tiny sliver of extra cash I most definitely should not be spending but cant resist to urge for farkel and thus I will... I was wondering what I should think of as more important on my huge list of must have farkels?

(Edit) Almost forgot GPS

Wolfman tank bag

Better suspension

Some kind of trunk

New Jacket (still using one from crash, it is still safe just not so much rain proof anymore, but how much rain I will ride in, not much)

Guess it depends on what you want to do with the bike. I commute on my bike mostly so...

I have a Wolfman tankbag on my bike that's slowly disintegrating after 3 years. i don't really use like I thought I would. It's handy I guess but don't know if I would get another. I do have a tail bag that I use for carring stuff back and forth to work.

I have a GPS (Lowerance XOG) that I take on every ride mostly because it shows the actual speed vs. the speedo's 10% error.

I thought about buying racks and panniers but haven't done any long trips like I thought I would. I strapped a duffle bag on the tail rack that carried more than enough stuff for several days of camping.

Upgrading the suspension is not something I would do. The stock suspension is OK for how I ride the bike. I think that you quickly get into a case of diminishing returns with the KLR. The platform is >20 years old and upgrading one component will just highlight the inadequateses of the rest (IMHO of course).

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Guess it depends on what you want to do with the bike. I commute on my bike mostly so...

I have a Wolfman tankbag on my bike that's slowly disintegrating after 3 years. i don't really use like I thought I would. It's handy I guess but don't know if I would get another. I do have a tail bag that I use for carring stuff back and forth to work.

I have a GPS (Lowerance XOG) that I take on every ride mostly because it shows the actual speed vs. the speedo's 10% error.

I thought about buying racks and panniers but haven't done any long trips like I thought I would. I strapped a duffle bag on the tail rack that carried more than enough stuff for several days of camping.

Upgrading the suspension is not something I would do. The stock suspension is OK for how I ride the bike. I think that you quickly get into a case of diminishing returns with the KLR. The platform is >20 years old and upgrading one component will just highlight the inadequateses of the rest (IMHO of course).

Thank you! That helped me put my thoughts and wants back into perspective. I am now thinking a few helpful tools and wait till I have some more experience to know more what I need.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts

(Edit) Almost forgot GPS

Wolfman tank bag

Better suspension

Some kind of trunk

Add MUD and dump the farkles, mud is a free farkle...;)

Kurt

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Add MUD and dump the farkles, mud is a free farkle...;)

Kurt
HAHAHA She is caked in it now and plenty more to come this weekend!

Trying to pick a new jacket is a lot harder now then when I had no clue what I was doing and just got what fit. LOL Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,928 Posts

Trying to pick a new jacket is a lot harder now then when I had no clue what I was doing and just got what fit. LOL Any suggestions?

I have an Olympia AST in Neon Yellow that I wear year round.

Very nice jacket, compares favorably to my brother inlaws BMW jacket for 1/2 the price.

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts

This jacket seems to get good reviews.

Lotta jacket for the money.

http://www.newenough.com/street/jackets_and_vests/textile_jackets/tour_master/transition_series_2_textile_motorcycle_jacket.html

I wear a Aerostich Roadcrafter most of the time [approaching season 14 and still going strong], but if I was in the market for a versatile jacket, it would be hard to pass up that Tour Master Transition.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like all 3 of those jackets!!! Been hearing a lot of good stuff about Olympia lately, I wonder if they will make me a red one. ;)

My only fear is as soon as I get a new jacket ripping it up in the dirt again. I hear of everyone taking spills but how you have the same jacket for so long.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I like all 3 of those jackets!!! Been hearing a lot of good stuff about Olympia lately, I wonder if they will make me a red one. ;)

My only fear is as soon as I get a new jacket ripping it up in the dirt again. I hear of everyone taking spills but how you have the same jacket for so long.
All depends on the spill. And the jacket. I usually scope out newenough.com's clearance stuff.

·
Lifetime Member
2,483 Posts
I have the Tourmaster Transitions 2 jacket, it's awesome! It's a good cold weather jacket, but a little hot when the mercury climbs. You can take the inner liner out and open all the vents when it's hot but the liner is a PITA to take in and out.

I think my best farkel is the Seat Concepts seat that I picked up for my 08. I had a dual platform Corbin on it when I bought it, but I had to take it off because it didn't allow me to move around enough. I also had the factory Kawasaki Gel Seat, but it got really uncomfortable after an hour or so. Haven't had a chance to take this one out for more than a couple of half hour jaunts but it seems really comfortable! You can check them out at Seatconcepts.com

Cheers,
Stew

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Better to rip up the jacket than your body. A good jacket, helmet, boots and gloves are insurance against some medical bills. I've really enjoyed my mesh tour master jacket as it has a rain and winter liner which can be combined. I think it was about $120 when I got it. As for offroad riding I have a mesh compression suit I wear for that which provides better padding and greater cooling.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
What brand and where did you get it?
Alpine star and I got it at Iron Pony in Columbus. I'm a bigger than normal guy so I always try on the gear before I buy and having one of the largest MC apparel shops in the US near by makes it easier to find stuff that fits.:)

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have the Tour Master Transition....great jacket! I only wear it during the winter months since its a little much for a Cali summer.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Alpine star and I got it at Iron Pony in Columbus. I'm a bigger than normal guy so I always try on the gear before I buy and having one of the largest MC apparel shops in the US near by makes it easier to find stuff that fits.:)
Very nice! I need to find out if there is anything like that around here. So far it has been all guess and try with internets and returns. Yuck!

Edit: After closer look I was just seeing things on the collar.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts