Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
3,565 Posts
The best carrier of have seen to handle the weight of a KLR had 2 receiver mounts versus one. They conveniently show a KLR being loaded. The older model is just slightly over 400# and the new model is even heavier. Also depends on what extras you've installed to make it heavier yet.

Myself when I come up behind such a setup on the highway I pass as soon as possible.

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
I have a similar carrier; works o.k.; getting the bike loaded sometimes poses a challenge. A friendly earth berm or curb may be welcome at load-up time.

Usually, I ramp the bike up into the pickup bed.

·
Administrator
3,565 Posts
After reading some of the reviews it seems some brainiacs are using this to haul 500# bikes so maybe you are okay.

One reviewer said he put is 250# Mother and 275# sister on the rack and drove around with them sitting on it. :46: They didn't break it so I guess he figured it was good for the bike. :thumb:

Most reviews indicate it's a two man job getting the heavier bikes on it.

·
Premium Member
5,497 Posts
I had one I used to haul similar-size bikes: A Suzuki SP600 and a Honda XR650, both of which are a little lighter than a KLR. I had it on the back of a 1/2-ton Dodge pickup.

My advice? Think twice before you buy and use. I don't think your 4-Runner's suspension will take kindly to it. The back of my pickup squatted down so much I had to go get an extra leaf spring put in so my headlights wouldn't be pointed way high when carrying one of the bikes.

No matter what the weight limit proclaimed on the carrier or stated tongue weight for your vehicle/receiver you have to remember that it will sit well behind the bumper and very far behind the rear axle. Any kind of bump you go over will magnify the effects of a 400+ pound bike bouncing up and down. Hit a big enough bump and that 400 pounds could basically become 800 when it bottoms out and starts going back up. You don't really get that effect with a trailer.

I had mine modified with a couple of extra brackets to keep it from rocking on its center pivot and whenever I hauled my bikes on it, I wrapped a big log chain through the frame of the bike and the carrier and around one of the frame beams of the pickup so if it ever ripped loose it wouldn't just remain in the middle of the highway for another vehicle to hit.

It worked. I hauled those bikes thousands of miles but I also spent an inordinate amount of time with my eyes on my left side mirror watching them bounce and jiggle around and wondering if something bad was going to happen.

·
Administrator
3,565 Posts
:easy_button:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The best carrier of have seen to handle the weight of a KLR had 2 receiver mounts versus one. They conveniently show a KLR being loaded. The older model is just slightly over 400# and the new model is even heavier. Also depends on what extras you've installed to make it heavier yet.

Myself when I come up behind such a setup on the highway I pass as soon as possible.

.[/QUOTE]

I know!! That bike on there is identical to mine lol. I kinda always wanted to get one but was really unsure because the thought of that heavy bike on the back like that would probably be swaying all over the place since it sticks out so far like that and only that center receiver and no braces to keep it from swaying. Then I saw their ad with my excact KLR on it and was like wow that might be for me since it has my bike on it lol...

I know what you mean! I had an suv pass me on the highway b4 with one of those on it and was hauling a crotch rocket. I kinda felt the same way as you did with the way it looked on there and kinda sagging like that!! He was going pretty fast down the highway and hit a dip and that whole thing was a bouncing and made me a lil nervous.. lol

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After reading some of the reviews it seems some brainiacs are using this to haul 500# bikes so maybe you are okay.

One reviewer said he put is 250# Mother and 275# sister on the rack and drove around with them sitting on it. :46: They didn't break it so I guess he figured it was good for the bike. :thumb:

Most reviews indicate it's a two man job getting the heavier bikes on it.

Yeah I saw that review also lol.. I was like ooooo k yeah what if it didnt hold them!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had one I used to haul similar-size bikes: A Suzuki SP600 and a Honda XR650, both of which are a little lighter than a KLR. I had it on the back of a 1/2-ton Dodge pickup.

My advice? Think twice before you buy and use. I don't think your 4-Runner's suspension will take kindly to it. The back of my pickup squatted down so much I had to go get an extra leaf spring put in so my headlights wouldn't be pointed way high when carrying one of the bikes.

No matter what the weight limit proclaimed on the carrier or stated tongue weight for your vehicle/receiver you have to remember that it will sit well behind the bumper and very far behind the rear axle. Any kind of bump you go over will magnify the effects of a 400+ pound bike bouncing up and down. Hit a big enough bump and that 400 pounds could basically become 800 when it bottoms out and starts going back up. You don't really get that effect with a trailer.

I had mine modified with a couple of extra brackets to keep it from rocking on its center pivot and whenever I hauled my bikes on it, I wrapped a big log chain through the frame of the bike and the carrier and around one of the frame beams of the pickup so if it ever ripped loose it wouldn't just remain in the middle of the highway for another vehicle to hit.

It worked. I hauled those bikes thousands of miles but I also spent an inordinate amount of time with my eyes on my left side mirror watching them bounce and jiggle around and wondering if something bad was going to happen.
Thanks for the advice! Yeah if your Dodge squatted down in the back that much I know my 4 Runner will also and probably a lot more. My 4 Runner is already sagging a lil bit in the back without the weight. It just seemed like a pretty decent deal. Im gonna have to do a lil more research and read more of the reviews. Maybe look at some of the other brands out there as well..

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the advice guys! Gonna do some more research on this and read more of the reviews. This might not be for me. I really dont think I would be hauling it that much. I do have a small pick up truck (Toyota Tacoma) also that I could just throw it in the back of if need be, but it is kinda just a work truck and I dont think I wanna be taking any long trips in it. Plus I kinda thought it might be easier to load onto that rack rather than to ramp it up into the back of the truck. I dont have much experience in hauling them and never had this bike in the back of mine. I should try it sometime though!!

·
Premium Member
5,497 Posts
It's pretty easy to roll a bike up on one of those hitch carriers by yourself. I've hauled mine in the back my Tacoma (the really small 2003 model) on a couple of occasions. It's a 4WD so sits relatively high off the ground compared to a 2WD. At home, I can just put my rear wheels in my front road ditch and the tailgate is only about 6" off the ground so I don't need any ramps.

Sitting on level ground, I have 2 cheap folding ATV ramps. To load I start the bike and put it in gear and take it up one ramp in 1st gear while I walk up the other. It tends to get a little unnerving about 3/4 of the way up the ramp, but it's doable.

For unloading, I do the same thing but just let it roll down.

If you don't think you're going to be hauling it that much and it's a long trip where you have to take the 4Runner, you could always just rent one of those 4x7 UHaul open utility trailers if the cost would justify it.

I guess it would depend on the circumstances.

Another option would be to buy something like this then just add a rail like a $40 dirt bike channel loading ramp or make your own out of a 2x6 and a couple of 2x4's and bolt it to it:

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/trailer-accessories/1195-lb-capacity-48-inch-x-96-inch-heavy-duty-foldable-utility-trailer-with-12-inch-wheels-90154.html

They also have a smaller one for $229 but it's only 4 feet long so I'm not sure if it would be long enough.

·
Administrator
3,565 Posts
Yeah I saw that review also lol.. I was like ooooo k yeah what if it didnt hold them!!
I got a mental picture of those two heavyweights sitting on the back that I can't get out of my mind. Maybe the real story is that he bought the rack for that purpose. Glad I don't need to buy the groceries for those two.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I have used the rack, the trailer and the pickup for transporting bikes for a long time.
First, it depends on bike size of course, but I think piece of mind is the biggest issue. For short distances the rack is fine for a KLR. For any distace, I prefer my pickup bed so I'm not worrying at all during the trip. For two bikes, or my larger bikes, I use the trailer. I agree with aforementioned comments about vehicle load/suspension.
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Carrier

I saw a dog chained up once, that would try real hard to go after anything that went by. He pulled and pulled at his chain but never got loose.
One day he was sleeping next to his dog house, and a kid came by on a bicycle. It surprised the dog and he got a good running start, when he reached the end of his "big-heavy" chain..... SNAP! ( Took that chain apart like it was a piece of twine. )

You hit a big enough bump and can you tell me how much weight that hitch can take before .... SNAP !

I'll trailer my bike, thank you.

That dog was bigger then these guys..

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I just bought one to use occasionally. But you won't catch me loading my KLR on it. I agree, I would look at one of those small, cheap HF trailers.

·
Premium Member
5,497 Posts
Yours looks to be of much higher quality than the one I had, Savage. I bought mine in 1994 and it was pretty bare-bones compared to some of them they make now.

They don't seem to make my old Moto X Caddy anymore, but an internet search turned up a photo of one. As you can see, there wasn't much to it. Any receiver has a fair amount of slop, so when I had the bike loaded on this thing, you could rock each end of it up and down a couple of inches. I alleviated that by having a welding shop make me a couple of L-shaped brackets that I slide into the open ends of the receiver tube that ran parallel to the rear bumper and then bolted them to the aluminum wheel channel thing. If that hadn't been an option, I never would have used it.

If I were to use one of these on any vehicle, even a motor home or something else capable of handling the weight, I would check to see if the vehicle's receiver is bolted on or welded on. If it's just bolted, especially in areas where you get a lot of corrosion, I would augment those bolts with some welds.

All this being said, the last time this subject came up on here, I browsed a lot of motorcycle forums with similar threads and didn't come across one instance where one of these things had failed. That doesn't mean it's never happened, but I couldn't find any that had been reported.

I can't really tell from your photo since it's not a direct rear shot, but the right bike on one can also obscure your brake lights. On long trips, I mounted my license plate on the carrier so it was visible as not to encourage any entanglements from law enforcement. But, my tail lights were always at least partially obscured and there wasn't much I could do about that. I guess somebody could add some trailer lights to one to act as additional brake lights.

It seems to me, despite their weight-bearing claims, that these things are designed more for true dirt bikes in the 250cc or less category and I would imagine they are more than suitable for that use.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I agree with those that point out your vehicle's load/tongue capacity and the additional stress caused by the bouncing. But since they advertise it with a KLR on back it must be okay otherwise they wouldn't show it, right?! :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I haul my fully loaded KLR on a trailer hitch set up, but it is not from Harbor freight and it is rated to 600 lbs. O love it, and use a 4 point strap set up. Bomb proof, and piece of mind. I personally would not buy anything from Harbor Freight because of their reputation for crap quality products. I'll try to post a pic of my set up....

·
Registered
46 Posts
You might look around on Craig's List for a small used utility trailer. You could buy a removable wheel chalk, a few tie downs and there ya go. Plus, you could use the trailer for other things.
I've bought a couple ramps from these guys. www.discountramps.com

1 - 20 of 25 Posts