Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking to buy a KLR for a while now and have been watching both new and used bikes/prices and have done some research on the different years, etc.
A local dealer has a 2003 with 44k mi. In all their previous adds they say to call for price. Well, in last couple of days on Craigslist they posted a price or 1900.00 Here is a link to it.
cycletrader.com/listing/2003-Kawasaki-KLR650-99172109
What would be a goood price for this bike.
keep in mind i have the ability to completely tear this bike down and rebuild it but is it worth it?
Thanks for any advice.
~John

·
Registered
256 Posts
John,
Your ability to rebuild the motorcycle only adds value (in my opinion) if you are planning to resell it and are considering alternate uses of your financial resources. With any used KLR (especially one with 44K) the teardown issue is always a possibility. There may be other issues as well (swingarm bushings, fork seals, etc.) that will add to the cost of returning the bike to premium condition. Checking Craigslist for my area, the used price of 2008/2009s seems to be about $4K. If you take your $1900 KLR, add $500 for engine parts, $300-500 for exhaust, $300-500 for chain/sprocket/tires, figure in seals, rear shock, and other things that may need work, it starts to add up pretty quick. There are probably new (unsold) 06/07 KLRs sitting in a dealership for about $4K also. If the '03 was the most desireable KLR I might consider it. If I wanted a project to keep busy with I might consider it. If I wanted a ride, I'd keep looking.
Regards
Mark

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Thanks guys,
I appreciate the replies. I always loved the dual sports (back in my day they were called enduros). I started out just looking for a rebuild project and focused on the Honda xl 600r but just with the thought of no electric start my right knee started throbbing.
The dealer selling this bike had a big outdoor bike sale today so i'll wait and see if they managed to sell it. If not, i might go kick it's tires a few times see whats what.
Thanks again,
~john

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
why such a big contrast with dealer prices.
Within 100 mi of my house in Fl, i've seen pricers for the KLR 650 2011 from 4700 to 6200. Am i missing something or is that typical?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts