Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done a dozen of these but have NEVER found one Broken.Ok I dicided change over my Doo to the new and improved new one. This is on my newly aquired 04 KLR650 get this with 7600 miles on the clock.The weld didn't break the top half broke in into three pieces.So If U think your Low mileage KLR Doo is ok think again.Just a heads up.Glad I didn't wait for NorCal Tech day to do this.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
I have done a dozen of these but have NEVER found one Broken.Ok I dicided change over my Doo to the new and improved new one. This is on my newly aquired 04 KLR650 get this with 7600 miles on the clock.The weld didn't break the top half broke in into three pieces.So If U think your Low mileage KLR Doo is ok think again.Just a heads up.Glad I didn't wait for NorCal Tech day to do this.
Image?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will post a picture soon.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
And the Doohickey's that weren't broken still might not have been working. Many of them have a mark on the adjusting slot where the lever was stck to the bolt.

The '08> have a spring that is too long and poorly made. Many times these springs were broken in the middle or on either end. The breakage is from a not loaded spring and vibration.

The <'07 have a bad everything.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's a picture of my broken Doo Hickey
KLR 650 RIDE 010.JPG

·
Registered
100 Posts
As I stated earlier, I replaced my Doo today at lunch. Too much of a noob to post pics (need 15 post) but I'll summerize my experience.

Started at 11:30am
used the Eagle Mike kit (zero complaints, great on-line instructions)
Took me 2.5 hours and the hardest park is cleaning the gasket surfaces...
Teh OEM looked fine, spring came off rather easily, I can see where the part would be prone to breakeage with vibration*
Could be done much quicker now that I know what it takes (I'll post and share the kit around the Porland area).
The kit included new SS screws for the carb and front brake master cylinder...

The best part? I bought the last Saturday, my first KLR (I've owned bikes for over 30 years), I got to ride it twice today finally; once back to work, and later to a Scout meeting about 15 miles away....What a great town bike!!!!! I've got 4600 miles on the clock and will be ready to do my own valve check in a month or so with the help of you guys!

And oh...I've got tomorrow off and it's finally sunny and 70 derees:64a:

*I'll post pics of my doohickey when allowed...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts