Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have jacked ears. Lots of loud guitar and bikes and now I have PET (unrelated, you don't want to know). I have always thought ear plugs are a good idea. Then I ran out of the grip of cheap ones I bought on eBay. Got lazy. Didn't wear them for a WHILE. Just got a bunch more, and I forgot how much better the ride FEELS with plugs in.

Seriously. Pretty cool.

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
Lifelong plugger here.
You are so right, brudder D.

Lucky for me I had a job that required them when I was fresh outta high school.
The difference was so incredible the plugs never stopped since. Concerts, riding,
mowing, yes, at work too.

Probably destroyed my brain and liver over the years but I hear great.

CheeeeeeeeeeapAndListening.

·
Premium Member
6,677 Posts
I've been using ear plugs for about 31 of my 47 years of my riding experience.
At the end of a long day, my mind is soo much more relaxed with the usage of ear plugs. I'll put them in for even a 10 mile ride! I'll leave them in even while riding dirt at 10-50 mph.

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
Yeah, just the cone shaped sponges.

I cram them in then back 'em out a bit after they expand.
Everything goes quiet as they spread out from being rolled tight like a booger.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I use Hearos, the larger Xtreme blue ones. They have a smaller tan color plug but I haven't had luck keeping those in place. 14 pair for about four bucks.

I also have an extra set of range earmuffs in my shop for when using loud equipment. Seriously, I own the loudest electrical tool that ever existed. It's a Black and Decker Mouse Sander. Small, works good but is outrageously loud. I was just using it to sand a 15 foot aluminum canoe, inside and out for refinishing, and had earmuffs over ear plugs. :serious:

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Reactions: tasman

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
Doesn't feel right riding without them..

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Ear plugs

I've tried several types. I find some are better, at suppressing certain types of noise, than others.
The most expensive are "No-Noise" plugs. They work good on wind noise with.. (My open face helmet with shield. HJC IS-33) However the "singing" from my rear Mitas E-07 is amplified by using them.

The most effective plugs are, orange ones, sold at the gun section of my local sporting goods shop. They come with attached cord. Useful to loop around my neck when not in my ears. (I don't have to find a place to put them if I just want to remove them for a short time.)
When I get off the bike, I just hang the cord over the left handlebar grip. It's right there when I get ready to ride again. They are good on wind noise, cheaper, and suppress that rear tire "singing" better than the No-Noise ones.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Do you guys use custom fit (or other expensive type) earplugs or just the cheapo foam ones?
I sprung for a pair of the custom molded ones a number of years ago, but found them slightly uncomfortable on long rides. Plus they made my ears sweat. I use the 3M EAR Classics now (NRR 29), 'cause that's what we use at work. Been using plugs for decades; its amazing how loud the wind is at 70!

·
Registered
119 Posts
So I bought a few pairs of the cheap foam ones from the hardware store. They certainly make a difference to my riding experience over the handful of rides I've done so far, but I just can't seem to get my right ear to seal properly and be comfortable. It also makes my ear a little sore once I've taken the plug out. The left ear is perfect! Seals up nice and I hardly notice it's there for the entire ride.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I wear a set of these when I ride and one side when I mow the lawn for my plugs. Mostly listen to music or news when riding. Won't ride long distance or hi-speed without ear protection.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Some days, I spend more time wearing ear plugs than without.

Mowing, weed-eating, trimming shrubs, cuttinv firewood, and, oh yeah, riding bikes.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I usually end up taking a small zip-loc bag to work with me and grab about 20 ear plugs from the dispenser in the Control Room. We usually have the soft lime green ones with a NRR of 33. They block out the wind noise, but the music from my in-helmet speakers (Sena SMH-10 first, now the Fusar setup) comes through without any problems.

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
Last week when camping I took mine out and also took my helmet off and rode the bike about 50 yards from the road to my campsite and I thought there was something wrong with my bike because the engine noise was so loud :surprise:

It's amazing what you get used to "Not" hearing...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts