Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

WOW. Reality check

4K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Crazy Jake 
#1 ·
Riding home from work today, It was Raining really hard… I was in all of my gear and living it. I was dry and worm. I was doing around 45-50 mph. All of a sudden the car in front of me Stopped… I still am not sure why. I hit the brakes and had no response. NO slowing down at all…. The next thing I know the bike slid and I high centered and that was it… in a second I was on my back Skidding down the road at 45 mph…. I remember sliding and saying in my head
“You F$%& idiot, What are you doing? Now your in it, I don’t know what we are going to hit but this is going to really hurt, you stupid ass”
I slid about 50 feet and stopped under the cars back bumper. I don’t think I ever hit it. My bike skidded off the road on the right side….
I was unhurt …. It must have not looked good. The people in the cars that stopped where REALLY Freaked out…. Freaked out enough that I checked myself over to more times. If they are that freaked out I must be a mess…… Nope I was fine. The tops of my feet are sore and my elbows are black and blue…. A little road rash on the right side of my bike, my rain gear did surprisingly well but is toast, and my Back pack is toast also……
All in All I was lucky …. But I was being cocky and a stupid ass… I was going far to fast and I was way to close to the car in front of me….. Thanks goodness for my leathers.

See less See more
#2 ·
Glad you're OK, bud. Sometimes wake up calls like that are good. Not "good" good...you know what i mean. Take some advil and be careful, brother.

#3 ·
Glad you were ok.

Thanks for the wake up call.

Sometimes we get a little too comfortable.

Main thing is that you are ok and might have learned something..

#4 ·
Whew! Close call indeed! I've noticed that on the KLR before as well, the pads seem to have a hard time grabbing onto the wet disc. My car with 4 wheel disc is the same way, gotta drag em a bit to dry them out before the corners. Glad to hear you and the horse are ok.

#5 ·
A very similiar event occured in my area this weekend, two riders rear ended a vehicle that had slowed for a vehicle turning on a state highway. Unfortunately one of the riders expired while being transported. We have to be defensive and aware at all times. Glad you faired well out of this one!

#7 ·
Over the years, I have had all kinds of wrecks.. Coming up short on a jump. Miss reading angle of the wet log. Flipping over backwards. YADA YADA YADA.. yet with all of them I kind of expected it…… This one got me. It was all over before I knew it even started. We need to be on the edge and paying attention ALWAYS….. and always have the gear on.

#11 ·
RE: Reality Check

CJ,

Good reminder for all. My last such adventure was having the front end of my 88 FXR-SP washout when I was cut-off by an inattentive driver on a Viaduct (May 88). I remember being thankful that my helmet was on and pissed that my jacket and gloves were bungied to my sissybar. Walked away with nothing more than some roadrash thanks to the ability to jump clear (forward) of the bike and not get sucked under.

Less fortunate (but lucky to be alive) is one of my co-worker's sons. 18-year-old on a Ninja 500 coming home from jet-skiing at the lake lost control in a turn and hit one of those cable and steel post side rails. He slid off the road (through the side rail) and fortunately had his helmet on because he remained conscious and was able to pull himself to the road where a passer-by was able to call lifeflight and stop the bleeding from his femoral artery. The good news is that he's alive and will keep his leg. The bad news is that his calf was essentially stripped from the bone and although reattached, may not have nerve connection or be functional. Tough deal, just out of highschool and headed to the military. Good argument against sandals, shorts and t-shirts on a bike as well.

Regards
Mark

#13 ·
Here is my reality check, happened yesterday riding from Jackson Michigan to Murray, KY. I was heading down the Western Kentucky Parkway at 70mph and a wild turkey shot out low across the road, I ducked and the bird hit the top of my Cee Baileys tall windshield just hard enough to flex the windshield and throw the bike into the worst speed wobble I have ever had to deal with. Thanks to God the bike stayed right side up. By the way, the semi behind me finished off the bird

Sent from my iPod touch using Motorcycle
Timothys687

More miles and smiles for all!

#14 ·
Glad you're OK. Yeah, not much you can do to avoid that. Glad it came out OK.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.