Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a fairing ( headlight shroud ) for a gen 1 that is in good shape and unmolested . I just got another KLR . An '06 , and the fairing has the weedwacker mod and that's not what I want . It's a red '06 so red is my first choice but black would be o.k. .

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have a 2004 (red) and was looking to do the weedwhacker mod, but I haven’t yet.

I’m in process of painting the whole thing a pearl blue, but haven’t done the headlamp shroud yet.

Would you be interested in a trade?

The only caveat is that the shroud is currently painted over with a coat of coyote tan.

When I did the side panels, they were in good shape, but faded. I heard they look new if you use a razor blade to pull the white fade off (easy, see YouTube). I’ve also seen folks lightly use a heat gun to warm the plastic back to color. I haven’t tried the heat gun, but I know scraping plastic peels off the crud and does show OEM color.

Lemme know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
Now that someone (Maier) finally makes new Gen1 plastics from the proper poly, it really is the best way to go. they come in four colors, unfortunately red isn't one of them. I just ordered a full set in black from 3D Cycles KLR 650 Gen 1 (1987-2007)

Dave

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yeah, I was wishing / dreaming of a Hemisphere wheatwhacker front, but it’s so expensive :-( and options for a windscreen? Pfffffsh! None of the nice ones seem to be made anymore.

Of course, a lynx rally fairing is what I really wish for...hah!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I may get all new . Once I have a cowl , or once the bike is to the point of not rideable for a while , I will gift the weed whacked cowl to Pig and the Pendulum.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah , I gotta check out some prices and see just how much I want to do . That Maier stuff is $500. for the full kit. That's a lot to spend on an old killer . The motor in this bike is one of the quietest I've ever heard and runs great. The rear shock is shot . Excellent pro taper bars . Carb is spot on with the jets and KLX needle I never used on my "14 KLR.
Already has one of my custom seats . So suspension and and dressing up and it will be a great 20,000 mile KLR. I'll ride my Rally while I work on it so no rush .

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
Yeah , I gotta check out some prices and see just how much I want to do . That Maier stuff is $500. for the full kit. That's a lot to spend on an old killer . The motor in this bike is one of the quietest I've ever heard and runs great. The rear shock is shot . Excellent pro taper bars . Carb is spot on with the jets and KLX needle I never used on my "14 KLR.
Already has one of my custom seats . So suspension and and dressing up and it will be a great 20,000 mile KLR. I'll ride my Rally while I work on it so no rush .
Understood; everyone's budget is different. I've been waiting decades for someone to start making new plastics so I was very excited; I've spent a ton of time and money on my KLR's making them into the dual purpose bikes I wanted them to be so being able to make them look as good as they run makes me very happy. On the cost, I only spent $307 because I use the Polisport freeflow front fender ($30) and I already run IMS 6.6 tanks. .....I think that's the best deal.

Dave

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm considering that IMS tank . I've spent a bunch on KLRs , too. Since my first KLR in 1990 this is number 11 . Six gen1s and 5 gen2s . Many thousands of miles and only one had the doohickie replaced . Well , 2 counting this one.
I've never messed with the suspension on any of them , so I was wanting to do front and rear on this one ( shock is shot) No Ohlins or even Cogent. My age and easy riding style doesn't deserve top of the line . Maybe Progressive shock and mild fork upgrade. I'll search around in the suspension threads . Just a winter project and I might change my mind a bunch , but it'll be fun.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm considering that IMS tank . I've spent a bunch on KLRs , too. Since my first KLR in 1990 this is number 11 . Six gen1s and 5 gen2s . Many thousands of miles and only one had the doohickie replaced . Well , 2 counting this one.
I've never messed with the suspension on any of them , so I was wanting to do front and rear on this one ( shock is shot) No Ohlins or even Cogent. My age and easy riding style doesn't deserve top of the line . Maybe Progressive shock and mild fork upgrade. I'll search around in the suspension threads . Just a winter project and I might change my mind a bunch , but it'll be fun.
I live a few hours from Cogent. Can’t afford their work right now. They said the Progressive shock couldn’t be rebuilt even though it’s supposed to be able.

Considering getting a Top Gun spring and tools to just rebuild the stock one myself.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
Not to sound like a Cogent salesman but I think you'd find that they offer the best value and they have three different shocks at various pricepoints. The Progressive 465 is OK, not great but OK....it costs between $471.95 (on sale HT's) and $729.95. The Cogent Adventure is $513.95.....with a difference of only $42, I'd certainly chose the Cogent, particularly with all the comments that people can't get their 465's rebuilt.

On the front, it's even easier; there are only really four choices other than the usual progressive spring bandaid;
- Cogent DDC kit - works great, $ 324.95, easy install
- RT Cartridge Emulators and springs - works almost as great, $ 319.98, more difficult install due to having to drill out the damper rods
- Progressive Monotubes - not as good as the other two but better than stock, $ 339.99 some noted warranty complaints/failures
- Ricor Intiminators - OK on the road, less good offroad according to those that have tried them vs. the RT or Cogent valves, $ 320 w. springs. Easy install same as DDC's

Overall, the cheapest solution is the 465 and RT emulators at $ 791.93 vs. the Cogent Adventure and DDC kit at $ 838.90 so a difference of $46.97 plus you get fork oil, spacers and even a roll of lifesavers from Cogent making the real cost almost identical.....for a better shock with full rebuildability and far better customer service.

Dave

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
I live a few hours from Cogent. Can’t afford their work right now. They said the Progressive shock couldn’t be rebuilt even though it’s supposed to be able.

Considering getting a Top Gun spring and tools to just rebuild the stock one myself.

Many 465 owners have posted recently that they cannot get thier shocks rebuilt - I'd consider them throw-aways at this point.
beware of spending too much time and money on the POS stock emulsion shock......it is really as crappy a shock as you can possibly imagine. .The more you do to it, the less sense it makes. On a budget and just need a spring.....sure.

I've given away two stock KLR shocks (one brand new) to KLR owners in need so I don't have any more or I'd offer one up to you. Sometimes you can find stock takeoffs for cheap but don't pay too much for them. Rarely a decent aftermarket shock comes up used - not often but worth keeping an eye out.

Dave

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks, Dave. I’ll have to recheck their site as I must have missed the value shocks. I was quoted around $1.2-1.6 last year, but it was for 2-up with my wife and ammo cans. Plans have changed and for the better kinda—was dreaming she would be 2-up and we travel everywhere...lol. She wants her own w/ a couple Sena comms.

Anyways, yeah I have to get some stock dog bones anyway. Some silver unknown lowering links on there atm. I would rather have it stock, lower the seat, etc. instead. Cogent suggested a shorter shock instead as well. I know lots like lowering links, but I’d rather adapt and feel better about suspension travel than get stuck on something with a heavy KLR lowered, like a curb (true story, stealth beach parking at night).

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
I bought the Cogent Adventure shock and DDC Fork upgrade kit this spring and love it. It's a great improvement for my gen1 KLR.

Before I ordered it, I emailed Cogent with the filled-out worksheet and followed up with a call to confirm it all looked good and to find out about lead-time. With their encouragement, I then placed the order on their website to take advantage of the free shipping offer.

It all arrived at my house 3 weeks later and installed easily. The spacer, pre-load, and damping appeared to all be set up for my situation, and the "race-sag" was perfect out of the box with the bike loaded as described in the worksheet.

Unlike their more expensive shocks, the Adventure shock's damping is adjusted at the factory. The only adjustment I can make is the preload, and the method provided is a little less convenient than stock. That said, because of the stiffer spring, weight changes don't affect sag as much as they used too, so I don't make adjustments for a grocery run or an occasional short two-up ride. When I prepare for a camping trip, it takes a couple of minutes to move it down 20 clicks or so, giving me a little time to drool over the nice-looking shock :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All very good advice. All good comments. I will give the Cogents a lot of consideration .
Tomorrow the Africa Twin gets moved to the other side of the garage and the KLR goes in the work space.
I'll get started on the teardown and price various items and see what my old brain decides I should do .

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Kawasaki has NO headlight fairings so I ordered a black one from Maier and black radiator shrouds from Kawasaki. I'll just go all black and stop worrying about the red turning pink.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts