Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
"Two bees are more useful than 'to be's'", Tom said poetically.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
This month's Sunset magazine's feature story is "The West's Best Places To Live".

Best small town is Bisbee, AZ.

Runner-up is Lander, WY, population 7,642. "Another source of local pride is Lander's surprisingly lively downtown", no doubt lead by those hooligans over at the Kawasaki dealership.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgIMJcBpqKI

Best Small Town: Runners-Up - Best Small Towns to Live In - Sunset

Tom
Shhhhh,
Be careful who you tell about our little piece of heaven, Tom!

Scratch that! Maybe I ought to ask for all of my dual sport/dirt riding/internet acquaintances to move here! Maybe take back our 'Wild West'!

Not too long back, one of our County Commissioners commented about Lander, WY being home to a "nest of environmentalist".
National Outdoor Leadership School, Wyoming Outdoor Council, The Nature Conservancy and several that I've forgotten.

I will warn ya', 5 months of winter. Minimum! This has been an easy one so far. I've not yet seen -20F. in the Lander Valley. There can be +15-20 degrees variance between 'reporting station' and my house. Plus in the summer and minus in the winter!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Shhhhh,
Be careful who you tell about our little piece of heaven, Tom!

Scratch that! Maybe I ought to ask for all of my dual sport/dirt riding/internet acquaintances to move here! Maybe take back our 'Wild West'!
I'd be actually good with moving there. Only problem is I don't have the $$$$ yet!!!
It sucks there! ;) I could easily spend lots of time there.. Hopefully I'll be bringing some work mates to hit the divide trail late June. Conditions permitting.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Well upper country has white stuff on it now. Not much but it's a mess. I guess that's about it for the year. Sadness! Happy hibernating all.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yep, Reno can get down there as well. Some 0 F days last year in the city. With the winds, it can get interesting. Just retired (resigned) after more than 10 years of SAR work here. I used to love running rescues in the winter, white-outs on the summit. Coldest I've been out in was -50 wind chill and 100 mph winds with total white out conditions looking for a lost family (with little ones). All found safe, but cold. Amazing times with great people.

Now I'm looking forward to some motorcycle trips around the US. Want to meet some new people and new adventures.

Any idea if there are groups that do rides and adventures together? I'm pretty slow and not into a young man's dare-devil type rides, but more the type to see the country and enjoying life.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
sarguy,
I have a friend / riding buddy / customer who formed a new group just this year.
They are on facebook, which I am not.
His name is Keith Collins, from Cody, WY. His group is called 'Absaroka Riders'.

What are you doing next August, 2017?
I think you ought to consider hooking up with Cherokee_Chuck and his gang in Silverton, CO. I'm sure some of them low-landers will just ride the pavement and graded gravel.
:grin2:
Read here,http://www.klrforum.com/southeast-riders/54322-colorado-dualsporting-san-juans.html

·
Registered
125 Posts
sarguy,
I have a friend / riding buddy / customer who formed a new group just this year.
They are on facebook, which I am not.
His name is Keith Collins, from Cody, WY. His group is called 'Absaroka Riders'.

What are you doing next August, 2017?
I think you ought to consider hooking up with Cherokee_Chuck and his gang in Silverton, CO. I'm sure some of them low-landers will just ride the pavement and graded gravel.
:grin2:
Read here,http://www.klrforum.com/southeast-riders/54322-colorado-dualsporting-san-juans.html
Thank you Sir. I'll definitely do that. Sorry for just getting back to you. I was traveling for work and just got back in town late last night.

John

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sept.ride plan

A cpl guys and I plan a ride from Green River to Yellowstone and back.
Any suggestions on routes would be greatly appreciated.
We are interested on back roads with awesome scenery. One rider will be on a street bike,
2 are on KLR's.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
A cpl guys and I plan a ride from Green River to Yellowstone and back.
Any suggestions on routes would be greatly appreciated.
We are interested on back roads with awesome scenery. One rider will be on a street bike,
2 are on KLR's.
If the street bike rider doesn't mind riding thru dirt road construction type stuff for 10 miles (that about average construction zone), He might not mind the easy, graded, passenger car capable, "Wild Horse Tour" leg from the west edge of Green River to Farson, WY. Probably about 40 miles of easy graded gravel.
Then to Pinedale, Hoback Junction, Jackson & beyond, on asphalt.

Jackson, WY over Teton Pass to Victor, ID and up to Ashton, ID & take old highway past Mesa Falls is a beautiful route to West Yellowstone.

If you have time, go out the North East gate to Cook City, MT over Beartooth Pass to Red Lodge, MT.
Closest thing to "Alps" type twisty road at 10,000+ ft in USA.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If the street bike rider doesn't mind riding thru dirt road construction type stuff for 10 miles (that about average construction zone), He might not mind the easy, graded, passenger car capable, "Wild Horse Tour" leg from the west edge of Green River to Farson, WY. Probably about 40 miles of easy graded gravel.
Then to Pinedale, Hoback Junction, Jackson & beyond, on asphalt.

Jackson, WY over Teton Pass to Victor, ID and up to Ashton, ID & take old highway past Mesa Falls is a beautiful route to West Yellowstone.

If you have time, go out the North East gate to Cook City, MT over Beartooth Pass to Red Lodge, MT.
Closest thing to "Alps" type twisty road at 10,000+ ft in USA.
That sounds lnteresting and fun. The rider on street bike rides dualsports also so this is perfect.
We'll be out there for 2 weeks and Thanks for your help! Anyone in the area is welcome to ride along with us.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
If you guys go thru Pinedale WY, I'll suggest a 15-20 mile 'Dead-End' Detour from the eastern side of town.

Take an hour, to ride North to Fremont Lake & up its east side on Skyline Drive to the end of the asphalt. Well worth the curvy road & the views for pics.

·
Registered
1 Posts
As a rider i like a WY state

As a rider i like a WY state. i love to ride a bike in WY state with my Ducati Scrambler 1100 Pro/1100 Sport Pro bike

41 - 54 of 54 Posts