Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have the SW-MOTECH Crash Guards on my 2007 KLR which work extremely well. I can speak from multiple personal experiences on this matter.

I also replaced the original Vacuum managed Fuel Petcock with the Yamaha 100% manually operated Fuel Petcock Part Number 5LP245000100

The challenge is that these two items are not 100% compatible. With the MO-TECH Crash Guards installed the Fuel Petcock Lever will hit the Crash Guard.

The solution seems simple enough. Cut/Grind/File (your choice) the Petcock Lever to clear the Crash Guard. Unfortunately having done so, the remaining Petcock Lever is now rather difficult to turn by hand. Due to its now limited size and position next to/behind the Crash Guard.

So, my solution to the solution, as it were, was to drill a hole through the Petcock Lever and install a Key Ring Loop as shown. This works perfectly!

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I buy those key rings in 5-packs. They come in handy for replacing broken zipper pulls on various bags, jackets and other uses.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just stumbled across this ingenious fix, having the same set-up, but without the interference problem. I just couldn't rotate the petcock lever with gloves on, and had been pondering bolting a dogleg extension of sorts on. Thanks bluehighways; simple and cheap solution!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a crash bar question ... I would like to replace the (well used) Happy Trails bars I removed from my bike and replace them with some new heavier duty bars. These SW-Motech bars had caught my eye earlier this year ... any issues with installation or durability?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have a crash bar question ... I would like to replace the (well used) Happy Trails bars I removed from my bike and replace them with some new heavier duty bars. These SW-Motech bars had caught my eye earlier this year ... any issues with installation or durability?
I have the SW- Motech crash bars and skid plate on my 15 and I am very happy with them (very simple install). I put them on after my Nomad rider bars cracked for no reason.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I also have the SW-Motech crash bars and they're great. I had to bend the SW Motech skid plate slightly so that the lower connecting brackets could attach to the frame but otherwise, installation was pretty easy.

I had originally had the Nomad rider crash bars, but one good hit on the left side turned them into a pretzel-like shape - I think the SW Motech bars are heavier, but much stronger.

Good luck!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I looked at them some more today and will be ordering a set later this week. I really want to get the KLR out on the trails soon, and don't want to risk a fall without them.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I just stumbled across this ingenious fix, having the same set-up, but without the interference problem. I just couldn't rotate the petcock lever with gloves on, and had been pondering bolting a dogleg extension of sorts on. Thanks bluehighways; simple and cheap solution!
Hi - It looks like I'm going to be customizing a RAPTOR petcock for my SW Motech crash bars. If anyone has done this fix (cut/file/grind selector switch to fit), could they please post a picture or similar? I'd like to figure out how much of the switch to cut or file off before putting it on the tank (and bike).

I feel like I've lifted that tank about a hundred times this week and it's starting to get kind of heavy...

Many thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts