airbox mods
Acerbis Fender
Superbrace
ZG Windshield
Better pegs
Hand grips
Luggage
Gaffer Brake pads
Cosmetic changes (took off decals, added reflective tape, etc)
Wally ATV seat cover
Iridium Spark Plug
Sealed battery
Crash Bars
(I think that's it)

Anyway, I was thinking, doohickey aside, if I could keep only one of these changes I might have to go with the fender...cheap, made as much difference as the fork brace I think. So, my question is: If you had to take your bike back to stock plus one mod/farkle (doohickey excluded), what would you keep?

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
I'd keep the 22 cent mod and have a lot more cash left in my pocket!

Awhile back I listed all my mods....it was ridiculous.

·
Registered
77 Posts
+1 one the seat. Russel daylong is the perfect seat however I have the flat barn board corbin that is still much better than stock.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
July 2006 I was barely able to make it to Corbin (160 miles) to have a seat built. I was on my way to San Diego (700 miles) and I had to return (700 miles). If you can't ride the KLR then the other farkles are not needed for the garage queen.

The Doohickey and seat seem to be a given. Next choice?

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Well, one of my favorites is something you'll have a hard time seeing, and it's something that I don't use very often, but when it's needed, it's wonderful!!!

Eastern Beaver Headlight Relay kit. If I have to ride at night, I want LIGHT, not the yellow glow coming from substandard headlight wiring. Power for the headlight comes through big wires, straight off the battery, not through small wires and through the switch.

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Products/H4_Kits/h4_kits.html

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Well, one of my favorites is something you'll have a hard time seeing, and it's something that I don't use very often, but when it's needed, it's wonderful!!!

Eastern Beaver Headlight Relay kit. If I have to ride at night, I want LIGHT, not the yellow glow coming from substandard headlight wiring. Power for the headlight comes through big wires, straight off the battery, not through small wires and through the switch.

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Products/H4_Kits/h4_kits.html
James is a very good vendor and a DL1000 owner. Have you seen his fuse block?

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
James is a very good vendor and a DL1000 owner. Have you seen his fuse block?
I haven't seen any of his other parts, but from what I gather from everyone, anything he manufactures is proven and excellent.
I had been searching for a relay kit to install some driving lights and stumbled across his H4 kits.. After a bit more investigation, I decided to go that route instead of extra lights and the kit worked perfectly..

If I remember correctly, I now have over 3 more volts going to my headlight than before, seriously increasing headlight output, even with a standard 55/60w H4 bulb.:)

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
The 16 tooth front sprocket hands-down my favorite!

Ye Hah,
Cheeeeeeeeeeeap

Like you guys (n' gals), many other small changes abound, but the revised rpm band of the 16t is "da bomb".
Shimmed and polished needle (one washer)
150 main (like I said, one washer)
Foam grips
Relocated rear signals
Holey airbox
High flow stock modified muffler (doesn't muffle as much now.)
Hommade highway bars n' pegs
Removed all decals x-cept the Kaw sticker
Removable bags n' "trunk" (bolt-on toolbox)

To Do List:
ATV seat cover
Doo
Taller bars
Taller 'glass
Drive it to Timbukthree n' back!!!!

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
A throttle rocker.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is very interesting.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Bill Maer custom seat.
Whats the point of adding other farkles to the bike if you can't sit on it for more than half hour.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
I repeat...

...The Doohickey and seat seem to be a given. Next choice?

How good is the Bill Mayer seat? In the past I have heard good things.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
How good is the Bill Mayer seat? In the past I have heard good things.
Bill Mayer, and his brother (can't remember the name of company) are offshoots of the Russell design, and quality of all three companies is first rate.

The reason I have the Russell is because I had one on my BMW R1100R and this seat was offered for sale here on KLRforum..

As I've said in the past, they're not pretty, but you can't see them if you never have a reason to get your butt off the seat. :)

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
The "doo" is quite the often-used word on this and other sites, and I know it's the chain tensioner spring and rider assembly.
Question: Is it the balancer chain or cam chain?

CheapAndDumb.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
The "doo" is quite the often-used word on this and other sites, and I know it's the chain tensioner spring and rider assembly.
Question: Is it the balancer chain or cam chain?

CheapAndDumb.
It's the balancer chain.
The cam chain tensioner is on the side of the motor. It's the one you take the spring out of when you adjust the valves.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts