Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how many bikers use radar detectors. I use one in my car, which i'll admit is illegal in NY. I would think its more difficult to use on a bike considering that if you do get pulled over you cant stash it under a seat like in a car. Even though its illegal here i've been pulled over and the cop just laughed and said "wow, i can tell that thing must really be workin". A few other times my cop buddies(im training for NYPD) saw it while standing next to my car and just turned a head(then again they also turn a head to my 6 month past due inspection).

Are radars illegal in any other states?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Some states they are illegal, but it's usually something they look the other way on... unless you get pulled over, then they can add the extra infractions to your citiation. The one thing you absolutely don't want is any kind of jammer or emitter that tries to confuse their equipment.

If you got pulled over and you were using a Radar Detector, you probably weren't using a Valentine 1 system.

There are waterproof boxes you can put them into for your motorcycle. However, I've not found any need to get one for the KLR. It's just not the kind of speed that can get me into trouble. If I'm speeding and I know it, that means I'm probably pretty high on the RPMs and I'd rather not beat my bike up like that. Just doesn't like the high speed stuff.

(BTW... don't bother with Laser Detection. If you get nailed with Laser, you're done. You were specifically targeted, and caught at the speed of light. Some beeping won't help you after the fact)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ye i usually panick when hit with laser, my cousin told me the same about it. I've also been hit with Spectre which can actually detect radar detectors, but i dont wory to much about that, my detector can block those. I wasnt using a Valentine, i wasnt even speeding, i ran a red just as it turned and the cop decided to bust my coghones. Luckily i had my PBA card on me and the cop knew the person so i got off easy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Let someone pass you and be your radar detector. The police in MA and NH usually use instant-on, so unless there's traffic ahead the detector wouldn't help you anyway. And if you have a detector you will always get a ticket. Last time I got stopped for doing 81 in a 55 I got a warning for 65 in a 55 - with a detector, I would have been hit for a $300 ticket and some insurance surcharges.

I owned radar detectors starting with some of the earliest models in the late 70's. First, a Super Snooper, followed by a FuzzBuster II and an early Passport model.Stopped using them in the late 80's because police countermeasures, false signals, use of lidar, and theft made them largely ineffective.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
True, the downsides outweigh the ups. I honestly dont think i'll be putting one on my bike, i simply dont drive fast enough to see it as necessary.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I used to use one, also, but it became a big PITA, so I left it at home and never looked back.

A buddy of mine got pulled over on his bike for doing 10 over and was informed that if he didn't have the radar detector on it, he would have only gotten a warning, but with the detector, he ended up with a ticket. :character0029:

I just try to keep it less than 20 over, and closer to 10-15 over, and haven't had an issue since 1989 (knock on wood), even though I drive and ride more than 40K miles a year.

Several years ago, I had a FZR600 and a BMW R65. With the FZR, I'd have a cop behind me within 10 miles of leaving home, even though I was riding the speed limit, while on my BMW twin, with bags, I was just another old fart on a BMW, even though I was riding 20-25 over.. Nobody paid attention to it because it didn't LOOK fast.. :character00286:

Don't get stupid, keep your eyes open, and don't LOOK fast, and you'll pass through most times without them looking at you..

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well then does a KLR "look" fast. I dont think i'll look like an old fart but i dont think it looks fast either. Also i really dont ever hit 10 over, most i do is 5 over and even then its rare, i simply make a habbit of getting very relaxed while driving, and i can just cruise along very comfortably at the speed limit. Plus i always leave myslef time wherever i go, usually leave myself a 10 minute cushion of time just incase something happens.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Well then does a KLR "look" fast. I dont think i'll look like an old fart but i dont think it looks fast either. Also i really dont ever hit 10 over, most i do is 5 over and even then its rare, i simply make a habbit of getting very relaxed while driving, and i can just cruise along very comfortably at the speed limit. Plus i always leave myslef time wherever i go, usually leave myself a 10 minute cushion of time just incase something happens.

Is that 10 over by the speedo? If so, you're actually doing about 3-4 over..:ashamed0001:

10 over?? I wouldn't waste my time with a RD.

Actually, with a KLR, the issue is sometimes you'll get an idiot who thinks that it's a dirt bike and isn't legal on the street. I've never been pulled over on this one, but I know others who have.

In a perfect world, all police officers would be motorcyclists and understand all laws and motorcycles, and why a bike travelling 15 over is safer than a car travelling 5 under.. A bike can out manuever, accelerate and brake pretty much any typical car on the road.:character0005:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Greetings!

Should one use a radar/laser detector or not? That is a question that can easily be answered. Having 24 years experience in law enforcement and having worked in the traffic unit, I'm here to tell you that you are better off saving your money and use it for other goodies for your KLR. When I was on the move with radar, I usually had my radar off until I could visually estimate the speed of the vehicle. Once I took the radar off stand by, it was too late for the violator to slow down. All radar does is confirm the officers visual estimation of their speed. In Idaho we are certified to estimate the speed of vehicles within five miles an hour. This is done ten times from a stationary position in different speed zones and ten times while moving in different speed zones. As has been mentioned in this thread, laser will reach out 3,000 feet with a beam no greater than three feet wide. At 2,000 feet, the beam is two feet wide and 1,000 feet, one foot wide. All a laser detector will do is let you know you've been had. I too was more likely to issue citations to those using radar/laser detectors than those without. Generally, if you travel 5 MPH over the speed you should be okay. Once you hit 10 MPH, you risk the chance of getting pulled over.

Safe riding!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Radar/Laser Detectors

Should one use a radar/laser detector or not? That is a question that can easily be answered. Having 24 years experience in law enforcement and having worked in the traffic unit, I'm here to tell you that you are better off saving your money and use it for other goodies for your KLR. When I was on the move with radar, I usually had my radar off until I could visually estimate the speed of the vehicle. Once I took the radar off stand by, it was too late for the violator to slow down. All radar does is confirm the officers visual estimation of their speed. In Idaho we are certified to estimate the speed of vehicles within five miles an hour. This is done ten times from a stationary position in different speed zones and ten times while moving in different speed zones. As has been mentioned in this thread, laser will reach out 3,000 feet with a beam no greater than three feet wide. At 2,000 feet, the beam is two feet wide and 1,000 feet, one foot wide. All a laser detector will do is let you know you've been had. I too was more likely to issue citations to those using radar/laser detectors than those without. Generally, if you travel 5 MPH over the speed you should be okay. Once you hit 10 MPH, you risk the chance of getting pulled over.

Safe riding!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Idaho, thats pretty interesting coming from a LEO, i'll be honest, i use it in my car. Not because i speed, infact i stay at the speed limit(not even 5 over), im just always paranoid. I cant wait until i get into the academy to learn how to judge the speed of cars, i could never understand how cops do that, but you guys are very good at it. On the bike i have decided not to use it, its just not something you can easily concele once you get pulled over. Thanks for all the very in depth info.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is it true that the speedo on the KLR is actually 5mph faster than you are actually traveling? If so that would explain all the people fallowing me, cant remember where i read that.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Is it true that the speedo on the KLR is actually 5mph faster than you are actually traveling? If so that would explain all the people fallowing me, cant remember where i read that.
5-7 mph, depending on how fast you're going. It gets a bit worse when you're up around or faster than interstate speeds.
I have a GPS mounted on my KLR and the speedo reads 5-7 faster than you're actually travelling. The Odometer is usually within 1-2 miles of real mileage per 100 miles travelled, though.

Don't feel bad. My V Strom is off almost 8mph pretty much all the time. I don't even look at the speedo on the V Strom, and just use the GPS all the time.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
O wow, so i guess i'll be doin 35 in 30's from now on, lol.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Before you do that, borrow somebody's GPS and verify the GPS speeds vs. your speedo speeds.
Just in case you got the oddball speedo that is actually accurate. (I know, little chance of it, but a speeding ticket fine could buy a lot of cool stuff).

·
Registered
69 Posts
Your true speed . . . ?

If you have a friend in law enforcement, perhaps they can laser/radar you at 35/65 MPH and see what your actual reading is. It will give a general idea for the low and high end of your speedometer.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ye actually thats a good idea, i know quite a few cops around here. Next time im out i'll have one radar me and see where its at. I dont think i got an oddball because people are constantly tailgating.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just checked mine with GPS - 65mph indicated is actually 59, 75 indicated is 68. I was wondering why everything in sight was passing me on the highway. 18 wheelers. Minivans. Toyota Echos. Mopeds. Harleys. Now I know.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts