Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 73 Honda:

CB450.

I have neglected her for many moons. I did not put the battery on a tender. Just took it out and it was damn near dry. I have filled this particular battery with distilled h20 so many times it is ridiculous. I am thinking maybe a new battery is in order. Now, my Q. Is there any reason a sealed battery would be a bad idea? Don't they create more power? Could that fry my old girl? Keep in mind that I put 'electricity' in the same section of my mind as voodoo and women. I don't know how the hell they operate, but I know enough to fear them.

So, 'people smarter than I', what say thou's?

·
Administrator
8,364 Posts
LJ -

A sealed battery would be no problem if you can find one that fits. Don't worry, they don't make more power and won't let the magic smoke out of the old girl's wires.

You still need to put it on a tender, though.

T

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I think instead of using the tender I'm going to make more of an effort to actually ride the Honda though. I'm such a slacker. :character00271:

·
Administrator
8,364 Posts
Just looking at that thing makes my knees weak.

Keep it always or I'll kick yer butt.

T

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
That is a damned nice old Honda, Lockjaw. Must be satisfying to have some "vintage iron" in the old stable.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks man. It is a treasure. Wanted that bike since I was a teenager. (After I gave up my bonneville fantasy). Pretty much stock with low miles and starts on the first kick. :)

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Thats a sharp bike! I wanted something like that for a fun, unique, cruise around town bike. Ended up with my Hawk, which serves the same purpose for me.
Looks like you were cruising it out on the hiway with a much bigger and faster bike. How does it do on the hiway?
The only thing that's kept me from going and test riding one is that I think I'd look like a gorilla on one. LOL
Any other pics of it?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Love that bike man.. very cool.

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
I've seen this bike in person, and it's sweet!

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys. That pic was on a long trip down the coast with my MC obsessed bud Max. Lot's of twisties. That was pre-KLR. It's not a great bike for the highway - It will do it, but the wind buffeting is insane. And yeah, I kind of feel like a gorilla on it. But it is super fun for around town or short rides. Kids love it (I think because it looks like the 'motorcycle' in picture books) and always wave at me. And more often than not an old Japanese man points at it and yells "Japan! Japan!". I give them all a wave and cruise on.

Bought the bike from an a-hole who bought it from the original owner's father. She bought it in 73, died a year later, and it spend 30 years covered in a tarp in his garage. It took some work to get it running, but...yeah...I like it a lot. :)

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
LOL, I bought my KLR from an a-hole as well.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Kind of nice, makes you feel like you're rescuing it, huh? :)

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I have a 73 Honda:

CB450.

I have neglected her for many moons. I did not put the battery on a tender. Just took it out and it was damn near dry. I have filled this particular battery with distilled h20 so many times it is ridiculous. I am thinking maybe a new battery is in order. Now, my Q. Is there any reason a sealed battery would be a bad idea? Don't they create more power? Could that fry my old girl? Keep in mind that I put 'electricity' in the same section of my mind as voodoo and women. I don't know how the hell they operate, but I know enough to fear them.

So, 'people smarter than I', what say thou's?
I don't know why but this pic makes me think of this. I think there is some resembleance

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks!

Darin, LOL, this week I have been compared to elwood blues and andy kaufman on here. The forum gods are trying to tell me something. I have no idea what the hell it is, though.

For the heck of it, here's a little more:

The odd couple. :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts