Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2016 KLR650 Camo
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My best friend just bought a Gen 3 and has finished break in. His bike has stalled a few times. From the threads I read, could be fuel pump related? I don’t have details surrounding his issue (lives 5 hours away). We are about to embark on our first long trip together and are a little wary…..

How many miles have you Gen 3 owners racked up without any fuel issues?

Thanks

·
Registered
2022 KLR
11 Posts
I'm just hit 2,000, 5 months in. Haven't had issue with fuel system yet. I ran regular (87). Not mechanic and new to 2 wheels. But does he go to same gas station all the time. I've heard some stories in my area of ppls cars running like crap after stopping at certain stations. Water getting in station bulk tanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I humbly advise, from my own experience in my ZX6r, never drive too long with low fuel level, the pumps, apart from being cooled by the fuel that circulates inside them, also do so when they are submerged, which with low level It does not happen.

·
Registered
Clipped beak, raised windscreen, bars, guards, 2500 lumen lights, low pegs, slip-on, deletes + more
34 Posts
My best friend just bought a Gen 3 and has finished break in. His bike has stalled a few times. From the threads I read, could be fuel pump related? I don’t have details surrounding his issue (lives 5 hours away). We are about to embark on our first long trip together and are a little wary…..

How many miles have you Gen 3 owners racked up without any fuel issues?

Thanks
Gen 3 - 6500 miles in 4.5 months. Zero fuel pump-related issues.

·
Registered
2022 KLR650
1,007 Posts
There has been a few reported fuel pump issues on this forum alone.
Actually more than I expected, and am wondering if this will eventually turn into a recall notice.
One of the members reported having similar stalling issues as your friend….before his pump went out.

·
Registered
2022 KLR650
1,007 Posts
2950 miles, fuel pump died.
Did you have it fixed under warranty?
I’m hoping someone will dig into it themselves, and find a comparable pump & part #.

At the moment, I’m thinking the 2007-14 versys 650 pump might be a viable alternative.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Anything specific we should all know as yours failed? Just wouldn't start? Ran funny etc?
My experience from the other thread.

Mine gave me some warning signs. It started with stalling out of nowhere. This happened twice, once coasting to a stop light, and another time just riding at 40mph. Cycling the key off and on would start it back up. Then I had two instances of crank-no start. Again, cycling the key and it fired up. Last day, the audible priming of the pump when the key was turned on pretty much dissappeared. I went to the store to grab some groceries and came back out to a no start, no matter how many times I cycled the key. After a few minutes it finally started and I was able to ride home. Once at home, it wouldn't start again. It was towed to the dealer the following day where it promptly started right up for them. But when they shut it off and tried a restart, they got a no-start.

If you are having unexplained hard starts or stalling, your pump might be on the way out. My bike is completely stock except for risers and footpegs.

·
Registered
2022 KLR650
1,007 Posts

·
Registered
2022 KLR650
1,007 Posts
1500 OK so Far.

So if I get this right when a pump fails it gets replaced with the same pump? Seems like another failure waiting to happen especially if it comes from a showroom bike. I guess we don't know if it's because of running with low fuel or if there was a bad run of pumps?
It sounds like there was a bad batch of pumps made. Can’t confirm this, but I would be very hesitant running another OEM replacement if it happened to me.

Reactions: Norton 850
1 - 20 of 73 Posts