Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2022 KLR650
963 Posts
Worries me to go on any lengthy day trips. Past week I have had a couple longer than normal starts. Now I'm nervous
I think it’s safe to say that the majority of gen 3 owners aren’t having fuel pump-related issues with their bikes.
We will know more as time goes by.

Reactions: Reveille and OCL

·
Premium Member
11,475 Posts
If one worries about the possibility of failure of oneself or our mechanical equipment one will never have any fun!

Ride them, Guys. Maintain them to the best of our abilities. Repair them if needed.
Life is too short, enjoy it as long as one can.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm just hit 2,000, 5 months in. Haven't had issue with fuel system yet. I ran regular (87). Not mechanic and new to 2 wheels. But does he go to same gas station all the time. I've heard some stories in my area of ppls cars running like crap after stopping at certain stations. Water getting in station bulk tanks.
After a buddy of mine who was in the gasoline Business told me about the differences between no name gas stations and tier one gas station standards I'll never use gas from a no name unless I know the owner personally and trust him.
One thing that stuck with me was about how tier one stations are required to have the water that accumulates from condensation or seepage pumped out and have scheduled monitoring where as no name places don't.
That alone had me sold. Won't even get into the other stuff.

·
Registered
2016 KLR650 Camo
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
@KLR-Mule that thread you quoted and our quickly approaching weekend of riding is the impetus behind this thread. He’s wondering if he should get a fuel pump, if he can, just to take with us. You know, if you have it you won’t need it, but if you don’t you will. Maybe we won’t need it👍🏼

·
Registered
2016 KLR650 Camo
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
After a buddy of mine who was in the gasoline Business told me about the differences between no name gas stations and tier one gas station standards I'll never use gas from a no name unless I know the owner personally and trust him.
One thing that stuck with me was about how tier one stations are required to have the water that accumulates from condensation or seepage pumped out and have scheduled monitoring where as no name places don't.
That alone had me sold. Won't even get into the other stuff.
Not sure where he gets ALL his gas (he has fuel delivered to his farm, I think) but his two BMW’s and his son’s KLR 650 have had no issues and have used the same gas.

·
Registered
10 Posts
@KLR-Mule that thread you quoted and our quickly approaching weekend of riding is the impetus behind this thread. He’s wondering if he should get a fuel pump, if he can, just to take with us. You know, if you have it you won’t need it, but if you don’t you will. Maybe we won’t need it👍🏼
Theres a national shortage. My bike was out of commission for 30 days, part on backorder. When I called the service department and let them know I was considering lemmon law, they pulled a pump from showroom bike. But if your friend can get ahold of one, it wouldn't be a bad idea. Except I don't think they're cheap.

·
Registered
2022 Pearl Lava Orange KLR650
40 Posts
2000 miles so far, no issues. Got it in July and commute 40 miles/day weather permitting (I don't do rain on purpose). I run 93 octane Shell mostly for the additional cleansing additives in premium.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Bought mine on in July. I have exactly 3000 miles on it. Thankfully zero issues. It’s my daily driver and is parked out in the South Carolina sun every day. I run 87 in it and get around 47mpg. And try running mostly 50-65

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bought mine in March and has ~700mi. Wouldn't start a couple times when the air temp was over 90 and it sat in the sun. Dealer diagnosed it as a fuel pump issue. It's been sitting at the dealer waiting for the part for almost two months. Supposedly it will come in this week.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Bought mine in March and has ~700mi. Wouldn't start a couple times when the air temp was over 90 and it sat in the sun. Dealer diagnosed it as a fuel pump issue. It's been sitting at the dealer waiting for the part for almost two months. Supposedly it will come in this week.
No way I’d wait two months, my riding season is to short as is

·
Registered
10 Posts
Look into your state's lemmon laws. In my state, motorcycles are included and the the mere mention of pursuing that route after my bike was in the shop for 30 days, they had my bike ready to go the very next day.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts