Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
81 - 100 of 102 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
After a buddy of mine who was in the gasoline Business told me about the differences between no name gas stations and tier one gas station standards I'll never use gas from a no name unless I know the owner personally and trust him.
One thing that stuck with me was about how tier one stations are required to have the water that accumulates from condensation or seepage pumped out and have scheduled monitoring where as no name places don't.
That alone had me sold. Won't even get into the other stuff.
I worked at a Chevron station, across The street from a mom and pop store/station, for 3 years. We had no such maintenance. But the tanker would leave our station and go across and fill their tanks. I wonder if it is a corporate owned or private owned tier one that makes the difference. Ours was privately owned.

· Registered
2022 KLR650
1,221 Posts
2500 mi. Fuel pump gone.
Whats the last 5 of your vin?

3Dcycleparts offers a good pump at an economical price…if your klr is out of warranty.

· Premium Member
12,055 Posts
Ok, has anyone actually looked at why the fuel pump is failing or what caused it? Kawasaki wouldn't put in a faulty pump on every bike.
Have you ever tried to take one of those fuel pump motors apart, in a manner that Might Allow one to see what actually failed? Good Luck!

No, they wouldn't. But if 1 - 10% fail we KLR riders hear about them failing from 1 - 15 sources, from the same owner!

· Registered
2022 Kawasaki KLR650
178 Posts
Have you ever tried to take one of those fuel pump motors apart, in a manner that Might Allow one to see what actually failed? Good Luck!

No, they wouldn't. But if 1 - 10% fail we KLR riders hear about them failing from 1 - 15 sources, from the same owner!
It is fiddly but can be done. Everything can be pulled apart with enough time and patience. Know it is easier to replace the part. However if you have to wait 2 months for a part would you not give it a shot opening it up?

Those sources are called Porkies. Just making a bigger hype out of nothing or something that was nothing in the first place. It is frustrating as when there is a major problem can't tell if it is or not real.

· Registered
2022 KLR650
7 Posts
I got mine in February, have about 7k on it, mostly long rides this summer to Key West and the Black Hills. I noticed some throttle response issues a few times on some of my rides and didn't think anything of it until I read about the potential fuel pump problems. The dealer I bought it from didn't even inspect it. Kawasaki, apparently, is just replacing them if there's ever a complaint. If you're still under warranty, I'd just get it done for peace of mind.

· Registered
2008 KLR650/685 tricked out / 2008 XR650L / 1988 XLV750R
171 Posts
I did it again. Don't have the 2023 KLR yet, but reading how happy y'all are with your fuel pumps I thought that for pure self preservation there should be a spare pump
in my luggage on my 40000km trip.

It's a Quantum HFP-397-U purchased online for about $50 from the Brazilian River shop.
Comes with O_Rings and a bunch of different filters.
Fluid Gas Bottle Plastic Auto part

· Registered
2022 KLR650
1,221 Posts
I did it again. Don't have the 2023 KLR yet, but reading how happy y'all are with your fuel pumps I thought that for pure self preservation there should be a spare pump
in my luggage on my 40000km trip.

It's a Quantum HFP-397-U purchased online for about $50 from the Brazilian River shop.
Comes with O_Rings and a bunch of different filters. View attachment 38358
Thats the same pump that I had listed as a potential candidate for these gen 3’s.
How were you able to double-check the fitment & other do-dads??

· Registered
2008 KLR650/685 tricked out / 2008 XR650L / 1988 XLV750R
171 Posts
Thats the same pump that I had listed as a potential candidate for these gen 3’s.
How were you able to double-check the fitment & other do-dads??
I wasn't.
I looked at design and form factor the one from Alibaba that was suggested to work on the Versys.
Then I figured Kawa wouldn't use 25 different pumps in their product line. A few videos on the tube later and I was convinced that this is the one.

· Registered
2022 KLR650
1,221 Posts
I wasn't.
I looked at design and form factor the one from Alibaba that was suggested to work on the Versys.
Then I figured Kawa wouldn't use 25 different pumps in their product line. A few videos on the tube later and I was convinced that this is the one.
It does appear to look the same as the 3Dcycleparts fuel pump…minus the color of course.
Me thinks it’ll work just fine (y)

Reactions: Belldriver
81 - 100 of 102 Posts