Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"My best friends cousin was killed on a motorcycle". We always seem to get some story, from non-riders, about how somebody they've been told about got killed on a motorcycle. I call it the "I knew a guy" story. Once when we were at a gas station, sitting on a porch, a guy had to tell us the "I knew a guy....." story. After we left, I thought that I should have told him about my doctors uncle who died when a porch roof fell on him and crushed him. Another time it was a park ranger, I could have told him I knew a park ranger that got killed by a bear. I'm going to have to be quicker with my "I knew a guy once" comebacks!

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
The Germans have a phrase for this.

I experience it on a regular basis.

“Treppenwitz”

Literal translation: Staircase joke

Meaning: A witty comment that only occurs to you once the moment has completely passed.

The idea behind this one is that you only think of a good comeback or joke when you’re in the staircase on the way out the building, and not in the moment it would have been best to say it.

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
I always say "Well, I've never been killed. Not even once." I then turn on my heel and walk away, lest I give any more time to a stupid person.

Reactions: pdwestman

·
Registered
190 Posts
NO-ABLA-EN-GLAZZE (bye bye )
( I normally get the, don't you where a helmet thing) I do on long trips, but tend not to on short trips, or around smaller towns. As im not driving In large towns.

I do find that some people, just look for an argument, and or to push their thoughts/ways on others.
I frequent, a place hear in south TX, where I sit in the corner and listen to some of the older, non happy people, just argue about things they know nothing about. They will ask me to join them on a slow day, and or give me crap for wanting to sit alone. I just say, I can hear all the stupidity from hear.

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
I'm walking down that staircase, but my responses tend to be mean-spirited to the point of not being viable options:

"Yeah, there are lots of people who just never get the hang of riding a motorcycle."

"Drinking and riding is never a good idea."

"No kidding? Me, too. We both know it can be tough. I'm part of a support group that I think would really do you some good. We'd love it if you could join us at our next meeting. Can we count on you being there?"

·
Registered
190 Posts
Im good on the support group, but thanks. Im not ready to be perfect yet. One needs to know ones limits.
As for helping with mean spirited part. I can help you.
Wile getting over my second divorce. ( its sad when one needs to number them) And no it wasn't alcohol.
I read books and helped myself. You can get the book and or download the book and or audio, for free. Its called ( the power of now) written, by the dali lama. I wont lie, its boring, but very helpful if put into practice controlling ones emotions.
Also, anger is fear, fear is anger. If some one is mad, they are probably, scared of something. or vice versa.

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
Im good on the support group, but thanks. Im not ready to be perfect yet. One needs to know ones limits.
As for helping with mean spirited part. I can help you.
Wile getting over my second divorce. ( its sad when one needs to number them) And no it wasn't alcohol.
I read books and helped myself. You can get the book and or download the book and or audio, for free. Its called ( the power of now) written, by the dali lama. I wont lie, its boring, but very helpful if put into practice controlling ones emotions.
Also, anger is fear, fear is anger. If some one is mad, they are probably, scared of something. or vice versa.
The Lama (big hitter, the Lama) already told me that I would receive total consciousness on my death bed. So I've got that going for me..........

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
From what I, hear it’s all about keeping up the physical therapy.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
NO-ABLA-EN-GLAZZE .........
I did that earlier this year but I said "English No" and displayed a puzzled look on my face. It worked. They walked away. It was some teen aged kid and he asked how much the bike costs.

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
The question is: Why do people even say this in the first place? I've heard it many times over the years.

If they are a complete stranger, you can bet they really don't care if you die on a motorcycle or not. There must be some ulterior motive for saying it. I haven't figured out yet what that motive is.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The question is: Why do people even say this in the first place? I've heard it many times over the years.

If they are a complete stranger, you can bet they really don't care if you die on a motorcycle or not. There must be some ulterior motive for saying it. I haven't figured out yet what that motive is.
Good question.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Ive lived in 3 states that all had no helmet law, so not being forced to, I didn't, as no one else did. ( im not saying its right, just is what it is) Getting the KLR, I enjoy wearing the full face flip up helmet. On the Harley, I didn't, unless on a long trip.
I have only gotten, as stated, the, YOU DONT WEAR A HELMET THING, and answer, its a personal choice.
Now being retired and traveling. I don't need to ride and or go to places that I need a helmet and full body armer. If I did, I would take my truck, and roll the windows down.
I need to go on a 1,200, each way, to and from, trip to see family for x-mass, and would love to take the KLR, but places going through NM, and riding along the Mexican border for lots of miles, ill take the truck. ( Rockport TX to Surprise AZ) Hear in rockport, people aren't that bad of being aggressive. BUT, In AZ, its a freakshow. ( I don't know if im getting soft or kinda smarter)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Why would you not wear a helmet? Have you ever fell riding? Would you take off your seatbelt in your truck if a state had a no seatbelt law?

Just trying to get may 15 posts!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts