Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, I won't. Do you eat high fat foods, walk in traffic, drive a car, drink alcohol, stress about things, constantly look at the glass as half empty, have family and friends, fly in planes, have a history of any terminal disease in your family, drink a lot of coffee, smoke, spend time with people who smoke, work around chemicals, live near powerlines - careful, that shit'll kill you. Life is about mitigating the risk of activities you enjoy. I wear all the gear all the time, ride with constant awareness, and understand the risks. Thanks for the positive thinking though. ;)

Little dialogue I just had on FB. Nimrods. Why do we let them procreate. Tom Schmitz is the smartest person I know and he rides. That's good enough for me. ;)

·
Registered
303 Posts
My response is simple: "I just hope to be able to ride long enough that it kills me."

And walk away. They'll figure it out, and if they don't, they'll just think I'm suicidal and leave me alone. Either way, I'm finished with the discussion.

·
Administrator
8,359 Posts
You may need to get out and meet more people, LJ. :)

Took the Beemer in for it's 6000 mile service, with 8700 on the clock. They thought that was kinda stupid. I said I'd been busy...

First time in my life I've ever taken a vehicle in to a dealer for any kind of service. It was weird.

T

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tom. You could not have shocked me more if you told me that you were really a woman. For shame. FOR SHAME!!! :50: :)

You may need to get out and meet more people, LJ. :)

Took the Beemer in for it's 6000 mile service, with 8700 on the clock. They thought that was kinda stupid. I said I'd been busy...

First time in my life I've ever taken a vehicle in to a dealer for any kind of service. It was weird.

T

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like that. My old response was "**** off". I'm trying to be more diplomatic. ;)

My response is simple: "I just hope to be able to ride long enough that it kills me."

And walk away. They'll figure it out, and if they don't, they'll just think I'm suicidal and leave me alone. Either way, I'm finished with the discussion.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A HUMBLE ROCKET SCIENTIST. What will they think of next. LOL.

·
Administrator
8,359 Posts
In my defense, I did the 600 mile service and actually did the 6000 mile service (at 6000 miles!) myself. Now I can hear a loose valve adjustment on the upper right hand exhaust. Seemed prudent, from a warranty perspective, to get one major service done at the dealer and let them deal with the valve adjustments this go-round, so I took it in and asked for a 'formal' 6000 mile service.

T

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So you ARE a woman, I'm confused. ;) Prudent? This from a man who rides 18 hours straight and then calmly sits and sips coffee and smokes a cigarette while everyone else tries to extract their genitalia from their asses...wait a second...this is all making sense now. :animal0019:

In my defense, I did the 600 mile service and actually did the 6000 mile service (at 6000 miles!) myself. Now I can hear a loose valve adjustment on the upper right hand exhaust. Seemed prudent, from a warranty perspective, to get one major service done at the dealer and let them deal with the valve adjustments this go-round, so I took it in and asked for a 'formal' 6000 mile service.

T

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm shocked that Tom is a woman. Such an odd name for a chick. I don't like "judgement" assessments from mechanics. I'd be real inclined to talk about the heart attack I just recovered from and how my jack-ass brother-in-law rode my bike coast-to-coast and make the guy feel bad. That's just me. Why does a better motorcycle take more maintenance?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Sorry about that, lockjaws comments sidetracked my original thoughts.

My parents argued forever about my first motorcycle, my dad was deadset against it because he thought I'd die riding. Dad died at 60 from a stroke (high cholesteral) and I turn 50 in September so I only have 10 years to go to make it irrelevant. As it turns out, I can still kick out 50 push-ups in a minute and the same number of sit-ups. I can't run very fast anymore, but I can ride 18 mph on a bicycle for hours at a time. The motorcycle may be the end of me, but it hasn't been yet. (I'm hoping to die at the hands of twin blonde female Swedish sex maniacs).

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
(I'm hoping to die at the hands of twin blonde female Swedish sex maniacs).
If you think of it, get two.. I'll pay you for the second death..:)

Tom,
Get yourself a TwinMax.. TB balance is a good thing, and 9 volt batteries are cheap..

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you think of it, get two.. I'll pay you for the second death..:)

Tom,
Get yourself a TwinMax.. TB balance is a good thing, and 9 volt batteries are cheap..
LOL. And moi? Sidetrack a discussion? I am offended...and outraged...and one time I rode down to Big Sur. I was about 500 ft above the water and there was an endangered sea otter covered in mud flopping on the side of the road. For real. How weird is that? :animal0019:

·
Registered
482 Posts
I had a friend die in his sleep last year so I think I'll give up sleeping and
keep riding my motorcycle. :13:

No, I won't. Do you eat high fat foods, walk in traffic, drive a car, drink alcohol, stress about things, constantly look at the glass as half empty, have family and friends, fly in planes, have a history of any terminal disease in your family, drink a lot of coffee, smoke, spend time with people who smoke, work around chemicals, live near powerlines - careful, that shit'll kill you. Life is about mitigating the risk of activities you enjoy. I wear all the gear all the time, ride with constant awareness, and understand the risks. Thanks for the positive thinking though. ;)

Little dialogue I just had on FB. Nimrods. Why do we let them procreate. Tom Schmitz is the smartest person I know and he rides. That's good enough for me. ;)

·
Administrator
8,359 Posts
Get yourself a TwinMax....
One of those, or something very similar, is coming soon.

I'm having a bit of a good time with the GS-911.

T

·
Registered
269 Posts
hijack, but TOM, - what did they burn you for the service? mine is due too. has a blown wheel bearing as well, so its gotta go in for warranty work any way. im short on time, so i might bite the bullet too, but my bmw dealer is 1.5hrs away and very pricey. i dont need to pay someone to measure the thickness of my brake pads and tell me my urine cup is full. last time i took it for 1000km running in, the chain was slapping on the swing arm and it was 300$ for a bike wash.

·
Administrator
8,359 Posts
It's gonna be $300. Basically the 6000 mile service is a three hour job, with a $97/hr shop rate.

A GS-911 and TwinMax pay for themselves real fast.

They wash your bike?

T

·
Premium Member
5,499 Posts
"You're gonna kill yourself on that thing!"

Most people who say that are thinking, in the back of their minds, "Damn, I wish I had the guts to do that!"

BTW, Lockjaw, based on your list, I'm screwed. Might as well keep riding!

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, me too. I resist the urge to say there are a whole lotta things that will kill me before a ****ing MC. :12a:

"You're gonna kill yourself on that thing!"

Most people who say that are thinking, in the back of their minds, "Damn, I wish I had the guts to do that!"

BTW, Lockjaw, based on your list, I'm screwed. Might as well keep riding!

·
Registered
256 Posts
I had a friend die in his sleep last year so I think I'll give up sleeping and
keep riding my motorcycle. :13:
I had a friend fall asleep on his motorcycle riding back from Sturgis in the early 80s. He managed to survive but lost the use of his right BicepTricep. His girfriend lost about an inch of Femur and was pretty banged up. That boy was determined to die in his sleep on a motorcycle because we rode to the West Coast in '82 and he fell alseep riding next to me. Used my KZ 900 horn to wake him up. Always thougth it would make a good obit "Bill passed peacefully in his sleep Wednesday night doing about 75mph on his motorcycle at Interstate Highway 80 exit 405, on his way back from San Diego." "Bill loved riding motorcycles and sleeping outdoors and died doing what he loved."
Regards
Mark

1 - 20 of 28 Posts